• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Daron Rose and Josh Bellamy join 2010 class!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  37,653
  • Days Won:  29

2 NEED Positions !

Sure Bellamy will be at Safety.

Sucks that Rose would be gone for the UF game though. Suspended 1st 3 games ?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

I trust that we'll be solid in '10...but dude, we're losing probably the two best players ever to step on the field here.

Do we have talent still here? Ya. But it's all potential.

Plus returning 5 guy on the oline means sqwat, they aren't very good to begin with and will be replaced.

REALLY?  You think the two best players?  I love Grothe, but I would still take MB at QB over him.  I love Selvie, but let me see another sophomore year production before crowning him ahead of Kawika Mitchell, or Anthony Henry, or Mike Jenkins.

THIS is the transition year, we lost 22 seniors, two top coordinators, and have a rebuilt OL coming back.  Next year we've got 10 offensive starters returning, with key back-ups coming out of our ears.  If the staff handles it correctly BJ Daniels will be experienced and cagy by then.

On defense we'll return 6-7 starters, but we'll have two senior DT's, and possibly two senior starting DE's...two senior LB's...and three starters returning in the backfield.

Oh, and the team will have a year of experience under Tresey and Canales...and we've got JUCO All-Americans - DE Claude Davis, and Weatherspoon coming in in January-- two four star guys.

I don't how much more stacked you can get as a team.  I'll hate to lose Grothe because he's a competitor, but let me see after his senior season.  Between fumbles and INT's he's averaged 17 turnovers a season--- some teams don't even do that.  Selvie is great, but he's possibly 245lbs soaked...teams have figured out he can be chipped, and doubled enough to at least contain.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Again relying on potential and relying on results are two different things...

MB was great but he was doing it against mid-majors...

I'm sorry but many people on here are expecting WVU to step back even though they return 15 starters...and the probably will losing Pat White.

What about UF next fall? People will say they will take a step back losing Tebow and a couple defensive players (Brandon Spikes among them), but they're still slated to likely return 16 guys with a couple juniors turning pro as the majority of the team won't be eligible for the draft. And they will take a step back.

Take off the green and gold glasses and quit turding on Grothe and Selvie...

Understand Grothe's slipperiness is an unbelievable asset that has bailed us in 6-7 games. Sure Daniels is fast, but slippery? Big difference.

Selvie's constant double teams allow the interior line to look so good, without him there offenses will be able to go one on one.

Be reasonable, next fall is most definitly going to be a treansition, two guys who have been huge impacts on the roster the last four years are gone...along with several other great defenders.

It's most definitly going to be viewed and Probably will be a transition year.

Relax...it doesn't mean we'll suck. It just means we'll have a few bumps in the road.

Again relying on potential and relying on results are two different things...

MB was great but he was doing it against mid-majors...

I'm sorry but many people on here are expecting WVU to step back even though they return 15 starters...and the probably will losing Pat White.

What about UF next fall? People will say they will take a step back losing Tebow and a couple defensive players (Brandon Spikes among them), but they're still slated to likely return 16 guys with a couple juniors turning pro as the majority of the team won't be eligible for the draft. And they will take a step back.

Take off the green and gold glasses and quit turding on Grothe and Selvie...

Understand Grothe's slipperiness is an unbelievable asset that has bailed us in 6-7 games. Sure Daniels is fast, but slippery? Big difference.

Selvie's constant double teams allow the interior line to look so good, without him there offenses will be able to go one on one.

Be reasonable, next fall is most definitly going to be a treansition, two guys who have been huge impacts on the roster the last four years are gone...along with several other great defenders.

It's most definitly going to be viewed and Probably will be a transition year.

Relax...it doesn't mean we'll suck. It just means we'll have a few bumps in the road.

whatever joe, be as pragmatic as you'd like.  All i can tell you is the sentiment around the program is that if they can have a good year this year then 2010 could be monsterous.  To many returning players, and lots of production coming back. 

You spin it however you'd like...losing grothe and selvie will hurt but welcome to college ball.  But returning 17 starters is huge.  I have no idea what you are earthly talking about regardin 'potential'....as if McClain, or Hill, or Ford, or Taylor will not have production next year.  There is 'potential' every year, welcome to college ball.  I am nervous how we're going to replace three senior DB's, and McKenzie...but that's the beauty of college ball, each year players step up.  Also, the stastics are overwhelmingly in favor of the fact that typically the teams that return more starters tend to have more successful seasons. 

This year is the transition year.  If you walked up to leavitt right now, he'd tell you that verbatim.  He lost 22 seniors, and his top two coordinators.  To Leavitt this year is transition....and 2010, and possibly 2011 hold the most promise.  It is up to Grothe, and Selvie to make this year less of a 'transition' as possible.

but i am sure you'll explain something anything even if the numbers don't add up.

Pride,

How is suggesting losing two of our our best players ever an excuse?

We return 15 starters of the current depth chart...the potential is there qnd we gain a few studs...

But it just doesn't work like that. Again why isn't WVU up for a monstorous season? They have the best defense they've had in years and maybe the most electri player in college football in Devine...because the lost Pat White! Forget the fact that they return three All-conference players.

Look at Oklahoma, are they in a transition year? They lost 6 starters,4 of 5 starters on their line, 2 stud WRs...

But they return Sam Bradford and Gerald McCoy...next year? Transition year...will they suck because of that? No they'll probably be top 10, but hit a few bumps on the way.

Penn state is another great example, they return 10 starters total, but they're not in a transition year because the best players on last years's 1 loss team all return.

We're not on that level, and we did lose a lot! I'm sorry but I don't believe a team that returns two guys like Grothe and Selvie are in a transition.

That should be in '10 we return 15 starters

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Do you have any idea what this team before you will do?

If your answer is no then this is a transition year.

Del, the way the Bulls have been you can say that every year.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Funny. Two years ago I was very confident. Last year, I thought "if this Roberts guy doesn't kill us we can win 9 again". He did kill us unfortunately.

This year we can win 11 games or we can win 5. To me that is a transition year.

Funny. Two years ago I was very confident. Last year, I thought "if this Roberts guy doesn't kill us we can win 9 again". He did kill us unfortunately.

This year we can win 11 games or we can win 5. To me that is a transition year.

Precisely.  Joe stated next year is transitional, but it is not by pure definition or the overall feeling around the athletic department.  As scary as this sounds this season is the transition one, this is the one that leavitt and crew are really not sure what to expect.  Joe says our two best players in history are leaving-- Selvie and Grothe...how does that make something a 'transition year' when as of today we'd be returning 5 starting OL, starting TE (Shields, or Ketchel as the staff is saying today), Ford/Taylor will eventually regain as starters in the backfield, Kelly as H-Back/FB, at WR we return Bogans, Love, Mitchell, and Griffin who all appear slated to start.  yeah that offense looks completely uncertain.   This is college football great players leave each year.

On defense we lose Selvie, Allen, Harris, Murphy, and Wilson as starters...but as of today our starting DL is Selvie, McClain, Grissom and Hampton (3 returning), LB's Joseph, Wilson, and Robinson, DB's Allen, Murphy, Q, and Young....now presuming that Robinson is sub'd in for Lejiste, and Webster quite a bit at nickel.

Again, that would be quite a bit returning for USF...as well as two big time JUCO All-Americans coming in the spring to fill gaps left at DE, and OLB.

Not to mention all of these guys have a year under Canales and Tresey, which they haven't had this year.

The only real questionmark for 2010, right now, is QB.  How will the team react with a new QB.  That could be answered this year too since Canales said yesterday that BJ and Landi were going to play A LOT this year at QB.

So how is that a 'transition year'...because Selvie and Grothe leave?  We lost the winningest senior class last year, 22 of them, and that hurt.  We had some surprises this year. 

You can call it a transition year in 2010, but most people feel extremely confident with what's returning that 2010, and 2011 could be very special years for the Bulls.  And if we can build some momentum this year then that could pay huge dividends in 2010 and 2011 when so much is returning.  I don't know how things will turn this year, but if BJ continues to look good I feel fairly certain that if we go say 8-5 this year that in 2010 our team will do markedly better with what returns.

Archived