• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CJL: JPP is ready to go.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

JPP isn't redshirting...

why not?

• Content Count:  5,241

I think Forte should redshirt whill JPP, Giddens, Selvie, Marshall, and Bedford play DE.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

He was highly recruited and probably promised playing time right away. It's USF's biggest card in the process

• Content Count:  12,293

and he isnt a guy right out of high school who needs to redshirt to get his strength up.

he is already plenty capable of playing from a phyiscal stand point.  he just needs to catch up on the mental side of it since he has missed some time.

"Ninety percent of this game is half mental"

- Yogi Berra

USF's defense under Burnham was all about assignment football. Let the other guy handle his stuff, you worry about yours. Players who aren't sure of their assignment when a defensive scheme/play is called, can get caught out of position. That is one thing I remember from our Rutgers and Pitt games last year, players getting caught out of position allowing small plays to turn into big ones.

JPP will have to learn USF's defense... in that way, he's not TOO far behind as everyone had to learn the new defense this spring/summer. I would imagine he could be ready to be #2 for the FSU game... and maybe competing for starting time by WVU.

• Content Count:  4,501

Kid will find the going tough early on.  The new guys have been through summer practice, and the veterans the spring also.  I hope nobody has any outlandish expectations that he will start opposite Selvie by the FSU game.

I have great hope for him.  When you are a juco and ranked # 6 in the country I would think it is a given that you  are expected to come in and contribute right away not next year or late in the season.  That being said missing camp could slow the process down but I don't know Tressy's system and how technical it gets.  I would think that with D line it wouldn't be that tough.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

"Ninety percent of this game is half mental"

- Yogi Berra

USF's defense under Burnham was all about assignment football.  Let the other guy handle his stuff, you worry about yours.  Players who aren't sure of their assignment when a defensive scheme/play is called, can get caught out of position.  That is one thing I remember from our Rutgers and Pitt games last year, players getting caught out of position allowing small plays to turn into big ones.

JPP will have to learn USF's defense... in that way, he's not TOO far behind as everyone had to learn the new defense this spring/summer.  I would imagine he could be ready to be #2 for the FSU game... and maybe competing for starting time by WVU.

My concern is that Selvie has gone on record as saying that they are having some trouble picking up Treasy's defense, so, if our senior all-american is having trouble even after the spring, summer workouts, and a week or so of practice (when he said that), I am skeptical that this guy can come in and pick it up right away.

I might be wrong, but I would hate to burn a year for 2-3 plays per game in the last 8-9 games of the season.

As for promises of playing time, I am sure that was all predicated on him being enrolled when practices began, he's missed 2 weeks or so, hard to make that up.

Archived