• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Idiot Of The Year Award(Brett McMurphy).......No media allowed now, wonder why ?

jg

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  959
  • Days Won:  0

What about when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Posted August 10, 2009 by Brett McMurphy

Updated Aug 10, 2009 at 04:08 PM

You hear a lot of things – mostly profanity – on the University of South Florida practice fields when the Bulls compete in “board drills.†They’re basically an offensive and defensive player lining up in a three-point stance and going head-to-head until one is drove into or wrestled to the ground.

Of course, adding to the emotions is the fact the team encircles the players going one-on-one.

In the Bulls’ first day of full pads Monday morning, the board drills were especially heated and entertaining (easy for me to say, I wasn’t getting bulldozed by a 300-pound lineman).

USF special teams coach John Hendrick, who coached the defensive line last season, kept his own running scoreboard between the board drills pitting the offensive and defensive linemen.

“Ten,†Hendrick screamed pointing at the offensive line. “One†he said pointing at the defensive linemen, giving the O-line a clear advantage.

Then, Hendrick threw out a reference that I’m sure absolutely went over every USF players’ head like a bad shotgun center snap.

“I haven’t seen so much domination since Great Britain in World War II,†Hendrick yelled.

Huh? What happened to the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor?

Seconds later, a highly-emotional Ryne Giddins battled with freshman OL John McGhin. After a few seconds of knocking helmets, Giddins, a freshman defensive end from Armwood, shoved McGhin, screaming “I’ve never been underrated, I’ve never been underrated, I’ve never been underrated.†Each time, Giddins, who is black, followed it up by calling McGhin, who is white, a mixture of F-bombs and racial slurs usually directed at blacks.

Other board drill battles included junior college OL Jamar Bass and senior DE George Selvie as the duo battled to what appeared to be a draw – or maybe the slightest edge to Bass.

But by the time the drills were done, it was obvious – at least to Hendrick – who was Monday’s battles.

“13-2†said Hendrick, giving the offensive line the clear victory.

Still kicking: USF coach Jim Leavitt said it’s “too early†to evaluate senior K/P Delbert Alvarado. With K Maikon Bonani’s season-ending injury, Alvarado will handle both the place-kicking and punting.

“I’ll let you know as we go,†Leavitt said. “It’s up to Delbert. Delbert can kick. How is going to handle [both] mentally? It’s too early to tell.â€

Other notes: OL Jake Sims (neck) is still not practicing full speed. “I have no idea [when he’ll return],†Leavitt said. … Freshman RB Bradley Battles asked to be moved to defensive back. “I didn’t think he really should, but I let him do what he wants,†Leavitt said. “He’s not going to play this year either way.†… S Jerrell Young, DL Anthony Hill and TE Jeff Hawkins (hamstring) were slowed by injuries on Monday. OL Zach Hermann returned Monday after missing Sunday’s practice. … Former QB Isaac Virgin, who moved to tight end last weekend, is already making an impact at his new position. “Virgin’s making a move,†Leavitt said. … Leavitt also said that junior RB Mike Ford “did some good things†Monday.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Figures.  >:(

• Content Count:  959

Just reassured why I canceled my subscription. Gator loving, Bull Hating Tampa Trib. Some things are off limits when you have access like that. What does he know? I am sure he never ever played sports and does not know anything about heat of the battle..........

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

How's he an idiot?  It's a brilliant move, in a Clouseau type fashion.  Now instead of Greg and usfnation getting scoops and pumping out much more information than the Trib, everyone is denied access.  No more updates by anyone.  I doubt that was the intent, but that's the resut.

• Content Count:  12,293

WOW.

i usually defend brett here...not cause i agree with everything he does or writes...but because i think he brings a good balance to greg's style.

but this is completely over the line.  that information he is sharing about the interactions at practice is completely uncalled for.  that is not newsworthy information and there is no story there....other than to try and make giddens sound like a punk.

i really hope something comes out of his (other than just a complete media boycott)

Brett really crossed the line there.

• Content Count:  5,245
  • Days Won:  2

you mean football players curse on the field?

NO WAY!!!111

::)

the funniest part was the way McMoron made a racial issue out of the language Giddens was using.

love it or hate it, there are segments of the population for whom using F-bombs and N-bombs-- especially in the heat of competition-- is not abnormal or offensive. 

there is room for a debate about vulgarity and decency in sports, but NOT from a beat writer/journalist who is supposed to be providing readers with NEWS.

i want updates about USF athletics, not Brett McMumblephuck's little moral asides about the language a player uses on the field.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,038
  • Days Won:  469

Throughout camp, players and coaches will be available for interviews after practice, but no portion of practice itself will be open to the media.

I don't know why this time, but I hope it's closed for good reason and not more of the same old stuff.

Okay, it looks like the same old same old

http://thebullspen.com/index.php?topic=61885.0

I have to wonder if he carries cameras into bathrooms..

You hear a lot of things – mostly profanity – on the University of South Florida practice fields when the Bulls compete in “board drills.” They’re basically an offensive and defensive player lining up in a three-point stance and going head-to-head until one is drove into or wrestled to the ground.

Of course, adding to the emotions is the fact the team encircles the players going one-on-one.

In the Bulls’ first day of full pads Monday morning, the board drills were especially heated and entertaining (easy for me to say, I wasn’t getting bulldozed by a 300-pound lineman).

USF special teams coach John Hendrick, who coached the defensive line last season, kept his own running scoreboard between the board drills pitting the offensive and defensive linemen.

“Ten,” Hendrick screamed pointing at the offensive line. “One” he said pointing at the defensive linemen, giving the O-line a clear advantage.

Then, Hendrick threw out a reference that I’m sure absolutely went over every USF players’ head like a bad shotgun center snap.

“I haven’t seen so much domination since Great Britain in World War II,” Hendrick yelled.

Seconds later, a highly-emotional Ryne Giddins battled with freshman OL John McGhin. After a few seconds of knocking helmets, Giddins, a freshman defensive end from Armwood, shoved McGhin, screaming “I’ve never been underrated, I’ve never been underrated, I’ve never been underrated.” Each time, Giddins, who is black, followed it up by calling McGhin, who is white, a mixture of F-bombs and racial slurs usually directed at blacks.

Other board drill battles included junior college OL Jamar Bass and senior DE George Selvie as the duo battled to what appeared to be a draw – or maybe the slightest edge to Bass.

But by the time the drills were done, it was obvious – at least to Hendrick – who was Monday’s battles.

“13-2” said Hendrick, giving the offensive line the clear victory.

Still kicking: USF coach Jim Leavitt said it’s “too early” to evaluate senior K/P Delbert Alvarado. With K Maikon Bonani’s season-ending injury, Alvarado will handle both the place-kicking and punting.

“I’ll let you know as we go,” Leavitt said. “It’s up to Delbert. Delbert can kick. How is going to handle [both] mentally? It’s too early to tell.”

Other notes: OL Jake Sims (neck) is still not practicing full speed. “I have no idea [when he’ll return],” Leavitt said. … Freshman RB Bradley Battles asked to be moved to defensive back. “I didn’t think he really should, but I let him do what he wants,” Leavitt said. “He’s not going to play this year either way.” … S Jerrell Young, DL Anthony Hill and TE Jeff Hawkins (hamstring) were slowed by injuries on Monday. OL Zach Hermann returned Monday after missing Sunday’s practice. … Former QB Isaac Virgin, who moved to tight end last weekend, is already making an impact at his new position. “Virgin’s making a move,” Leavitt said. … Leavitt also said that junior RB Mike Ford “did some good things” Monday.

Where is the link to that story, was it pulled?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,608
  • Days Won:  424

You hear a lot of things – mostly profanity – on the University of South Florida practice fields when the Bulls compete in “board drills.†They’re basically an offensive and defensive player lining up in a three-point stance and going head-to-head until one is drove into or wrestled to the ground.

“Ten,†Hendrick screamed pointing at the offensive line. “One†he said pointing at the defensive linemen, giving the O-line a clear advantage.

“I haven’t seen so much domination since Great Britain in World War II,†Hendrick yelled.

Seconds later, a highly-emotional Ryne Giddins battled with freshman OL John McGhin. After a few seconds of knocking helmets, Giddins, a freshman defensive end from Armwood, shoved McGhin, screaming “I’ve never been underrated, I’ve never been underrated, I’ve never been underrated.†Each time, Giddins, who is black, followed it up by calling McGhin, who is white, a mixture of F-bombs and racial slurs usually directed at blacks.

“13-2†said Hendrick, giving the offensive line the clear victory.

Still kicking: USF coach Jim Leavitt said it’s “too early†to evaluate senior K/P Delbert Alvarado. With K Maikon Bonani’s season-ending injury, Alvarado will handle both the place-kicking and punting.

“I’ll let you know as we go,†Leavitt said. “It’s up to Delbert. Delbert can kick. How is going to handle [both] mentally? It’s too early to tell.â€

Other notes: OL Jake Sims (neck) is still not practicing full speed. “I have no idea [when he’ll return],†Leavitt said. … Freshman RB Bradley Battles asked to be moved to defensive back. “I didn’t think he really should, but I let him do what he wants,†Leavitt said. “He’s not going to play this year either way.†… S Jerrell Young, DL Anthony Hill and TE Jeff Hawkins (hamstring) were slowed by injuries on Monday. OL Zach Hermann returned Monday after missing Sunday’s practice. … Former QB Isaac Virgin, who moved to tight end last weekend, is already making an impact at his new position. “Virgin’s making a move,†Leavitt said. … Leavitt also said that junior RB Mike Ford “did some good things†Monday.

Where is the link to that story, was it pulled?

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/related/C127/

or was that a rhetorical question?

Archived