• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tampa-The Football Capital of Florida?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  971
  • Days Won:  0

I was just thinking about which Florida city makes the best case for calling itself The Football Capital of Florida.  With the demise of the Orange Bowl facility, I think you'd have to now give the nod to Tampa.  Sorry Jax, you don't have a BCS College team. 

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Miami easily IMO.

The Miami Dade area is a mecca for high school recruiting and pumps out d1 prospects like its no big thing

The U's championships are very hard to ignore even with their recent struggles

The Miami Dolphins have won multiple super bowls and are the only NFL team to go undefeated and win the super bowl

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

Obviously it'd be between Tampa and Miami even though Gainesville would argue with you to be included, haha. Honestly though, I don't think the Bucs' history comes close to comparing with the Dolphins' winning history, as much as I am a Bucs fan (well, disclaimer - not since Dungy left). In addition, we can't come close to claiming similar winning tradition to UMiami - yet. The OB was destroyed but the Miami Dolphins and Miami Hurricanes still exist, and they play in a stadium in Miami (just like USF plays in the same stadium as the Bucs). Much as I dislike Miami, I don't think Tampa can compare yet. You might be a little biased there, buddy!  ;)

I guess you're equating Miami with Miami Gardens . . . I wasn't.

• Content Count:  12,293

I guess you're equating Miami with Miami Gardens . . . I wasn't.

why not? its still miami.

heck, you were including the dolphins and miami gardens is closer to "miami" then joe robbie stadium or pro player or landshark or whatever it is

but i think you have to go with miami.

although tampa did have a pretty good AFL team

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

Miami's college AND pro football teams have historically had more success than Tampa's.

SuperBowl titles:

Dolphins - 2

Bucs - 1

National titles:

Hurricanes - 5

Bulls - 0

and while the 'Phins' glory days are further down the memory hole than the Bucs', the 'Canes won a BCS title this decade. and despite the perception that the USF football program is on the upswing while UM is on the decline, USF has still racked up 4 and 5 losses during seasons which were considered "successful" by our program's standards.  even with their current slump, 4 and 5-loss seasons similar to ours wouldn't be anything to get 'Canes fans excited down in Miami.

there is also more abundant HS talent coming out of the Miami-Dade area, as someone already mentioned.

as much as i am a fan of Tampa teams [uSF obviously, as well as the Bucs and loosely following various Bay Area high schools], there is no way Tampa is the capital of Florida football over Miami.

all that said... a win at Ray Jay in late November gives us a chance to start turning the momentum in our direction.

• Content Count:  5,241

Miami quite easily

I was trying to point out that the City of Miami, from its leaders to its electorate, no longer support the game the way they once did decades ago.  Hence there is no longer any college football, NFL football, or major bowl games being played in the city.  In contrast, Tampa does support all of these things with a first-class football venue in its city limits.

• Content Count:  1,251

Miami....and a discussion should not even take place for this

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,502
  • Days Won:  13

I was trying to point out that the City of Miami, from its leaders to its electorate, no longer support the game the way they once did decades ago.  Hence there is no longer any college football, NFL football, or major bowl games being played in the city.  In contrast, Tampa does support all of these things with a first-class football venue in its city limits.

Wow,

So the Rays are not Tampa's team because they dont play within the city limits?

Archived