• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Pretty clear who WVU is concerned with, and rightfully so...

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Bulls still on defensive?

New York Yankees misanthrope Wally Burnham is no longer the great and grizzled defensive coordinator at South Florida. I’m told that’s a sign of the camaraderie of the USF coaching staff — it’s musical headsets there — and that that state of coexistence perhaps explains how a team with that much talent is picked to finish fourth in the Big East.

Maybe WVU started to remove the thorn from its side with last year’s home win against the Bulls, but Burnham pulled it all the way out when he headed to Iowa State in the offseason. What’s bad news for USF is great news for WVU.

“Wally’s been a great friend, I’m a big admirer of him,” Stewart said. “But I’m glad he’s out west.”

Under Burnham, USF’s defense throttled WVU the past three seasons. WVU averaged 12.7 points and 153 yards rushing vs. USF, compared to 36 points and 284 yards rushing the past three years against every other opponent.

Link

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

last time i checked wally wasnt wearing a helmet and shoulder pads.

cant wait to play these guys again and prove that with wally leaving we still have a solid defense

They're off and running with a chemistry/personality issue at USF.  Good.

• Content Count:  4,451

Curious to WVU stats vs UC the last two seasons.

• Content Count:  4,642

it's going to even more stingy with our new coaching staff.

• Content Count:  1,757

After O-line this is the biggest ? mark of the season to me.  Burnham was one heckuva technique guy, but was he really that great as the D-coordinator?  There were times I felt he was way too conservative last year (but a softer than usual secondary may have affected that).  It'll be interesting to see if the defensive production stays on par this and the next few seasons under Tresey.  I think we're going to see a few more turnovers this season. 

• Content Count:  1,757

I don't have the stats, but the scores say a lot:

Two years prior to Tresey:

`05 Cinci lost to WVa 38-0

`06 Cinci lost to WVa 42-21

Two years under Tresey:

`07 Cinci lost to WVa 28-23

`08 Cinci beat WVa 23-36

While it's not the 12.7 points per game our Bull D put up, 25.5 ppg for Cinci under Tresey is still 10.5 ppg less than the WVa average. 

• Content Count:  1,204

I don't have the stats, but the scores say a lot:

Two years prior to Tresey:

`05 Cinci lost to WVa 38-0

`06 Cinci lost to WVa 42-21

Two years under Tresey:

`07 Cinci lost to WVa 28-23

`08 Cinci beat WVa 23-36

While it's not the 12.7 points per game our Bull D put up, 25.5 ppg for Cinci under Tresey is still 10.5 ppg less than the WVa average.   

And worth noting that Cincy didn't have the same type of talent as USF has.  Props have to be given to Kelly for what he's done there.  Same for Dantonio before him.

But I think Tresey could really set things on fire this year with the ammo he's got. 

I'm excited.  Grothe is the big question mark to me.  Having Marquel return gives me some hope that maybe he can settle it down and be more consistently good. 

Chomping at the bit for Bulls season to begin again!

• Content Count:  1,370

I’m told that’s a sign of the camaraderie of the USF coaching staff — it’s musical headsets there — and that that state of coexistence perhaps explains how a team with that much talent is picked to finish fourth in the Big East.

What an asinine statement. This from a team that lost most of its staff a year and a half ago...they've had FAR more attrition in their coaching staff than USF has. Burnham, Kravitz, Rachel, Smith, Lane, and Frey were at USF YEARS before they eventually moved on. Not to mention WVU has had three head coaches since Leavitt has been at USF.

I’m told that’s a sign of the camaraderie of the USF coaching staff — it’s musical headsets there — and that that state of coexistence perhaps explains how a team with that much talent is picked to finish fourth in the Big East.

What an asinine statement. This from a team that lost most of its staff a year and a half ago...they've had FAR more attrition in their coaching staff than USF has. Burnham, Kravitz, Rachel, Smith, Lane, and Frey were at USF YEARS before they eventually moved on. Not to mention WVU has had three head coaches since Leavitt has been at USF.

From what do you believe this writer forms this opinion? 

Archived