• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Note to USF marketing dept.....

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

For those of us whose work blocks YouTube and every other cool site, what is the video about?

It a preview video for the VA Tech v Alabama game in September.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

If it's so freaking easy... then why don't one of you do it.

Tell you what.  Put together your idea and show me you can do it, and I'll make my library of every game from the past three years available to you.  You can use any video clips you want from any game and then you can show us all just how easy it is.

Put up or shut up.

How bout you calm down and take a breath.... no one said it was easy... the whole point was that what we have now is crap and it wouldn't take much to make it much better...

So do it then... since you are apparently the high authority on not only marketing and the expenses involved within, but also in the effort required to produce something that isn't "crap".

• Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

that video is easy for someone that knows what they are doing.  they didnt use any groundbreaking editing techniques to put together a professional video.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

Tell you what.  Put together your idea and show me you can do it, and I'll make my library of every game from the past three years available to you.  You can use any video clips you want from any game and then you can show us all just how easy it is.

Put up or shut up.

How bout you calm down and take a breath.... no one said it was easy... the whole point was that what we have now is crap and it wouldn't take much to make it much better...

So do it then... since you are apparently the high authority on not only marketing and the expenses involved within, but also in the effort required to produce something that isn't "crap".

WTH?? I never said I was the high authority of anything. I simply posted a video package that was very well done by a student with a laptop and contrasted it to the commercials put out by USF's marketing dept... and I'm not the only one who agreed with the point that there's room for improvment.

Why are you taking this so personal anyways? Are you somehow connected to the marketing dept? If anything I'd think that I have the right to still be pissed at you after the FIU game last season but I had let that go...  ::)

I ain't that deep.... calm down

• Content Count:  12,293

Put up or shut up.

give me a break.  this isnt about who can come up with the best fan submitted video.  its about the lack of an appealing tv ad campaign.  its not just athletics either, our USF commerical that airs during the games is a joke (all that techo music and cheap looking graphics)

this isnt a put up or shut up issue.  this is a 'we are fans and donors of this program and want the people who are PAID to do this do a better job'

your response is pretty immature and quite frankly i'm surprised it came from someone like you. 

you are usually pretty level headed but this one must of struck a nerve. 

i didnt say I could personally do better but i am not a production guy.  however, just because i am not a production guy does not revoke my right to voice my opinion on a freakin message board when i feel that we can do better.

not only can we do better, but we can do better without spending more. 

• Content Count:  122

The in-game university advertisement has sucked for years. It is amateurish at best, and makes the university look bush league.

While we can't all agree on how it needs to be fixed, I think we can all agree that it does not paint a great picture of USF.

• Content Count:  4,016

It's always funny and trippy to see dudes like this clammoring for more from USF.  Yet they forgot about the amazingly expensive, and amazingly interactive webcast stuff that we just passed around on this site that everyone said 'wow that is amazing', 'got me pumped up and wanting to goi workout'.....

It's always more with some on this site.  Forget the fact our athletic department is trying to make room on their budget to pay debt service to build all these new facilities, let's create an amazingly useless, and emotonally wrapped commercial, that because of costs will run at the most inopportune times, because w can?  HUH?  First, the first order of marketing for something small like this is to not make it complicated, particularly in a bandwagon market, when you're marketing to cost conscience individuals that are not true USF fans.  Come on, you guys are college educated, of course you want this commercial because you are all bulls fans, it hits your sweet spot, and your interests.  However there is over 1 million people in the Bay Area that USF is trying to attract.  Most have never been to a bulls game, many don't even know what Leavitt looks like (read Leavitt's twitter page about an auto parts guy asking him if he goes to USF games, and has season tixs), and could care less.  What is frustrating is I meet more people in the bay area that don't even know we're in the BE, or even in a BCS conference, then I do from NE cities up north that recognize us from our BE attention.

Those are the people we are attracting, and that commercial you just saw with Vtech wouldn't even scratch the surface with them for interest.  You need to get the message out load, quick, and clear...that's why we shoot out the game times, opponents, ticket deals, and some exciting teaser.  Trying to pry on their emotions, when there is no emotional attachment is foolishly wasting money.  For those that are emotionally attached, like the posters on this thread, USF;s interactive media guide is more than ample to provide pumping up.  That Hokie commercial never game a time, date, price, package, or teaser.  It was completely on emotion and that isn't going to work in this bandwagon market when we're going after the frugal football fan to try to get him to enough games to eventually get him hooked.

And if you ask why it woks for Vtech....well then you need to just go visit Roanoke, VA, and the blackhills area around their campus.  Everyone is emotionally wrapped around Vtech.  The closest pro team is Charlotte, and nearests college program within 150 miles is maybe James Madison.  Yeah for the nearly 300k folks in that region there is nothing buy Hokies football and they've been emotionally attached for over 50 years.

• Content Count:  4,016

BTW, for those that want to debate about it go watch a Disney, or Busch Gardens commercial.  They're all competing in the highly competitive, highly price conscience entertainment market too.  Most of their commercials are sappy, goofy, with a quirky some, some quick interludes of people having fun, and then they zap right to the price points....

That Vtech thing is cool, but it would be utterly useless for USF as a marketing tool in a commercial.  All it would serve to do is stroke the egos of a few fans, people who USF already gets their money from, but gives zero information to the casual fan, or someone who knows nothing of USF football.  The fans on this site presume that everyone knows about gousfbulls.com...that the entire bay area knows the team schedule and time....No, you need to hit them, and hit them quick before they switch the channel.  A couple of game pics, then "TICKET PACKAGES STARTING AT $99" and "FAMILY PACKAGES...."  Is that cheesy?  Perhaps but so is marketing for entertainment dollars in a bandwagon market.  You want a couple of clips of USF, and our logo so they know who it's for, then a narration pounding the ticket price, with a pretty picture of it (because sometimes people don't listen), and a big WWW.GOUSFBULLS.COM where the narrator says "GO TO WWW.GOUSFBULLS.COM FOR MORE INFORMATION OR CALL 800-..." and with these fans you usually have to say the WWW too.

Some of the Rays commercials are real goofy, and pound on the 'tickets starting at...'come see boble head' 'family fun day'...they've got way, way deeper pockets then us, but if it was just a cool commercial then why don't they do it!  It's about getting those casual fans, and hitting them quickly.  Our commercials on tv are probably a bit goofy, but they're appropriate for marketing and sales pitches to the local casual fans trying to decide what to do on a certain Saturday.  They're not intended for a diehard bulls fan, who already has season tixs, and goes to family funfest, open practice, etc.

• Content Count:  342

Well I see what your are saying, but something needs to be done with the commericals that are run during the games showing off USF. 

Simply put they are bad.

I went back last year and took a couple upper level classes and ths exact subject came up.  Not sure if it was the prof idea or that they were fishing for great ideas to submit, but all of the suggestions and action boards we came up with were better than the ones that were currently running at the time.

All the classes that worked on this project agreed that they hated the current commercials.  The feeling is mutual from grads to current students about this subject.

On a side note I did love the new Media Guide.  That probably was the first of its kind here and I hope this is the start of a new direction with they way we appeal to new fans.

Archived