• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Where will Chico call plays this year?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  971
  • Days Won:  0

Will he be in the pressbox or on the sidelines?  I'm assuming he'll be up top, but I think he'll be missed on the sidelines.  He's seems to be pretty good at talking to players face-to-face, keeping them motivated and focused on the game.  Where did he set up shop when he was OC in our early days?  I don't remember.  Help?

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Will he be in the pressbox or on the sidelines?  I'm assuming he'll be up top, but I think he'll be missed on the sidelines.  He's seems to be pretty good at talking to players face-to-face, keeping them motivated and focused on the game.  Where did he set up shop when he was OC in our early days?  I don't remember.  Help?

Who cares, he could do it blindfolded from the sweetbay down the street and it would still be an improvement.

OC needs to be in the booth so they can see everything, but I like him on the field as well. We'll see, wouldn't mind having someone else in the booth that can report to him and still have Chico on the field.

• Content Count:  4,016

He will definitely be in the box, but his replacement on the field will be Coach Phil, who's like a clone of Canales, with the same type of fire.  Ditto for Byrd who will probably be down there as well.

• Content Count:  1,777

I think Bird will be in the box and Chico and Phil will be on the field. Burnham was the DC for years and he did it from the field.

I think Bird will be in the box and Chico and Phil will be on the field. Burnham was the DC for years and he did it from the field.

Chico will be in the box.  If not he'd be the first not to be up there.  This isn't a guessing game, typically the OC is in the box to see everything- best perspective.  THere is absolutely no reason for him to be on the field now.  I expect, as usually the case Simmonds, and Phil to be on the field-- because the receivers and OL coach are usually down on the field to draw the schemes on whiteboards.

• Content Count:  714
  • Days Won:  1

If I remember correctly, I believe that Chico called plays from the sidelines during his first go round as the OC.

• Content Count:  4,738

agreed

• Content Count:  3

As long as they aren't as predictable as Gregory's it doesn't matter. All the players love Chico and it can't get worse so let's just pray Grothe and the rest of the team executes what he calls!!!

If I remember correctly, I believe that Chico called plays from the sidelines during his first go round as the OC.

He did not either....Chico will be in the box, or will be forced to be in the box soon enough.  You must have at least two offensive guys in the box...no way the WR's or OL coach will be up there, so it's Franks and Chico.  If Chico is on the sidelines then who's in the box?  Franks?  Sure but all staffs have at least two guys in the box, one to watch defensive formations.

This isn't pop warner boys, only an amateur coordinator is on the sidelines.  Chico was in the box at Zona as the Coordinator...he knows how to do it.  It's a joke to suggest otherwise.

BTW, DC's on the field is an entirely different ball game....defensive coaches run simpler schemes, and can be radio'd down what the offense is doing.  They need to be able to yell commands from the sidelines, and fire guys up emotionally.  Offense is less emotion and more precision.

OC's need to see the full field.  Even head coaches who call their own plays have two guys in the box being their eyes. 

Archived