• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Khyri Thornton not coming to USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  335
  • Days Won:  1

Agree, football is about winning and developing kids.  If the NCAA clears them then USF should too.  Let the academics worry about creating the academic reputation of the school.  Frankly don't see many of them making all that big of an impact anyway.  As stated its not like we are Duke or Harvard.  I would love to see the kids that grades excluded from a place like USC, Oklahoma, Florida, FSU, Ohio State and the like.  Heck not even mentioning the Maurice Claretts, Reggie Bush's and the prior sex assualt types (see Tennessee and Lane Kiffen).  Football like it or not is about winning amd making money.   How many of thes players are honestly going to make or break our school's academic reputation?  The NCAA graduation stats are a joke for the most part anyway.  Compare those numbers to the general student body populations at most schools and I bet the numbers are pretty consistent.  Not like most that enter schools are finished in 4 years or graduate themselves.  Many never finish and many don't achieve the grades themselves either.  Lets just compete and win.  We have enough to overcome to compete with the bigs boys as isl.

• Topic Count:  2,343
  • Content Count:  21,362
  • Days Won:  10

Its a catch 22, let him in and he does not finish the USF score for NCAA goes down then they take schollie's away.  I guess the committee did not see a track record and improvement in this guy and decided he was not worth the risk. 

• Topic Count:  479
  • Content Count:  1,991
  • Days Won:  0

USF=Harvard of the South..................So our administrators believe, this is so pathetic

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Wasnt that the way we landed the OG Bass?

He was given a scholarship to Illinois, accepted it and the Illinois declined his admission for not having met their requirements and he signs with the Bulls

It's quit a bit different.

USF only accepted Bass AFTER he took additional classes in the spring semester. Bass COULD have also qualified for Ill at THAT point.

Bass would have faced the same problem, as he did at Ill, if he had attempted to enroll at USF for the spring semester. He was missing some mandatory credits.

• Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

I like how current and past students (I assume) are so proud of their school's reputation that they want anyone who can play football worth a lick admitted no matter how marginal their academic resume. Do you think Thornton would get admitted if he was just a regular kid applying?

This isn't the Ivy League, but jeez, I'm glad there are some kind of standards.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  479
  • Content Count:  1,991

I like how current and past students (I assume) are so proud of their school's reputation that they want anyone who can play football worth a lick admitted no matter how marginal their academic resume. Do you think Thornton would get admitted if he was just a regular kid applying?

This isn't the Ivy League, but jeez, I'm glad there are some kind of standards.

Schools with much better academic reputations and rankings let any athlete in that passes the NCAA clearinghouse, who the heck are we to be different.... Are we trying to make a point or something??

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Well this just reminds me of Saban's comment last year about the (low) academic quality of our recruits and how they would have not gotten on Alabama's squad, I am thinking it was over the Jamar Taylor coming here instead of there. I know of 1 of our players that was described by a teacher that knew him in high school as the nicest kid in the world but he could barely spell his name. But if you guys think its OK to admit borderline academic players, well...maybe this new UFL is where kids like this should play if they have talent but not the academics. In another thread someone pointed out they should not have an age limit in that new league and considering this topic on poor students, now I see why that is a good idea. I just don't know how 18-19-20 year olds are going to play with 13-15 year NFL vets who have lost their position. I guess it will be extreme Joes vs Pros.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  292

Man oh man what a bunch of whining!!! USF held their standards high for once and didnt admit a player. BFD!

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

i wish we all knew what the "standards" are for what our own academic committee will or will not approve.

This!!!!  It's fine if you aren't going to let a kid in, but when you extend a kid a schollie, he clears the NCAA and then your own academic board then pulls it?  Makes us look like a bunch of MORONS!

I'd say it makes *him* look like a moron. USF isn't exactly a difficult school to gain admission to.

What are you afraid the next recruit in his position will think? "Man, I'm a really, really bad student. Maybe I shouldn't go to USF." OK, bye!

The point that we're ok in that position means NOTHING.  It's the point that our coaching staff for the second year in a row really just did a mind job on a recruit.

I don't even know what this means.

I've been through the recruiting stuff so I know exactly what's going through this kid's head.  You can bet that he's told everyone he knows he was going to USF, wearing the gear, probably bragging etc, and now he's DUMPED!  Not by the NCAA, but by USF!!!

I love this kind of self-glorifying nonsense. Whatever recruitment process you went through is irrelevant.

Forget losing this kid. How about the kid we didn't get bc of the time we put in on this one?  It's opportunity cost and reputation that we just WASTED.

Probably nobody. Remember Leavitt signed more than the allowed number of players because he thought some would not qualify.

We look so amateur right now...If I was this kid I'd be pissed and think we were an absolute joke...you can bet the recruiters from our rivals will be using this one and last years when they are in a kids ear we want on the next go around...

You seem to assume the coaches assured this kid he would be admitted to USF. I don't know why you assume that. The coaches have nothing to do with admissions (and that's a good thing).

"How do you know your LOI is really any good at USF?  See what happened to these kids...their coaches can't even back up their promises to you.  Come to us, we'll stand by our word.  If we promise you a schollie when you sign, you'll have one!  Don't waste your time with USF, their small time and it shows that they don't even know how to work with their own friggin committee and it doesn't matter if you're cleared by the NCAA.  If the coaches don't even know you can get in, how can you feel so confident about that LOI?"

Typical of an "academic committee"...no common sense...

Maybe the player didn't live up to his promise to get admitted to USF...

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Some of you guys are what's wrong with college sports and the reason some people associated with USF never wanted to have football.

This kid had to know he was borderline.  I don't mind USF having (slightly) higher requirements than the NCAA.