• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East and Bowl Games

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  335
  • Days Won:  1

Anyone heard anything about which bowls games the Big East is talking to?  With contracts expiring soon the conference really needs to get us some good matchups.  Any preferences among our fans? 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  6,815
  • Days Won:  22

I would hope our #2 with ND gets the Outback Bowl in Tampa.

Sorry, chum.  The Outback loves having the Big Ten #3 and SEC #3...

I am willing to bet the next bowls are going to be about the same.

The Gator wants the Big East to share it's tie in with both Notre Dame and with the Big Ten (instead of the Big 12)... the folks in Jacksonville don't really like the new Big East... the only saving grace is the Big 10's #2 (Capital One), and #3 (Outback) are tied up... Will the Gator Bowl take the Big Ten #4 or #5 team over the #2 Big East team?

The Big Ten likes Florida Bowl games... so they might drop the Alamo for the Gator... but the fact that the Citrus Bowl expansion has been stalled could place the Capital One and Champs Sports bowl in trouble...

There could be some very big changes on the Bowl front... but the Big East is not really in a position of strength... we will get the "sloppy seconds" ...

• Content Count:  6,815
  • Days Won:  22

He asked for our preferences. I agree we wont get it but it would be my preference for our #2

• Content Count:  335
  • Days Won:  1

For me I would love for the Big East to get one of the Orlando Bowls.  I think the St.Pete bowl could be valuable in the future as well.  Would also like to keep Car Care, Papa Johns.  Think Texas Bowl and maybe the one in D.C. would also be good fits.  The Gator is a pain that clearly has no love for the conference and I would be fine if we just moved on although for travel purposes it could be a great match for us.

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

but the Big East is not really in a position of strength...

Compared to what??  Compared to the SEC, sure.  But compared to last go around, this isn't true.  The BE was though to be DEAD last time, and was able to keep Gator part time and get sun.  So if anything, this round will be slightly better.

Compared to the SEC, the ACC, the Big 12 , the Big 10, and the Pac 10...

Figure the #5 or 6 teams in those conference are probably more appealing than the #2 or #3 Big East team..

So when you think about bowls that could be Big East bowls... you can pretty much forget:

Capital One

Outback

Chick-Fil-A

You might see the Gator Bowl swap with the Champs Bowl... where the Big Ten #4/5 team goes to the Gator and the Big East #2 goes to Champs.  (Don't forget, they took the Big 12 #5 team twice... so a 8-4 Wisconsin or Iowa might be more appealing to the Gator folks than a 9-3 Louisville or Pittsburgh).

The Gator was in the mix because they thought their four bowls would be Texas, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, and West Virginia. Not because they could get Rutgers, U Conn, or Cincinnati.

My guess is this round we will actually be slightly worse... with no more Gator Bowl.

• Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

i dont really care which bowls the big east has i just hope that the tie-ins for the big east bowls improve.  i dont like playing C USA teams in bowl games.  id like to see more bcs conf tie ins.  i dont care if its the #6 or 7 teams in those conf.  or maybe link up with some moutain west or wac teams.  something where we get to play some different teams.

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

I don't see how they can be worse than last time, when the BE was thought to be COMPLETELY DEAD, and losing it's bcs bid.

I don't see how they can be worse than last time, when the BE was thought to be COMPLETELY DEAD, and losing it's bcs bid.

Easy. No Gator Bowl and nothing to replace it.

1 - BCS

2 - Car Care Bowl

3 - St Pete Bowl

4 - PapaJohns.com Bowl

5 - International Bowl

That would be worse.

Archived