• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East and Bowl Games

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

I don't see how they can be worse than last time, when the BE was thought to be COMPLETELY DEAD, and losing it's bcs bid.

Easy. No Gator Bowl and nothing to replace it.

1 - BCS

2 - Car Care Bowl

3 - St Pete Bowl

4 - PapaJohns.com Bowl

5 - International Bowl

That would be worse.

The gator doesn't have a better option that be#2/nd.  And even if they did, that would naturally open up another bowl somewhere, not the lineup you just posted.  The sun bowl would be ecstatic to get ND and the BE #2 full time, because they want nd so bad.  I just read an article about how attractive the BE#2/nd would be to bowls.  You're selling the BE short and assuming that a lower tier team from another conf. would be more attracive).  The Gator would never get the Texas and Oklahomas of the world.  Do you really think think a steady diet of Texas Tech to the gator is what they want, over BE #2 and ND?

The MCC will not be the be #2 bowl

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/9579152/Big-East-football-wants-to-improve-Gator-Bowl-deal-

"I'd think if the Big East is shopping its top (non-BCS) team and Notre Dame, there'd be a lot of interest," said Steve Hogan, CEO of Florida Citrus Sports, which operates the Capital One and Champs Sports bowls in Orlando.

Whatever the Big East does will again weigh heavily on the role of Notre Dame.

"Their conference has done pretty well in terms of bowl matchups and fan following in recent years and obviously there's the impact of Notre Dame and how they'll stay in the lineup and what possibilities they'll have," Fox said.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends on your perspective.  We're biased, so we think BE#2/ND is better than Big Ten #4 or SEC #6... but the folks in Jacksonville might think otherwise.

The Gator Bowl president said something to the effect of, how many times will WVU fans travel to Jax...  they clearly think the Big East begins and ends with WVU and ND.  So I could see them working a "share" with, say, Champs bowl... where the Gator could get a Big Ten team instead of, say, U Conn.

The Capitol One bowl will not be making changes... hard to argue that BE#2/ND is better than Big Ten #2 or SEC #2...

Most people think the Big East and Mountain West are comparable... and the MWC only has four bowls.

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

It depends on your perspective.  We're biased, so we think BE#2/ND is better than Big Ten #4 or SEC #6... but the folks in Jacksonville might think otherwise.

The Gator Bowl president said something to the effect of, how many times will WVU fans travel to Jax...  they clearly think the Big East begins and ends with WVU and ND.  So I could see them working a "share" with, say, Champs bowl... where the Gator could get a Big Ten team instead of, say, U Conn.

The Capitol One bowl will not be making changes... hard to argue that BE#2/ND is better than Big Ten #2 or SEC #2...

Most people think the Big East and Mountain West are comparable... and the MWC only has four bowls.

If the Gator thinks the be begins and ends with wvu, why were they trying to bring in usf for a neutral site game?  They know usf would be a good draw (whether USF got invited is another story). 

• Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

in terms of traveling to a bowl game....the #4 big 10 and #6 SEC will almost always be a better draw.  but i think the bowl committee should also consider the caliber of their game.  the #4 big 10 team is probably not a ranked team and the #6 also very unlikely to be ranked.  especially as more and more mac,wac,mountain conf teams get ranked.

If the Gator thinks the be begins and ends with wvu, why were they trying to bring in usf for a neutral site game?  They know usf would be a good draw (whether USF got invited is another story). 

They think USF would be fine for a non Gator Bowl game... a neutral site game would have no expectations... and, if I recall correctly, they wanted FSU to play USF... which means they thought FSU would sell the tickets and anything USF sold would be bonus.

I know we like to think we travel well, but we don't.  Look at the FSU game... yes, we sold out enough to request more tickets... but many people are able to get extra tickets.  Doesn't sound like we're sending more than 5-6 thousand to Tallahassee... how would we send 12,000 to Jacksonville to play Clemson or Georgia Tech?

• Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

yea we arent road warriors by any means.  give us another 10 years and maybe it will change but when bowl committees look at the big east they dont consider USF a prime option YET

yea we arent road warriors by any means.  give us another 10 years and maybe it will change but when bowl committees look at the big east they dont consider USF a prime option YET

I agree 100% ... in 10 years, as USF fans get used to the idea of bowl games... get used to having a successful program... then we'll be a great travelling team...

But it's not just USF that doesn't travel well... only WVU, Pitt, and maybe Louisville and Rutgers have proven they can sell their allotments... U Conn and Cincy have not been able to do that... and 'Cuse hasn't been to a bowl in so long, who knows.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Here is what I'd like to see...

1 - BCS Bowl Bid

2 - Liberty Bowl (*Could pave the way for BE expansion)

3 - Car Care Bowl

4 - St Pete Bowl

5 - PapaJohns.com Bowl

6 - New Orleans Bowl (*Still a trip to Nawlens)

7 - International Bowl

It would be nice if they could add a Mississippi or South Carolina bowl game... they are both close States and it would be a nice road trip.

• Content Count:  66,074
  • Days Won:  172

not much will change

Archived