• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Potential 2009 hoops roster

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

and you can say Dumars is a shooting guard... but at 6'5 or 6'6, 230+, he's as heavy as gilchrist who is at least 3 inches taller (similar build to Zaronn Cann).  I listed him as a SF due to his size... but from what I read, he has very good range and never hesitates to take open shots.

Velcro, I am not sure where people get that 230lbs weight for Dumars, because he doesn't look it, but he's a full 6-6, and his build doesn't resemble Cann's.  Zaronn was 250lbs, listed, his last year, and I hear was playing closer to 260lbs because he could rarely practice.  Also, Cann was closer to 6-4 by some accounts, and Dumars is much closer to a legit 6-6.  Although he does need to slim down a touch, Dumars.

Dumars goal coming in is to come in with an attitude, and intensity determined to improve himself.  He's had a tendency to lose intensity, and not be completely committed.  Probably because he played on a HS team for three years loaded with high DI prospects, and never had to be the guy, and could always sink into his role.  I expect him to be more like a 6-6 220/215lbs SF/wing, much like Melvin Buckley when he was here.  That's the type of player Dumars is, a rebuild of Buckley, a larger wing/guard who is good on the boards, has an excellent shot and uses his height to get it off...not a great penetrator, or dribbler, not particularly quick, but when left open he can shoot, and just like Melvin he's willing and capable of doing the little things.

I don't see that at all in Noriega thus far.  I am not sure about Burwell.  I am hoping he was a diamond in the rough that we discovered.  I am encouraged by his scoring average, shooting percentage from beyond the arc, and ability to dribble penetrate, albeit the prep school he was at, and comp he faced wasn't particularly intense.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I thought our new signee was Fitzpatrick.  Also, he can play the 3 or 4 spot, right?

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

I thought our new signee was Fitzpatrick.  Also, he can play the 3 or 4 spot, right?

In our offense he is not a 3.

• 5 months later...

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Coach Heath Talks About Strengths, Improvements and Goals 

Courtesy: USF

Release: 10/20/2009

Excerpt from release:

Who has impressed you the most of the newcomers?

Toarlyn Fitzpatrick. I knew with Jarrid's experience what he could do, but Toarlyn has really come on. He is a local product from Tampa and he has been a kid who has a lot of potential. A lot of people have seen it, he has just never really pushed himself. We are seeing him push himself now, and he has the skill level to make shots, post up and run the floor. He's learning a lot.

How good can Jarrid Famous be in the BIG EAST?

We recruited him as an impact player and I have no doubt that he can be that way. I already know he's a strong rebounder, a strong player in terms of blocking shots and clogging up the paint. And he can really run; he doesn't ever get tired. He will change what USF has been able to accomplish on the inside over the past few years, maybe since we've had Kentrell Gransberry.

Who would be your starting five if you played a game tonight? What about the next three off the bench?

Jarrid Famous, Augustus Gilchrist, Mike Mercer, Chris Howard and Dominique Jones.

Toarlyn Fitzpatrick would be a post player to come in. On the perimeter Justin Leemow has experience from last year. One or two of those three shooters - Mike Burwell, Jordan Dumars or Shaun Noriega - has to emerge. I can't give you an answer on those guys yet.

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=204817203

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Thanks Mama...

That sounds pretty close to how I feel about the roster as well...  with the except of Toarlyn... whom I had no clue on. 

On the starting 5, i am a little surprised to have 3 potential point guards on the floor at the same time.... but they are all bigger than most point guards anyway... and all can score.  I hope Mercer is on his best behavior, b/c we could use 12-15 pts per game to complement Jones.  If we get production out of him, and no more off the court issues... that really adds to our guard rotation.

Everyone hated on me for being pro-Chris Howard... but he really has played well now that he is healthy.  He can get even better but he has been our 2nd best player behind Dominique. 

Howard PG

Jones SG

Mercer PG/SG

Gilchrist PF

Famous C

When we go big, rotate in Fitzpatrick and Rivas in some combination with Gilchrist and/or Famous.  And then we have Crater also in the mix come December, which just adds one more dynamic to our guard rotation.

Being that so many people left for the NBA, or graduated, in the big east... this is the year we have to make a move.  We aren't the only lower team that knows this and is in position to do something, but I do feel good about the roster this season... more so than in the past. We have real depth at every position.  And talent too.

Hometown (Prev School)
1   Anderson, Jr., Ron F 6-8 255 RJr. Upper Marlboro, Md. (Kansas State) (McCallie School - Tenn.)
2   Daniels, B.J. G 6-1 212 So. Tallahassee, Fla. (Lincoln HS)
3   Howard, Chris G 6-3 200 Sr. Lorton, Va. (Friendly HS - Md.)
4   Dumars, Jordan G 6-5 225 Fr. Detroit, Mich. (Detroit Country Day School)
5   Leemow, Justin G 6-1 175 So. Brooklyn, N.Y. (Mt. Zion Christian Academy - N.C.)
10   Crater, Anthony G 6-1 170 So. Flint, Mich. (Ohio State) (Brewster Academy - N.H.)
11   Rivas, Alex C 6-10 230 Sr. Santiago, Dominican Republic (Pratt Community College - Kan.) (Laurinburg Prep - N.C.)
13   Kardok, Ryan G 6-3 188 Sr. Parkland, Fla. (Broward Community College - Fla.) (Stoneman Douglas HS)
20   Jones, Dominique G 6-4 205 Jr. Lake Wales, Fla. (Lake Wales HS)
22   Noriega, Shaun G 6-4 195 Fr. North Port, Fla. (North Port HS)
23   Burwell, Mike G 6-6 210 Fr. East Brunswick, N.J. (South Kent School - Conn.) (Cardinal McCarrick HS)
24   Gilchrist, Augustus F/C 6-10 235 So. Clinton, Md. (Maryland) (Progressive Christian Academy - Md.)
31   Famous, Jarrid F/C 6-11 240 Jr. Bronx, N.Y. (Westchester Community College - N.Y.) (Blessed Sacrament HS)
32   Fitzpatrick, Toarlyn F 6-8 230 Fr. Tampa, Fla. (King HS)
33   Mercer, Mike G 6-4 190 Sr. Snellville, Ga. (Georgia) (South Gwinnett HS)
[/html]

• Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Thanks Mama...

That sounds pretty close to how I feel about the roster as well...  with the except of Toarlyn... whom I had no clue on. 

On the starting 5, i am a little surprised to have 3 potential point guards on the floor at the same time.... but they are all bigger than most point guards anyway... and all can score.  I hope Mercer is on his best behavior, b/c we could use 12-15 pts per game to complement Jones.  If we get production out of him, and no more off the court issues... that really adds to our guard rotation.

Everyone hated on me for being pro-Chris Howard... but he really has played well now that he is healthy.  He can get even better but he has been our 2nd best player behind Dominique. 

Howard PG

Jones SG

Mercer PG/SG

Gilchrist PF

Famous C

When we go big, rotate in Fitzpatrick and Rivas in some combination with Gilchrist and/or Famous.  And then we have Crater also in the mix come December, which just adds one more dynamic to our guard rotation.

Being that so many people left for the NBA, or graduated, in the big east... this is the year we have to make a move.  We aren't the only lower team that knows this and is in position to do something, but I do feel good about the roster this season... more so than in the past. We have real depth at every position.  And talent too.

People are going to be shocked at how good Howard will be this season. Our team's success will be reflected by Howard's play. Remember everything starts with the PG. The better you are there the better the team will be.

The two concerns I have are Rivas' health and outside shooting. Right now we don't know how effective Rivas will be once he comes back in December. If he can play pain free and aggressive in conference play then USF will be fine in the frontcourt. Without a healthy Rivas then we are in trouble inside.

Consistent outside shooting has plagued USF for a while now and with our inside game to go along with our penetrating guards we really need Burwell, Noriega, and Dumars to make teams pay for diving down on our Bigs or double teaming Jones and Howard.

If none of those potential problems manifest itself then look for USF to win around 18 games this season. 

I'd be happy with 6-8 in conference wins... if we can manage that, it is a very successful year. Anything more is icing on the cake. 

All 3 of those guys (freshmen) are quality shooters... but how will they respond to getting big minutes this early in their career.  Howard's shooting ability is lightyears better than it was just 2 years ago, and we all know Jones can fill it up from the outside.

I was a little disappointed with Gilchrist going ice cold down the stretch last year. He started out with such promise.  He is a good 3 pt shooter... but if we can find that "Assasin" type shooter that has always burnt us on our opponents rosters over the years... this roster will look really good. 

I think Rivas will give us a solid presence. He is such a battler... he tried so hard despite his injuries... even if he isn't 100% healthy, i still think he'll be a decent contributor.

• Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

Thanks Mama...

Howard PG

Jones SG

Mercer PG/SG

Gilchrist PF

Famous C

People are going to be shocked at how good Howard will be this season. Our team's success will be reflected by Howard's play. Remember everything starts with the PG. The better you are there the better the team will be.

The two concerns I have are Rivas' health and outside shooting. Right now we don't know how effective Rivas will be once he comes back in December. If he can play pain free and aggressive in conference play then USF will be fine in the frontcourt. Without a healthy Rivas then we are in trouble inside.

Consistent outside shooting has plagued USF for a while now and with our inside game to go along with our penetrating guards we really need Burwell, Noriega, and Dumars to make teams pay for diving down on our Bigs or double teaming Jones and Howard.

If none of those potential problems manifest itself then look for USF to win around 18 games this season.  

If we won 18 games that would be awesome. I just want to see improvement. The starting 5 that Heath named is his best starting 5 he has ever had since he has been here. Can't wait.

Archived