• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

"...as many as 18 incoming players will be able to contribute......."

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

1. Ford was hurt last year

2. Taylor was hurt as well, also an ankle

3. Tyson Butler got hurt in the first game after getting some pretty good playing time if I remember, not sure the extent of his injury, but I am sure Greg can fill us in.

Washington and maybe R Kelly should have been playing over the two you guys mention, but were they really THAT much better last year? I don't know that Kelly has a full RB skill set yet, not sure if he can carry 20 times a game, plus make all the blocks he needs to, plus catch a couple of passes. Ben could do all of that. He wasn't great, but he did more than an admirable job for a walk-on that was forced into a lot of playing time by injuries (Plancher, Ford, Taylor) and dismissals (I think Ponton could have been good, oh well).

You could point to Edwards at PR, but when Theo got a chance in the bowl, I think we may have all seen why Edwards kept the job.

CJL gets paid to win, he is a competitor. If a senior and a frosh are even, he will go with the senior/experience. If the younger player is better, thats who we'll see. I don't think CJL is OK with losing as long as his older guys are getting to play, but I guess I could be wrong.  ::)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,632
  • Days Won:  424

Is this a case of the best player may actually see the field?!?!?!?

As opposed to seniority

::)

Why do some think this ?

Because some are conspiracy theorists and just don't have a clue. First off, what they're saying is that Leavitt's not concerned about winning since he's not playing the players that give us the best chance.

Secondly, the whining about BBQ getting more playing time isn't borne out in the stats. For the games they played in, Ford averaged 9 carries, with Williams and Taylor averaging 5.5 carries. So, if Ben WAS getting more playing time, that means he was blocking, and I don't think anyone can argue that he wasn't the best blocking back we had.

So, once again, those being accused of having green and gold glassitis are proven to be the realists ...    ;)

• Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  0

Washington and maybe R Kelly should have been playing over the two you guys mention, but were they really THAT much better last year?

You could point to Edwards at PR, but when Theo got a chance in the bowl, I think we may have all seen why Edwards kept the job.

Perhaps they weren't that much better, but would you prefer to give playing experience to a freshman who has 3 years of eligibility (possibly a bright future) or to a senior who already had his chance and is graduating? And this is when we were no longer in contention for the Big East championship (the last 4 games of the year)... when our games meant almost nothing except possibly a better bowl game. I think it would've been better to prepare for the future...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,632
  • Days Won:  424

Washington and maybe R Kelly should have been playing over the two you guys mention, but were they really THAT much better last year?

Perhaps they weren't that much better, but would you prefer to give playing experience to a freshman who has 3 years of eligibility (possibly a bright future) or to a senior who already had his chance and is graduating? And this is when we were no longer in contention for the Big East championship (the last 4 games of the year)... when our games meant almost nothing except possibly a better bowl game. I think it would've been better to prepare for the future...

You give playing time to whomever gives you the best chance to win the game until it's decided .... Do i need to pull out the Herm Edwards video?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,650
  • Days Won:  29

As Jim noted, Ben over Ford is one of the reasons (though Ford was banged up most of the year, Taylor wasn't).

Anyway, the answer is simply because...it was/is true? I'm not sure why Roberts, Edwards, BBQ, Buie, etc were favored last year.

Yet Ford got more carries ... and Taylor was banged up as was Williams.

Many think that. Not everyone sees things through green and gold glasses.... Tyler Roberts shouldn't have started in the second half of the season. He ran a 4.75 in the 40 yard dash at Pro day. That's embarassing for a BCS team's starting cornerback.  For comparison, Gachette ran a 4.5 40. We should have been developing the freshman, Washington and Butler for the future. Jamar Taylor and Ford should've got more minutes than Ben Williams. You'll just have to wait for the upcoming season to see what we were missing out on by starting Williams instead of Taylor. Ford or Taylor have the potential to rush for a 1,000 yds next season. I'm excited that the coaches will be forced to play them. That is assuming Mo Plancher (senior) doesn't get all the carries....

::) And we have True FR coming in that may be starting over guys you think should have started over Roberts.

LOL ... All 4 RB's were injured last year. Ford got the bulk of the carries.

... I think it would've been better to prepare for the future...

Maybe you should put in your resume  ;D

THose that think Leavitt gives more time to Sr's ... we'll do one at a time.

3 Year Starter at QB, Julmiste. Benched 1 game into his Sr year for a RS Fr(Grothe) ... and this after he lost his job in the Spring to a RS So(C. Hill).

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Had Roberts really had a chance? Jenkins and Trae were both NFL prospects. Roberts should have taken one of their positions now?

To an extent, yes, if you feel like the senior who has been in your system 3-4 years will make better decisions at crunch time, you most certainly go with the experience over giving a freshman some playing time. I am not CJL, but if he thought Roberts would be better.

Also, I could be wrong, but after the 2nd or 3rd loss, didn't Washington start getting a lot more playing time? Maybe Roberts started, but Washington was out there a lot more. Roberts killed us in the Pitt game, would you rather have had a freshman out there getting burned?

Again, I already said that maybe QW should have been playing instead of Roberts, but I am just offering scenarios in which CJL felt that Roberts gave us the best chance.

• Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  0

Many think that. Not everyone sees things through green and gold glasses.... Tyler Roberts shouldn't have started in the second half of the season. He ran a 4.75 in the 40 yard dash at Pro day. That's embarassing for a BCS team's starting cornerback.  For comparison, Gachette ran a 4.5 40. We should have been developing the freshman, Washington and Butler for the future. Jamar Taylor and Ford should've got more minutes than Ben Williams. You'll just have to wait for the upcoming season to see what we were missing out on by starting Williams instead of Taylor. Ford or Taylor have the potential to rush for a 1,000 yds next season. I'm excited that the coaches will be forced to play them. That is assuming Mo Plancher (senior) doesn't get all the carries....

::) And we have True FR coming in that may be starting over guys you think should have started over Roberts.

LOL ... All 4 RB's were injured last year. Ford got the bulk of the carries.

I doubt it will end up that way when the season begins. QW will end up being the starting corner, though. We shall see. And how could Ford get the bulk of the carries if he was injured ???

Archived