• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

"...as many as 18 incoming players will be able to contribute......."

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

I thought Webster was a saftey

in HS yes but at 5-11 he will play CB or Nickel for USF

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,650
  • Days Won:  29

Is this a case of the best player may actually see the field?!?!?!?

As opposed to seniority

::)

Why do some think this ?

First, it's "18 could contribute".  That's a long way from "18 will contribute". 

To be fair, the article says: "The USF staff believes that as many as 18 incoming players will be able to contribute this fall."

That is closer to "will" contribute than "could"...

As opposed to seniority

Why do some think this ?

Well, they think Mike Ford was a better player than Ben Williams... and yet, Ben Williams kept being named starter instead of the "better player"...

• Content Count:  219

As opposed to seniority

Why do some think this ?

As Jim noted, Ben over Ford is one of the reasons (though Ford was banged up most of the year, Taylor wasn't).

Anyway, the answer is simply because...it was/is true? I'm not sure why Roberts, Edwards, BBQ, Buie, etc were favored last year.

• Content Count:  1,037

As opposed to seniority

Why do some think this ?

Many think that. Not everyone sees things through green and gold glasses.... Tyler Roberts shouldn't have started in the second half of the season. He ran a 4.75 in the 40 yard dash at Pro day. That's embarassing for a BCS team's starting cornerback.  For comparison, Gachette ran a 4.5 40. We should have been developing the freshman, Washington and Butler for the future. Jamar Taylor and Ford should've got more minutes than Ben Williams. You'll just have to wait for the upcoming season to see what we were missing out on by starting Williams instead of Taylor. Ford or Taylor have the potential to rush for a 1,000 yds next season. I'm excited that the coaches will be forced to play them. That is assuming Mo Plancher (senior) doesn't get all the carries....

• Content Count:  1,037

To CJL's defense, he did say Ford would've gotten more carries if he had been healthy, but Taylor should've played more.

• Content Count:  431

First, it's "18 could contribute".  That's a long way from "18 will contribute". 

To be fair, the article says: "The USF staff believes that as many as 18 incoming players will be able to contribute this fall."

That is closer to "will" contribute than "could"...

I'm not sure where the confusion was. I quoted the article exactly as saying "The USF staff believes that as many as 18 incoming players will be able to contribute this fall." I suppose he could have assumed my unwritten interpretation of that statement was that 18 incoming players will play.... Although, I was pretty clear in underlining and making bold the part of the quote that siad as many as 18.....No big deal though.

• Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

Guys, guys. Here's Leavitt's direct quote: "it's as many as 18 guys, newcomers that really have a shot" ... he's just running through guys who have a chance to play right away. there won't be 18 newcomers who play. six are junior college guys, and you're probably looking at 4-6 of the true freshmen playing ...

• Content Count:  431

It seems as if I was making an assumption when I underlined and made bold the text in the quote from the article that stated "as many as," presuming that all would understand the meaning of this. The term "as many as" means up to, but not more than, the specified amount (i.e. if the statement was "as many as 18," it should be interpreted as any whole, positive number - we are dealing with people - between 0 and 18). This term is often used when an exact number is not known, but a range (possible values, usually thought of in a sequence) is available.

The point of bringing up the article with that combination of quotes was not to focus on the highest possible number of 18. The point was to discuss the larger "range" (0-18 as opposed to say 0-6 or 0-9 ranges from previous years that also included JC players) of incoming players that CJL believes might/could/may get playing time, and CJL's apparent increased optimism (CJL: "There will be an influx of players this summer like this program has never seen.") over the recent class in comparison to years past.

Perhaps it is ironic that Smazza interpreted the quotes as intended and gave as close to a positive statement as he could muster while others seemed to get hung up by semantics. Though, one would expect semantics to be up his alley.

Archived