• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ANGRY!!! I don't know who we need to FIRE/CUT...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I always look forward to this particular hysterical, emotional, incoherent rant/post and poster.

We're a long way away still. 

i love the posters that accept losing so easily

I love the posters who love to hurl bricks but have no clue how to build something themselves. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  56
  • Days Won:  0

It all started 30 years go when the powers that be decided basketball would have to earn it's stripes. In 1990 and 92 (NCAA Births) we leveled the university political playing field. Having coaches here for short runs hurts. Boosters come and go based on that fact alone.

Football has taken the so-so fan off the fence. That success brought out many who cared about USF athletics but were not convinced success could happen in hoops. It was an easy (or easier) sell when football arrived. Most talented kids would travel here to school and play but the gut feeling for some (recruits) is the culture is not what you would expect. It's easy to see the divide between university and athletics.

This was the problem years a ago. Players and parents can sense the distance I speak of. I think USF has done well trying to change that over the years, though. Stan Heath, like Seth Greenberg, are coaches who came from different environments. The shock of the lack of support really bothered Seth, and Heath is suddenly finding out the up hill battle he faces. It is much better now and I really believe things are going to get better.

We are starting to do the things that programs need to do to reach higher ground. WE are USF and our history is unique and different than most schools. Those who take the time to recap our rapid growth (conference moves) can hopefully see a light that shines somewhere down the road. Tradition and understanding of the process is needed by all on deck. Faculty and staff and everyone included. Next season should be our coming out year in basketball. A year we should beat teams because we are better than them. It's taken awhile but the engine is starting to rev up.

Honestly, this season, if you looked close (before the suspensions and injuries), USF was on the path we so all dreamed of. In a sudden case of unfortunate events the season changed. I say give it "A" plus for effort. The talent level coming in to go with a return core group may be the ticket we hope for. And one paint-filling Big Man would speed up the process tremendously. I know they're working on it.

tg

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Thanks raging.

I think the team this year made strides.  Is it where the fans want it to be?  No.  Is it where Doug Woolard ( a basketball guy) and Stan Heath want it to be?  Absolutely not.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

HULK ANGRY, HULK SMASH!  ;D I couldn't help myself, I had to throw in an incredible hulk reference since it seemed so appropriate for this thread.

A Mongo reference would have been more appropriate for this thread ...

9095-1934.gif

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Thanks raging.

I think the team this year made strides.  Is it where the fans want it to be?  No.  Is it where Doug Woolard ( a basketball guy) and Stan Heath want it to be?  Absolutely not.

Anybody with a lick of knowledge about college hoops understands the situation here and that, as mentioned, time is needed..... along with money. If some want to get angry about it, fine, it shows they still care, but calling for heads to roll ... at this point .... is not the answer.

• Content Count:  2,726

Thanks raging.

Anybody with a lick of knowledge about college hoops understands the situation here and that, as mentioned, time is needed..... along with money. If some want to get angry about it, fine, it shows they still care, but calling for heads to roll ... at this point .... is not the answer.

OK ok...i'll calm down now.  Just had to get that out...i don't know if you noticed, but I posted that RIGHT after the game. lol

I understand its going to take some time...but, honestly i'm still not seeing the results.  They still seem to "Give-up" in the end and they don't have any level of passion or pride when taking the court.  Shear mental state can completely change your performance on the court.  I know these guys don't go out there WANTING to lose or not WANTING to win, that is, however they certainly dont look like they THINK/KNOW they can win.  And thats what we'll need to be able to hang with this conference in the future...along with smarter play, which comes with better players I guess.  But sheesh...its just so frustrating...i know ALL of you can agree with me on that.

I'm sorry for my rantings guys...i just lost it!  I understand if some of you want to block me.  lol  I don't post too often anymore since im traveling alot this year and don't get to my comp much. 

Thanks fr dealing with me...

wheeeew...anywho!  GO BULLS!!!

• Content Count:  21

Thanks raging.

good post.

on top of that, if you really love college hoops, you should come out to the games and soak in as much Big East action as possible. i remember a few years ago against Uconn when i was 5 rows back from the court and got to see Rudy Gay, Marcus Williams, Josh Boone and Hilton Armstrong...all NBA players today. even if we lose, the caliber of players you get to watch (free for students, minimal for non-students) is second to none. yeah, winning is awesome and a rarity these days (lol), but it could be worse...we could still be in CUSA. 

it really makes you think that maybe some day we will be producing these types of players. like someone earlier mentioned, we're only a big man away from winning a few more games next year. imagine if KG was still around. we probably could have done some damage this year with him and gilchrist in the frontcourt.

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

I can't ever get "a little upset" or "angry" with the basketball team because I don't let myself get worked up about them. It's not productive at all when you consider the particular issues that this program has to fight through - lack of money, lack of history, in a bad HS basketball state, extremely tough competition, etc.

I am amused by people like 8va and all the others who apply the football standard (which is pretty unrealistic in its own right) to the basketball program. It's insane, really.

• Content Count:  6,851
  • Days Won:  22

A few things

#1 This team has major problems with scoring. and when you avg 60 pts a game and struggle to get there its hard to keep "fighting" when game after game you are getting bashed by better talent. There comes atime when the team cant help but think, "here we go again" when the opponents start to pull away and you know you dont have the guns to match them.

#2 Its going to take time to build this program,and hopefully Heath will stick around. I think he has better shooting talent comming in and hopefully a couple of big guys will help inside. Still you are talking at best a .500 team next year if all clicks.

#3 We as fans need to do a better job at supporting this program. When you are the WORST drawing team in the league, you get more opponents fans at some home games and DePaul at 0-18 outdraws USF 2-1 you have major problems.

Heath has a tough job of not only building a program but changing the whole culture of our school when it comes to supporting basketball. I remember the early 80s when playing USF at the Sun Dome was no easy task and 6-7k crowds were not unusual with plenty of student support. Somehow that has been lost and must be rekindled.

Archived