• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Joe Tresey is new DC

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  849
  • Days Won:  0

I've been calling this for atleast a week, I'm almost positive that he was the guy Leavitt wanted all along but he used all those other interviews as leverage in contract negotiations....

If you believe the media those interviews turned into offers which were turned down so I don't think CJL was trying to bluff Tresey. For whatever reason, Leavitt had moved on beyond Tresey but came back to him after being spurned by the others.... if the reports are correct.

I don't think any of the reports were correct, I think Greg and Brett were reaching a bit...I don't think they had any solid leads....no offense Greg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,657
  • Days Won:  29

This is the best and correct hire IMO.  I don't care about how long it took us to make the hire just that we got the best guy for the job in the end. 

Excactly how I feel.

Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  667

Don't act like this process was by design.  We are lucky that CJL's ineptitude with hiring procedures didn't cost us.  This is a big victory for USF, and a big lesson to learn for Jim.

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

The way I see this hire.

Best Case:

CJL realizes the "co-coordinator" isn't attractive to outsiders and learns he can't pry quality coaches away from their jobs to participate in such a model.  Knowing he was stuck with hiring a single DC, CJL returned to Tresey. . . . . . who was the best candidate for such a job.

Worst Case:

A defeated, demoralized CJL wipes the egg off his face and settles for the guy who was not his 1st, 2nd or even 3rd choice.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I agree that this was the guy all along.

I think that USF was probably pushing CJL to interview several candidates before making a hire, so he went out and did that. He also came up with the whole co-DC idea to make the job way less appealing so that he could really make an effort to "hire" these other guys, but knowing full well that they wouldn't accept, he could get the guy he wanted all along.

Doesn't CJL have a psych degree? I don't think he is as stupid as some on here make him out to be.

In the process, he helps some other people out, gets the guy he wants, and only takes 2 weeks to do it. I really don't think 2 weeks is very long at all for a situation like this. Just about any hire would take that long, so it was really a non-issue for me. The media was just covering every second of it.

...of course, if the media didn't cover it, people would be on here screaming about how we don't get any respect, and no one is covering a huge coaching search, if UF were in this situation, everyone would be covering it...yada, yada, yada

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,492
  • Days Won:  13

Wow People on this board follow CJL so blindly that they are really convinced that this was his plan the whole time.  ::)

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

I think that USF was probably pushing CJL to interview several candidates before making a hire, so he went out and did that. He also came up with the whole co-DC idea to make the job way less appealing so that he could really make an effort to "hire" these other guys, but knowing full well that they wouldn't accept, he could get the guy he wanted all along.

Disagree with any on here who contend CJL was conducting interviews or making offers he didn't really mean. . . . that notion is simply ludicrous.

In my memory, this is the first MAJOR OUTSIDE HIRE CJL has made.  His inexperience showed. . . . . . but he is human and I am going to give him every benefit of the doubt.

When you factor in USF football's unprecedented rapid ascent into a nationally recognized football program, CJL's first external hire seemed especially clumsy because he (along with all of us) had a valuation problem determining what a job at USF really meant to others outside the program (IMO, Ekerler and Ash would jump at the chance to be Co-DC's at Texas. . . . but not USF).

In the end we realized that coaches in the BE think this place is a good place to work while jackass coaches in Big12 country still see us as a step down.

In the end, CJL, who had grown content over the years, had to learn on the fly and conduct a national search for a DC when he (along with others) didn't understand USF's (and CJL's) national perception. . . . . . lesson learned.

Welcome Joe Tresey.

• Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

wonder if $$$$ was an issue?

I think it was more of an issue with the Co-Coordinator situation

That's my guess also.

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

This is the best and correct hire IMO.  I don't care about how long it took us to make the hire just that we got the best guy for the job in the end. 

Excactly how I feel.

Go BULLS !!!

i'm extatic that we got Tresey and believe he was the best, obvious candidate from jump.

but to "not care" about how we got there is irresponsible...

Leavitt may have ultimately stumbled on Tresey, but his ridiculous little "co-DC" charade could have easily cost the program and left us with far inferior talent in one of the most critical assistant positions in college football.

i'd have much more confidence in the leader of this football program if he could occasionally at least APPEAR to know what he's doing, rather than a guy who fumbles around cluelessly [in public no less] but eventually gets lucky.

• Content Count:  412

Good hire.

I think CJL honestly thought the Co-DC thing was a good idea... I once heard from a former player he toyed with the idea of having the guys wear earmuffs during practice to get them in the mindset of playing cold-weather games... The guy's just a little nutty.

Archived