• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Heath should go

Guest AstroBull

I wouldn't mind a change in asst coaches if it meant better recruiting and player development.  If Gottfried wanted to come to Tampa, I wouldn't think twice about it.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Heath should go and get some more recruits like Gilchrist.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,634
  • Days Won:  424

Heath was left with virtually nothing to work with.  The only decent player on the team before him was Solomon Jones and he high tailed it.

You don't really follow USF hoops, do you?   ;)

It's going to be a long gruesome road to make progress in the Big East.  Heath is pushing in recruiting.  It's not there, but I have a feeling he's making it better than worse.

USF will never be there if we fire a coach every 4-6 years because we suck in the Big East, because we'll never have a coach longer than 4-6 years for the rest of our Big East tenure.

Fire Stan Heath? foolish...

Exactly .... I think the OP has come back and said this thread was indeed started tongue-in-cheek, which makes sense. Anyone callling for Stan's head at this point is totally clueless ...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,634
  • Days Won:  424

Velco, South_Florida_Flip, AstroBull, and all other great posters let me run this by you and see what you'll think about it.

The OP did have one very important thing right. Coach Heath needs to get a better staff. Behind every great coach you will normally find that he has really good assistant coaches. Heath has Hipsher, Hansen, and Samuels on the bench. To my knowledge Hipsher doesn't really recruit but coaches the offense and helps with player development. I don't have a real problem with what he does.

On the other hand Samuels and Hansen main job is to be Bulldog recruiters. Research and talking to someone in the know, the only player Samuels has contributed to USF is Alex Rivas Sanchez. Hansen seems to be more famous for losing players then getting them. He was the lead recruiter for Pitts, Simmons, Stewart, and Clanton to name a few.

We know that USF has to upgrade the facilities and the fan base has to increase, but what about upgrading assistant coaches?

Both Mark Gottfried(Bama) and Denis Felton(Georgia) have lost thier jobs this week. I say Heath fires two assistants and promote Woody and hire either Felton or Gottfried. Woody has a lot of connections and I want him able to go on the road and recruit. If we hire Gottfried we get Eric Bledsoe and be in play for any major talent in the state of Alabama. In Felton we get a coach that knows the state of Georgia well and he can help us pluke some of the great talent out of that state.

Also both Felton and Gottfried teams play tough defense and really rebound. They can bring that to our team which is are areas we struggle with sometimes.

Now if not them maybe we can hire some young hungry assistant with ties to USF and to the state of Florida. Whoever it may be, we have to get some bench coaches that can contribute to this program.

Come on, now. You saw how tough it was to get a quality coach to come here as a HEAD coach. Do you honestly think either one of them would even talk to USF about being an assistant here?? ..... even if CSH had the cojones to call them?

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Come on, now. You saw how tough it was to get a quality coach to come here as a HEAD coach. Do you honestly think either one of them would even talk to USF about being an assistant here?? ..... even if CSH had the cojones to call them?

That's why I wanted to get someone else's observation.

I don't know about Gottfried but Felton and Heath are friends to my knowledge.

My gut tells me that Heath will be making a change on his coaching staff this offseason. Might not be a former HC, but we have to get someone here that's a "Go-Getter."  Recruiting is the only answer and we have to get better at it.

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

I dont know if some of you realize this, but Athletics is not like going to Mcdonalds.

You cant go up to a drive thru window and order a championship and get it in 5 minutes.

Can I quote you on this? It seems like it has to be said on this board about once a week.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

I want it now!!!!

Cry-Baby.gif

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

If an assistant isn't doing a good job recruiting and that is their primary job, they should be replaced.  I was a bit skeptical of how the Gilchrist situation presented itself with Woody getting his position.... but if that is how it works these days to lure in good talent (like Bledsoe), I am not opposed to it.  If Memphis didn't get in trouble for hiring DeJuan Wagner's dad to get Wagner, then to me, it seems like fair game.  Now I don't think we'll get Gottfried as an assistant under any stretch of the imagination.  He won't take that step down.  He'll get a job as a head coach again.  But I do think we can use one of the assistant positions (if they aren't carrying their weight now) to benefit us more.

In an ideal world, none of this would happen... but it seems to be happening all over, and it may be one of the main reason's we landed Gilchrist.

• Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

I dont know if some of you realize this, but Athletics is not like going to Mcdonalds.

You cant go up to a drive thru window and order a championship and get it in 5 minutes.

Can I quote you on this? It seems like it has to be said on this board about once a week.

Anyday put the KMF next to it

• Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

If an assistant isn't doing a good job recruiting and that is their primary job, they should be replaced.  I was a bit skeptical of how the Gilchrist situation presented itself with Woody getting his position.... but if that is how it works these days to lure in good talent (like Bledsoe), I am not opposed to it.  If Memphis didn't get in trouble for hiring DeJuan Wagner's dad to get Wagner, then to me, it seems like fair game.  Now I don't think we'll get Gottfried as an assistant under any stretch of the imagination.  He won't take that step down.  He'll get a job as a head coach again.  But I do think we can use one of the assistant positions (if they aren't carrying their weight now) to benefit us more.

In an ideal world, none of this would happen... but it seems to be happening all over, and it may be one of the main reason's we landed Gilchrist.

Exactly it does go on everywhere and that's why no one really outside of Tampa  gave the Gilchrist situation much thought. Every basketball expert thinks Heath did the right thing. They also know how hard it is for USF to get real talent to sign with them. They say Heath has to be creative in recruiting and explore every avenue that leads to getting real talent into this program.

Archived