• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

the "why do you think GG got the axe" thread

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  211
  • Days Won:  0

so in the GG is fired thread, there is a lot of exultation, and some theories thrown around...  but my curiosity will not relent.  I'm dying to know why leavitt axed him in the middle of the recruiting weekend and in the middle of the recruitment season.  everyone pretty much agrees that it does not seem like the best thing to do... unless there is a reason.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  58

My four non specific reasons/opinions

4. Some kind of personal disagreement between the two over recruits or direction of program

3. CJL woke up that morning and realized changes were necessary

2. Heat is coming down from AD and/or boosters

1. A candidate CJL wants is available or is becoming available and CJL needed to open the position and go through the interview formalities to bring this person aboard quickly.

• Content Count:  2,019
  • Days Won:  2

Could be... there were all of those threads about "Donors get your friends and call you rep today"  Maybe Leavitt is getting over his "no Change" thing

1. A candidate CJL wants is available or is becoming available and CJL needed to open the position and go through the interview formalities to bring this person aboard quickly.

Hopefully, that would also mean that it is someone from outside the program

• Content Count:  211

I feel like a kid at Christmas.  I wanna know now!!!!!!  lol 

Do we have any clues we can work off of?  Are there any deductions we can make from the facts that we have?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,659
  • Days Won:  29

We don't have the boosters yet to make a ripple, let alone a wave to influence a coaching decision.

It's probably #1 combined with job performance.

• Content Count:  5,241

1. He did a terrible job

2. Good candidate is up for the job.

3. That comment on Grothe's season after the bowl game

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

CJL probably knew that he had to do something, fans wouldn't tolerate another season of collapse, this past one being larger than the one before.

He plans to stay here.

He finally reached conclusion that something had to be done.

Recruiting wise, most of the commits will be fine and I doubt Gregory was a key reason they were coming here.  Imagine the conversation with them.  "come play for me, we have collapsed two years in a row, and our Offense is predictable under my guidance". 

I think smart recruits are being contacted by coaching staff, including CJL, and he is discussing the why's of it with them. 

I am glad he (and Woolard) were willing to take some action and make a change.  Good for them.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I'm not sure how these recruiting weekends go, but, it may have been perfect timing.

GA mentioned that we had a lot of Gregory's recruits in this weekend (his area). Any sooner, and you may lose those visits. So, you do it while they are on campus, let them meet everyone on Saturday, get comfortable with people other than GG, and when Sunday rolls around, they are there to talk to about the decision. Gives CJL and other coaches a chance to make sure that they don't change their mind over the move. Much better than a phone call later or an angry player after signing day. Just a thought.

I also believe that CJL has a candidate in mind based on his "clearer in a few days" comments to GA.

• Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

I think CJL's version of "loyalty" might have been chalked up to the old addage "If it aint' broke, don't fix it" routine...  Sure, wev'e had our up's and down's but even the darksiders gotta admit, we've come a long way in a short amount of time.  But, I think he now feels the glass ceiling, and really believe he wants with all of his heart to take that next step into taking our program farther...   

Archived