• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

the "why do you think GG got the axe" thread

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I suspect it's been on the way for a while, but throwing Grothe under the bus was the final nail.  I can only think of a couple of reasons for him to do that. 

One, he knew he was gone and was setting up an exit strategy so he can get another job somewhere else.

Or he wanted to knock Grothe down a notch or two, and establish who was the coach and who was the player.  If it's this one, he had to know that could push him out the door, but he did not want to go through another season of perceived insubordination.

Now, whether Gregory is that demanding, or whether Grothe is causing problems I can't say.  But I think it's pretty obvious that the two don't get along.  I suspect that was a devisive issue that contributed to the mid-season free fall.  Play calling or coaching ability were secondary issues to the fact that everyone wasn't rowing in the same direction.  In that case, you either need to give Gregory free reign to bench Grothe, or you need to let Gregory move on. 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leavitt realized that with Canales interviewing for Utah State he didn't want him to leave. So he fired GG so he could promote Canales and keep him here.

If you read the recruiting stories on other sites, you can see the story going through the team and recruits is that Canales will be the next OC.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

Jim,

But if that's the case? Why didn't it happen sooner?

Still think it's somebody outside.

Go BULLS !!!

Perhaps the timing was forced for some other reason... maybe CJL wanted to wait, but needed to act to keep Canales here.  There are still quite a few assistant coaching positions available... and there are still openings in the NFL.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

so in the GG is fired thread, there is a lot of exultation, and some theories thrown around...  but my curiosity will not relent.  I'm dying to know why leavitt axed him in the middle of the recruiting weekend and in the middle of the recruitment season.  everyone pretty much agrees that it does not seem like the best thing to do... unless there is a reason.

even leavitt realized team underachieved and if he doesnt turn it around he will be fired

• Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

Leavitt realized that with Canales interviewing for Utah State he didn't want him to leave. So he fired GG so he could promote Canales and keep him here.

If you read the recruiting stories on other sites, you can see the story going through the team and recruits is that Canales will be the next OC.

gay.

Perhaps the timing was forced for some other reason... maybe CJL wanted to wait, but needed to act to keep Canales here.  There are still quite a few assistant coaching positions available... and there are still openings in the NFL.

WHY

IS CANALES SECOND COMING OF SID GILMAN????

HE LEFT ONCE

LET HIM LEAVE AGAIN

USF NEEDS AN ENTIRE FUSION OF NEW OFFENSIVE COACHES

I think CJL's version of "loyalty" might have been chalked up to the old addage "If it aint' broke, don't fix it" routine...  Sure, wev'e had our up's and down's but even the darksiders gotta admit, we've come a long way in a short amount of time.  But, I think he now feels the glass ceiling, and really believe he wants with all of his heart to take that next step into taking our program farther...   

HUH

2-5

and usf has never won a thing

i dont think we have come far at all

sure we are in the bottom half of a bcs conference!  that is like the pretty girl kissing you good night and slamming door in your face.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

At the recruit dinner this past Saturday night, Leavitt told everyone NOT to order dessert.

Gregory was hungry and wanted to try the creme brulee.

He ordered it...and shortly thereafter, he was fired.

PS. Had to be weird explaining to the recruits on Sunday morning before they left that the OC you had dinner with last night was no longer in the program.

gay.

straight.

Archived