• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Alumni #'s according to Business Journal

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

A grand is a huge chunk o'change for me as well...  But paying a grand to anyone and not getting involved in what they do? You might as well flush your money down the crapper. I can't tell you that just by joining, everything is gonna be roses, It's not.  Sometimes it's work. Sometimes it's frustrating. But I take it as a challenge, I'm there, building the spirit tent for homecoming. I'm there, Cramming The HOT, CJL and 400 insane BULLS fans into Capogna's for the Preseason tailgate. I'm there scrubbing dishes at the Ronald McDonald House and taking out the trash with a smile. WHY?  Cause I love it. I love being with my Chapter, planning out our next social. I love coming up with new (and stupid) ideas to help USF get recognized nationally. I love being in parades, going on trips, meeting Alums from around the world, working with students, having fun...  You think I'm in it for the football or some measly discount? Those are just small perks my friend.

Most of all, I feel like I'm part of something that's bigger than myself, and I don't care what price it costs.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,139

Cool, it is part of my bond with smazza and Mutt!

POLAR OPPISITES MY FRIEND !!!!

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I still fail to see the benefit of joining the Alumni Association.  Perhaps when my wife finishes school we'll get lifetime memberships, but what is really makes it worth joining?

I've said it a thousand times...   The Alumni Association is only as good as YOU make it. Alums that I deal with have a connection, a bond with other like-minded professionals who want to do something for themselves and their neighbors, Who have a pride making and accepting tradition. These people, rather than ******** about everything (like spazza), they actually do something.  These people, have goals as a group, give back to the community, give their time, commitment and service to charities, and set up and organize the functions that everyone else sponges off of.  Everyone has the same old mentality of "what's in it for me?" Ya know what? when you start asking with pride of where you come from "What can I do for you?"  -come and see me.     -Mutt

So, why should my wife and I pay $1000 for this?  I have pride in my school and do my best to spread the word already.  I have even been to some Orlando Alumni events.  So, I don't see what benefits actually come from me giving up a lot of money.  Student loan payments seem to make more sense.

I get what your saying, but when you have to pay to join it's different.  I already paid the school with tuition.  I just don't understand having to pay to join the alumni association, and if I have to pay to join, then there needs to be value in joining that I can't get without joining.  That's just my opinion.

Soooo....you should reap any and all benefits available to members of this organization without having to pay. You're "square" with the school as you've paid you tuition...in your mind, that's it,

we're done...I paid for class, you gave me a diploma...end of story? That's fair. You shouldn't join the Alumni Association, but don't ever bemoan not extending benefits outside card carrying members.

You're just as confused with my statement as I am confused with the Alumni Association.  I'm not ******** that I should get their "benefits" without paying for them.  I'm confused about what the benefit of joining the Alumni Association is.  All I meant was if it costs $1000 for a pair of lifetime memberships, I'd think there would be amazing benefits to joining.  A 15%  discount to the book store doesn't really seem that great to me.  I'm an Alumni regardless of my Alumni Association status.

All in all, what's the point of joining?  Too hang out with other alumni?  I see alumni friends all the time.  Too help in career networking?  I really enjoy my current job.  I just don't get the point of it.

My original post was trying to get some people to shed some light on the subject.

• Content Count:  478
  • Days Won:  0

I still fail to see the benefit of joining the Alumni Association.  Perhaps when my wife finishes school we'll get lifetime memberships, but what is really makes it worth joining?

I've said it a thousand times...   The Alumni Association is only as good as YOU make it. Alums that I deal with have a connection, a bond with other like-minded professionals who want to do something for themselves and their neighbors, Who have a pride making and accepting tradition. These people, rather than ******** about everything (like spazza), they actually do something.  These people, have goals as a group, give back to the community, give their time, commitment and service to charities, and set up and organize the functions that everyone else sponges off of.  Everyone has the same old mentality of "what's in it for me?" Ya know what? when you start asking with pride of where you come from "What can I do for you?"  -come and see me.     -Mutt

So, why should my wife and I pay $1000 for this?  I have pride in my school and do my best to spread the word already.  I have even been to some Orlando Alumni events.  So, I don't see what benefits actually come from me giving up a lot of money.  Student loan payments seem to make more sense.

I get what your saying, but when you have to pay to join it's different.  I already paid the school with tuition.  I just don't understand having to pay to join the alumni association, and if I have to pay to join, then there needs to be value in joining that I can't get without joining.  That's just my opinion.

Soooo....you should reap any and all benefits available to members of this organization without having to pay. You're "square" with the school as you've paid you tuition...in your mind, that's it,

we're done...I paid for class, you gave me a diploma...end of story? That's fair. You shouldn't join the Alumni Association, but don't ever bemoan not extending benefits outside card carrying members.

You're just as confused with my statement as I am confused with the Alumni Association.  I'm not ******** that I should get their "benefits" without paying for them.  I'm confused about what the benefit of joining the Alumni Association is.  All I meant was if it costs $1000 for a pair of lifetime memberships, I'd think there would be amazing benefits to joining.  A 15%  discount to the book store doesn't really seem that great to me.  I'm an Alumni regardless of my Alumni Association status.

All in all, what's the point of joining?  Too hang out with other alumni?  I see alumni friends all the time.  Too help in career networking?  I really enjoy my current job.  I just don't get the point of it.

My original post was trying to get some people to shed some light on the subject.

i think you bring up a really valid point - a lot of alums don't join because they feel this way. i think its the job of the AA to answer this question and create opportunities where alums can get stuff out of joining that they can't by just going to stuff on their own.

i happen to be a member and feel the same way as Mutt does - but from a PR POV I can totally see where Bull Martin is coming from and if the AA knows what's good for them - they should pay CLOSE attention to comments like this - he represents the majority - and rather than dismiss his comments we might be better off taking them seriously.

Obviously there is a communication gap going on. People don't understand what they get out of joining. Its not their fault. in a lot of ways they are right!

That said - please feel free to PM me and I will sing the AA's praises but my point is that there is a legitimate point that Bull Martin is making that the AA needs to address. What do AA members that live locally get out of joining that they can't get on their own. besides the fact that they are helping the university - what do they get out of it/ What opportunities are available that they otherwise wouldn't have? The AA needs to anticipate these critiques, target the demographics that feel this way AND spread the word. PR 101.

• Content Count:  1,524

Bull Martin, its not just about what you get out of it in terms of discounts and all that, its about being part of YOUR university once you have graduated. Sure, you have paid your tuition, recieved your diploma, all that. But its about giving back. Im sure USF gave you more in life then just a diploma. Ask any UF alumni that is part of their association why they give back. Its support for their university.

• Content Count:  260

I understand both sides of the story here.  Last year around Feb or March I signed up for the lifetime AA membership and did the monthly payments so I wouldn't have to pay the lump sum up front.  Living out of state, one thing I really like about the AA is that every month (or quarter) they send out a magazine that talks about current events at USF, some history, and usually a couple articles about successful alumni and what they're doing today.  I feel like this helps me stay connected with the school. 

Piggybacking on Costa's comment, sure the magazine and the various discounts won't add up to $700 for a while, if ever, but I felt like joining the AA was the right thing to help stay connected with the school that had a lot of influence on my life and helped get me to where I am today. 

Here is my take - when you ask what's in it for you: nothing.  You don't really get anything more being a member than not.

If you're looking at this as a transaction, that is.  If you expect to give cash and gets something else, like you would at Wal Mart, then you are right. You get nothing.

However, your funds do some great things.  Our Association is only as strong as it's members.  The efforts we do help support current students through several scholarship and leadership programs, connect alumni together and to the university through events, and strengthening USF and the value of our degrees.

Read more about what we actually do... http://usfalumni.net/s/861/internal.aspx?sid=861&gid=1&pgid=287

You may have friends who are alumni, as do I... but I have friends now that I met because of the Alumni Association.

You may have a great job you love, but that could change (especially in this economy) so it helps to have a network already in place to provide opportunities. (I have found the last three jobs I have had because I joined the Tampa Jaycees! Membership has some privileges).

There are some other items... news magazines & emails, keep you informed what's going on at USF -- things you don't see on The Bulls Pen, discounts on a number of things from rental cars to clothing stores to the USF Bookstore, inexpensive insurance (life, auto, dental, etc), and more...

Oh, Bulls Heaven and Bulls Outfitter also provide discounts to members of the Association when you show your card.

So, we want to join us.  Help make the Association better. Make us stronger.  Give back.  If we could get 25% of our alumni (50,000+) to become members, then the tangible benefits would get even better.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,703
  • Days Won:  108

I'm assuming many that balk at the $1,000 are recent grads in your mid 20's.  If, hopefully, you live for another 50 years that breaks down to $20 a year.  If the $1,000 is too big a nut at one time now, I believe you can join annually.  My wife and I didn't graduate from USF but we joined as lifetime members.  Part of it was for the priority points.  But we wanted to be a part of our daughter's school.

We were getting season tix through a friend that works at the school.  But we felt to help USF athletics that we would become donors.  This is just me but, I don't want to be on here b!tchin about coaches or AD's without being a donor.  Just trying to do our part. 

And we got a free magicJack T-shirt as lifetime members  ;D

• Content Count:  2,719

I'm assuming many that balk at the $1,000 are recent grads in your mid 20's.  If, hopefully, you live for another 50 years that breaks down to $20 a year.  If the $1,000 is too big a nut at one time now, I believe you can join annually.  My wife and I didn't graduate from USF but we joined as lifetime members.  Part of it was for the priority points.  But we wanted to be a part of our daughter's school.

We were getting season tix through a friend that works at the school.  But we felt to help USF athletics that we would become donors.  This is just me but, I don't want to be on here b!tchin about coaches or AD's without being a donor.  Just trying to do our part. 

And we got a free magicJack T-shirt as lifetime members  ;D

This is the reason you join.  To be a part of something.  Bull Martin, I see your point. And Belle, I understand you think the AA should listen to this type of member.  However, the AA has been trying for years to get people to join, to get different benefits, to market to different demographics.  Until the last year, membership has been stagnant.  If I remember correctly, we saw our biggest increase in membership last year.  Why?  Who knows?  Better marketing?  Maybe.  Kathy Bunch and her group do a great job at the AA office. 

I think it's because there are more graduating students just joining instead of asking "What do I get for my $40"?  The lifetime membership is the cheapest it's ever been.  $58/mo. for 12 mos and your done for life.  Then you are invited to special life memberships events when they have them in your area, plus you help the alumni endowment fund.  The $40/yr goes into the operating budget, but the life membership money goes into the endowment and can't be used right away. 

The biggest reason for joining the AA, in my opinion, is giving back to your school.  I know you say you go to some events, Bull Martin, but you might be missing out on some if you are not on the AA mailing/e-mail list.  And, the membership dollars help fund some of those events so you don't have to  pay for them (or at least the full amount).  And they also help fund scholarships.  You are helping high school students attend USF who might not be able to otherwise. 

These are some of the reasons for you to join, plus the discounts. 

• Content Count:  308

I went to Plant and had the option of going to watch them win the state championship in Orlando today.   I went to St. Pete.  I was not too excited about it and felt that I was almost going out of duty.  I had second thoughts about  not going to Orlando. 

As it turns out, we had a great time.  Tailgated, thought the inside layout was pretty cool, and we crushed them.  It was a good experience for me and I am glad we went.

I'm also glad that Plant High is once again STATE CHAMPIONS!!!!

hatap0.jpg

Archived