• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

OCS Opprotunity???

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I also don't understand how the school is struggling to upgrade other sports facilities is all of a sudden going to come up with the necessary $$$ to buy that land even if the mall goes under.  We don't have that kind of $$$ laying around to buy land for athletics  just to hold onto it.  At this current stage the buying of the mall property is a pipe dream IMO.  It's a nice thought and a great location but i just don't think it's grounded in reality. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,894
  • Days Won:  0

I don't know, I wouldnt want the stadium on the opposite side of all the other athletic facilities. Honestly they need to turn the soccer stadium now into the football stadium and move the soccer stadium out to fower. Get rid of the grassy area basketball courts, tennis courts, jogging track behind it, and make a horseshoe stadium, it will be a close walk for everyone on campus, and the entire campus would serve as a parking lot with the shuttle busses running from every lot as usual. A new parking lot will need to be developed somewhere but that seems to me to be the best location.

First, the cost for the property would be 9 figures.  Yes 100 Million or more.  The sales price in 2007 was $144 Million.

Second, Sears, Macy's, Dillards, and Burlington Coat Factory all OWN their property (not rent), so they can't really afford to just close. JC Penny rented, which is why it could close and move to Wiregrass (allowing Steve & Barry's to move in).  Those add another $30 to $40 Million to the cost of the property.

Who on earth thinks USF will pay $200 million before any construction.

The mall will still be that expensive even if it goes under... because that land would be easier to turn into apartment or condo complex - with some additional commercial property.

First, the cost for the property would be 9 figures.  Yes 100 Million or more.  The sales price in 2007 was $144 Million.

Second, Sears, Macy's, Dillards, and Burlington Coat Factory all OWN their property (not rent), so they can't really afford to just close. JC Penny rented, which is why it could close and move to Wiregrass (allowing Steve & Barry's to move in).  Those add another $30 to $40 Million to the cost of the property.

Who on earth thinks USF will pay $200 million before any construction.

The mall will still be that expensive even if it goes under... because that land would be easier to turn into apartment or condo complex - with some additional commercial property.

Pretty sure this is all covered in the OCS sticky. All OCS threads should be locked after a link to that thread is posted unless its something that hasn't been covered. 

• Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

The OCS would be built on campus. The mall property is too far away and too expensive.

I still like my idea, and considering the success of soccer they deserve a new facility as well.

I agree about soccer getting the upgrade and that there are tons of other things that need to be upgraded before we commit vast amount of resources that are needed to make an OCS a possibility.  

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

i wouldn't want the stadium on the mall property... i want a stadium that is in EASY walking distance from classrooms.

I want a stadium where recruits come to visit and it is towering above them,

I want a stadium where students make their visit... and they see a nice, large stadium to help in the decision process...

• Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

All of our athletic facilites (excluding the training buiding and the new soccer/track and field) needs upgrading or to  be built new. Looking at UCF, FSU, UF's facilities, ours are complete garbage. I know that FSU and UF have a ton of more donors than we do, but we need to find a way to upgrade within the next few years. I was looking at the baseball section on gousfbulls.com and theres a tab that takes you to a page showing artists renderings and descriptions of the new baseball stadium.....dang its going to be nice. Hopefully they can get the ball rolling on that soon.

• Content Count:  21,137
  • Days Won:  39

Why would you want the bad karma of University Mall tainting the OCS?  That's like building on a sacred burial ground or something.

Archived