• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

OCS Opprotunity???

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Just a quick observation I made today while shopping at the University Mall, but is it me or is the place going under like Eastlake Mall did back in the early 1990's.

I heard that the mall is near bankruptcy and its only getting worse with Dillards, Steve Barry's, Dunderbaks, and a dozen or so other normal stores leaving.

This got me thinking about the possibility of USF buying out the mall if it goes under to build a stadium / crap... IF it goes under I don't see the University letting it get away from them since they are running out of room on campus as it is.

:2cents

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,478
  • Days Won:  0

That would be great. Then they would need to build a walk way over Bruce B Downs so students could walk there.

Definitely where they need to build it

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

The mall is in the middle of a multimillion dollar renovation so i don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon.  Also the Sears owns its property on it's won lease that is separate from the mall so that further complicates things. 

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

The mall area would be nice.  It would certainly help with parking, but I don't see it happening yet.  USF doesn't have the cash to fund a stadium.  FSU screwed our chances at getting state funding for it when they built their classrooms/stadium upgrade.

If the lot were to become available at a good price I imagine the school would consider it, but the stadium wouldn't come for some years.  I'm not sure they'd want to buy the lot and tear the mall down and just hold onto it, but who knows.

The mall is in the middle of a multimillion dollar renovation so i don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon.  Also the Sears owns its property on it's won lease that is separate from the mall so that further complicates things. 

Sears isn't the only store in that situation either, but if the mall goes down those store just make a killing if USF buys the property.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  4,442

Sears is in the design phase of adding at store at the Shops at Wiregrass.... That store won't be open more than 2 years from now... And the Macy's will also be closing at the end of their lease... Without anchors a Mall can't survive... University can renovate all they want but the writing is on the wall... it's not going to make it.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Sears is in the design phase of adding at store at the Shops at Wiregrass.... That store won't be open more than 2 years from now... And the Macy's will also be closing at the end of their lease... Without anchors a Mall can't survive... University can renovate all they want but the writing is on the wall... it's not going to make it.

The CEO of Sears but a stop to adding any full line retail stores about a year ago.  There will be a sears appliance show room added down that way in about a year or so but not a full line store. 

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

The renovations are complete and I confirmed what my bud told me... the mall owners (not Sears) bet the farm that a few million gallons of paint and nicer walking space / food court would save the mall from going under and unless they can find some replacement book ends for Steve Barry's, Macy's, & Dillards space they will fold in a year or two.

• Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

The mall area would be nice.  It would certainly help with parking, but I don't see it happening yet.  USF doesn't have the cash to fund a stadium.  FSU screwed our chances at getting state funding for it when they built their classrooms/stadium upgrade.

If the lot were to become available at a good price I imagine the school would consider it, but the stadium wouldn't come for some years.  I'm not sure they'd want to buy the lot and tear the mall down and just hold onto it, but who knows.

How does that work?

The renovations are complete and I confirmed what my bud told me... the mall owners (not Sears) bet the farm that a few million gallons of paint and nicer walking space / food court would save the mall from going under and unless they can find some replacement book ends for Steve Barry's, Macy's, & Dillards space they will fold in a year or two.

well... Here's to crushing the hopes and dreams of the store owners in the mall  :cheers

At least Dunders is making it out alive.

Archived