• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

OCS Opprotunity???

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

The mall is in the middle of a multimillion dollar renovation so i don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon.  Also the Sears owns its property on it's won lease that is separate from the mall so that further complicates things. 

Sears is in the design phase of adding at store at the Shops at Wiregrass.... That store won't be open more than 2 years from now... And the Macy's will also be closing at the end of their lease... Without anchors a Mall can't survive... University can renovate all they want but the writing is on the wall... it's not going to make it.

The CEO of Sears but a stop to adding any full line retail stores about a year ago.  There will be a sears appliance show room added down that way in about a year or so but not a full line store. 

But with the other 3 anchor's closing by the end of the year it won't matter. And Steve Barry's didn't count anyways as they didn't use the space or generate the revenue that JCPenny did. There aren't any other anchor stores to fill the slots... Not with Wiregrass less than 10 miles away and Brandon Town Center 10 miles down the interstate the other way... Sears is in the process of closing most of their standalone stores and won't take on another one... Whether they own the land or not, that store is not long for being open if the rest of the mall closes... Ask the stores at TampaBay Center.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The mall area would be nice.  It would certainly help with parking, but I don't see it happening yet.  USF doesn't have the cash to fund a stadium.  FSU screwed our chances at getting state funding for it when they built their classrooms/stadium upgrade.

If the lot were to become available at a good price I imagine the school would consider it, but the stadium wouldn't come for some years.  I'm not sure they'd want to buy the lot and tear the mall down and just hold onto it, but who knows.

How does that work?

FSU used some "creative" building when the upgraded Doak using state funds... they added classrooms to the stadium... The state legislature got pissed and closed the loophole.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

well... Here's to crushing the hopes and dreams of the store owners in the mall  :cheers

At least Dunders is making it out alive.

Thank god for that... the only reason i go to that toliet bowl is because of Dunderbak's... its my home away from home.

New location is better for them anyway... the Bull Runner drops off a block behind their new location. A good way to side step the on campus Beef's beer prohibition during the day  ;)

:cheers

• Content Count:  223
  • Days Won:  0

The mall is not going under..

They are, in fact, becoming an Outlet Mall over the next year or so. You think the crowd is bad now? Just you wait.

well... Here's to crushing the hopes and dreams of the store owners in the mall  :cheers

Thank god for that... the only reason i go to that toliet bowl is because of Dunderbak's... its my home away from home.

New location is better for them anyway... the Bull Runner drops off a block behind their new location. A good way to side step the on campus Beef's beer prohibition during the day  ;)

Where are they moving too.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

In the plaza next to Acropolis, Jersey Mikes, and the Hess... they have a huge center chunk of the building.

The mall is not going under..

They are, in fact, becoming an Outlet Mall over the next year or so. You think the crowd is bad now? Just you wait.

That's fine... it'll float for a few years and preserve the land for later use... Outlet Malls don't make it... Eastlake and the former outlet mall at I4 and MLK are proof of that. You have to have a specific set of circumstances for one to make it... Ellenton is established and the ones in Orlando have the foot traffic to make it work... plus they're more retail malls with the outlet moniker now.

You're right... the crowd is bad now... which is one of the reasons it won't make it.

• Content Count:  5,241

Beloved Dunderbaks!

Anywho, think we could wait at least a month or two after the season before the pointless ocs threads?

• Content Count:  667

Guys, with the new Shops at Wiregress built (which is really nice, I might add), the death of University Mall is inevitable.  That's how it goes with any old, crappy mall-- a new one comes along and steals its shoppers.  When that time comes, we should gobble up the land and at least buy it.  THEN, we can plan for building on it.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

2-6 big east team  doesnt deserve it's own stadium

Archived