• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Reflecting on this year

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  919
  • Days Won:  0

Here are our final rankings in the NCAA statistics:

Total Offense 38th

Total Defense 13th

Turnover Margin 94th

With those offense and defense rankings, you would think we would be better than 7-5.  Turnovers obviously hurt, that's why I included it. 

It seems to me that almost everything went against us this year.  Penalty calls, mistakes, bounces, you name it.  The team was just a little 'off'. 

The WV game has all kinds of examples that summarize the whole year for me:

-Two roughing the kicker penalties that should have both been blocked punts.

-Two overthrown wide open receivers that should have been 14 points.

-A pass interference penalty on Murphy when he tackles a receiver after the ball went over his head.

-No pass interference in the end zone against Taurus on the last play when he was hit before the ball gets there.

-Grothe underthrows a receiver resulting in an INT in the red zone.  You can't make those kind of mistakes.  Cost us at least 3 points.

-Grothe throws into double coverage on the 1st posession of the 2nd half resulting in an INT and 3 WV points.

-Gachette lays out a WR for some unknown reason during a route right before halftime.  Those 15 yards let WV get in FG position right before half and cost us 3 points.

These are examples of the 'little things' that cost teams games. 

Statistically, USF isn't far away from being like 10-2 (Cincy was 50 in total offense and 26 in total defense).  The team just needs to play smarter and hopefully the breaks go with us next year.  Expectations won't be as high, so I'm looking for a better 2009!

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  6,777
  • Days Won:  3

Yep.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

6th in conference games in scoring offense - down 14.9 ppg from last year +

6th in conference in scoring defense - ppg improved from last year =

6th place finish

only teams to finish behind us in both categories were UofL and Syracuse

we finish 6-1 if offense scores as well in conference on an average basis as we did last year. I expected offensive improvement from last year with 10 returning starters. we are 15 points worse per game.

• Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

6th place finish

we finish 6-1 if offense scores as well in conference on an average basis as we did last year. I expected offensive improvement from last year with 10 returning starters. we are 15 points worse per game.

We had something like the #2 total offense and #1 defense on the year. What those numbers tell me is that the O-line got hurt, and after the 1st string we didnt have the talent to give Grothe time and make holes for the running game.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

6th place finish

We had something like the #2 total offense and #1 defense on the year. What those numbers tell me is that the O-line got hurt, and after the 1st string we didnt have the talent to give Grothe time and make holes for the running game.

we finished that way in total yards but that's not what determines wins and losses. points do. we were 5th(20.5 ppg) in scoring defense and 4th (26.5 ppg) in scoring offense for the whole year. In conference, we averaged 19.4 ppg on offense and 23.1 ppg on defense. we ranked 6th in both of those categories.

we are averaging 15 ppg less in conference this year. it could have to do with playcalling and turnovers as much as it has to do with injuries. we had 2 turnovers and turned the ball over on downs in the red zone against WVU. we turned it over on downs twice against cincy inside the 10 yard line.

total yards can be misleading. we had only 17 fewer yards than rutgers but we had 33 less points. we outgained WVU and UofL but had fewer points. scoreboard is all that matters at the end of the day.

• Content Count:  6,502

Reflecting on this year:  Our conference play was piss poor...How the hell can any fan accept a 2 - 5 record in conference play? 

Will someone please enlighten me why you would accept that record ??  PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!

Maybe my old age has affected me, I just cannot comprehend the acceptance of the level of our conference play and record.

• Content Count:  5,241

Ummm who have you talked to that is ok with our conference record? cuz I havent found one person.

What was Grothe's TD/Int Ratio this year? I notice it took a nose dive after louisville

• Content Count:  6,502

Ummm who have you talked to that is ok with our conference record? cuz I havent found one person.

What was Grothe's TD/Int Ratio this year? I notice it took a nose dive after louisville

Read the posts....They are so freaking happy about going to a bowl game...The FREAKING MAJIC JACK ST PETE BOWL ??    All the stats have taken a nose dive. 

Archived