• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Meineke Bowl?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

I am sure this has been hashed and re-hashed, but I don't understand why Meineke and PapaJohns aren't more of a possibility. Assuming Rutgers/Pitt/USF wins this weekend, USF would have the third best overall record @ 8-4. Assuming the Sun doesn't make a deal with the devil to get ND then they would take a 9-3 Pitt over a 7-5 WV right? So why would Meinieke take a 7-5 WV over an 8-4 USF and why would PapaJohns take a 7-5 Rutgers over an 8-4 USF? You might argue that WV travels better to Charlotte than USF, but I can't imagine that Rutgers would travel any better to Birmingham than we would.

And hey I just got my passport, bring on the International bowl >:D

Some of you are in denial over Rutgers.  Look at the bigger picture and it comes down to fan history in bowl games, impact on local economy of the bowl game and possible tv viewers.  Your hate for Rutgers blinds you on the fact Rutgers has traveled better than USF when comparing bowl games.  When USF went to the Meineke Bowl and the Sun Bowl neither time did USF represent itself well with fan support.  I believe both bowl games USF had in the neighborhood of 6K and 4K.  Meanwhile, Rutgers took 12K (allotment of 8K  soldout) to the Insight Bowl which is on the other side of the country.  At the Texas Bowl Rutgers soldout their allotment of 12K and took over 18K to the game.  Last year at the International Bowl Rutgers had over 15K total (allotment of 7K soldout).  That is what bowl committees look at when viewing what each team brings to the local economy and the game.  Also, if you have a national following or offer a large tv market is another factor.  WVU has a national following and Rutgers has a large tv market to offer.

You obviously werent at at the Sun Bowl. We easily had 3 times as many fans as Oregon brought. I had Oregon people tell me they were impressed with our turnout.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,894

that was last year, fans are less likely to travel well with the state of the economy and the state of our team. That was our biggest bowl of our short bowl career. It was exciting. People don't seem as excited to go to the same bow we have already been to on a chance we go and have a terrible game when you can watch on tv, atleast St. Pete will be full of USF fans...I'm happy either way. Meineke I most likely wont be able to go because of the cost but we'll see.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

If Rutty finishes at 5-2 in conference we cannot be selected over them at 3-4.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  3,175
  • Days Won:  12

Hey, I don't have hate for Rutgers, don't lump me in that pile. I realize that Rutgers probably has a larger fan following nationally than USF does. Claim all you like but you cannot take into account what happened at Charlotte 4 years ago. This is a different a more rooted fan base. USF would rival any crowd that Rutgers would take to brimingham or charlotte. I have been at all the bowl games and can tell you that we had a crappy but loud turn out at Charlotte, a much better turn out at a crappy Birmingham stadium and an awesome turn out at the Sun Bowl. There are many, many people on this board who are happy USF is in a bowl and will happily go to wherever the bowl is played. And that group of people only gets bigger every year. BTW USF avg attendance according to the NCAA website, USF brings 10k more people per home game than Rutgers does. I would say that is a good indicator of what kind of following one would have headed to a bowl game.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

Hey, I don't have hate for Rutgers, don't lump me in that pile. I realize that Rutgers probably has a larger fan following nationally than USF does. Claim all you like but you cannot take into account what happened at Charlotte 4 years ago. This is a different a more rooted fan base. USF would rival any crowd that Rutgers would take to brimingham or charlotte. I have been at all the bowl games and can tell you that we had a crappy but loud turn out at Charlotte, a much better turn out at a crappy Birmingham stadium and an awesome turn out at the Sun Bowl. There are many, many people on this board who are happy USF is in a bowl and will happily go to wherever the bowl is played. And that group of people only gets bigger every year. BTW USF avg attendance according to the NCAA website, USF brings 10k more people per home game than Rutgers does. I would say that is a good indicator of what kind of following one would have headed to a bowl game.

that isn't a probable, it is definite.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Dude, +e sold 4200 tickets to Birminham and a similar number last year.

We don't travel ell just yet. We're young. Wel2e gonna get passed up.

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

The final number of tickets sold for BHam was 6200 not 4200.  Not how many showed, but tickets sold.  Don't make me dig up the article.

• Content Count:  1,390

Posted from a blackberry or while wasted.........which one? ???

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

TX,

Greg said 4200 last week.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Joe is right.  We sold around 4200 for birmingham from our allotment, but we had closer to 6500 usf fans there.  Last year there were 3500 or so at the Sun Bowl but we sold significantly fewer from our allotment. 

I don't think we would sell out our allotment to any bowls at this time.  Give it a few years.

Archived