• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Burnham is getting a free pass

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

the defensive decision making has sucked.  If our corners are toast every other play you need to change the defense so we hide our weakness

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Also, try being realistic about things a bit. You want us to help our poor corners more, yet you want more guys rushing the passer and taking chances for turnovers? Yeah, that will alleviate the pressure the corners have. I think the poor corners are a key reason the defense has its holes, that and we're adjusting poorly to it.

I never said I wanted more guys to rush the QB.

blitzing is exactly how you disguise a bad secondary.

it gives the qb less time to pick them apart.

this is a huge problem with this defense this year. with nfl corners you can expect a 4 man rush to eventually get there. the only real success we had against rutgers was when we safety blitzed them a few times. forces quick throws.

3 or 4 man rush doesn't get there and qb has all day for something to open up deep. 3 man line with a combination of 2 or more corners, safeties and lbs coming from all different angles creates opportunities for turnovers.

aggressive defenses are better than complacent ones especially with a suspect secondary.

• Content Count:  637

I disagree that this team is built for blitzing. Have you not seen the success of shovel passes among others against us this year?

Teams can throw long bombs against us and are perfectly apt to get big yards after catch.

What the hell is our defense good at again?

Long passes X

Short passes X

Running game X

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I disagree that this team is built for blitzing. Have you not seen the success of shovel passes among others against us this year?

Teams can throw long bombs against us and are perfectly apt to get big yards after catch.

What the hell is our defense good at again?

Long passes X

Short passes X

Running game X

any team can blitz. Kansas used the shovel effectively. does that mean we shouldn't blitz ever? our agressive defense in the 3rd quater turned that game in our favor.

Teams throw bombs because the qb has all day to sit there and wait for a play to develop. that leaves your corners exposed. it worked with nfl corners. not so much now.

we rush 3 or 4, never get there and someone ends up running wide open in the secondary. we blitz williams twice from the safety spot. results were 1 sack and 1 incomplete pass.

• Content Count:  4,738

His defense was atrocious in the Sun Bowl (they played as if Wally treated them to a Donkey Show the night before in Juarez)

Donkey Show FTW

• Content Count:  1,894

it seems if we do blitz, its a safety, and he rarely gets through..he is almost always picked up and we get burned deep. The other teams are blitzing linebackers against Grothe. Defensively we don't have an identity. Without the two corners, Nate Allen misewell not even be on the field. He has done squat this year. Mitchell is holding his own but we have zero help over the top move of the time. Wally has recieved a pass, but I think it's because we know we normally a defensive team, and we lost three nfl type guys and clebert, so he gets a pass. It is only fair he recieves a pass, Gregory...he is a failure.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

I blame Wally for not having the brains to figure out that we are week in the MLB spot... the ESPN announcers this year have pointed it out dozens of times and I'm sure that the opposing OC's figured that out long ago.

Wally needs to drill the hell out of the middle defense until they shape up.

• Content Count:  5,241

I think Burnham hasnt done well this year, but listening to his interviews he seems much more frustrated and pissed off then gregory or leavitt. Also, the talent of LBs and the secondary has definitely dropped off this year. Cartlon Williams and Nate Allen cant do it all themselves.

I think the only coordinator/coach that deserves to go is Gregory, because the offense has been incredibly inconsistent over the past 2 years. Theyll look great against teams we're suppose to easily beat like Tenn Martin and Syracuse, but then go flat (which in turn, hurts the defense)

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

our defense certainly leaves much to be desired, and Burnham must share in the blame for that...

BUT, i think the reason he is not getting as much heat as Gregory for the shortcomings of this team is that he doesn't have multiple season of ineptitude under his belt.

yes, our offensive stats have increased under Gregory the past couple seasons, but stats don't always translate into winning game plans, and poor playcalling at critical times [esp. in the redzone... naked bootleg left, anyone?] and an overall predictable, unimaginative offense has cost us in conference play two years in a row now.

Archived