• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East Expansion Poll

Cow Pie

If the Big East were to expand this offseason by 1 team, which school would you like to add?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

none

big east is better off doing nothing

This is one of those rare moments where I agree with you.

Guest nybullsfan

Of the teams listed, I chose Memphis, but ND would actually be a better choice right now. Here's my analysis from the other thread

Saying that adding Tulane would bring the R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl, or that adding Memphis would bring the Liberty Bowl (as mentioned in another thread), is like saying that adding USF would have brought the Outback Bowl to the Big East. Just because a school plays in the same stadium means nothing about the conference associations for the bowl game that uses that stadium.

Georgetown and Nova both play BE basketball and D1AA football, but neither is interested in moving to 1A. Even if they wanted to make the move, adding them wouldn't make the BE a better football conference. They'll never get to be powerhouses, at least not for another 15 years or so. Same goes for ANY D1AA program - even Appy State or Delaware. We don't need an anemic Duke / Vandy / Northwestern type (we already have Cuse) - we need another GOOD football program. Also, other than PSU, no current ACC / SEC / B10 / B12 / P10 team could even be considered - why would they jump??

Anyway, let's look at the D1A candidates:

The biggest obstacle is that the BE already has 16 basketball teams, it would be impossible to bring in an all-sports school unless basketball went to 17+ teams, or a b-ball-only team got kicked out. Highly unlikely, but who would be good?

1. Penn State: Great football, alumni, and TV ratings. Got vetoed by Pitt before, and are unlikely to leave the B10 now, even if they were invited.

2. Memphis: Good TV market, not terrible in football, and would add a LOT to the basketball league.

These teams might be willing to join as football-only. Again, unlikely, but who would be good candidates?

1. Navy and/or Army: Great TV and alum market. Good regional match. Could be good teams from time-to-time, but they will always be undersized.

2. FAU: Great TV market, will be good soon (and BE membership would help that), no bad blood with the league like UCF, could be willing to join as football-only.

3. ECU: Small TV, they made a good statement by beating WVU, and VaTech, but not consistently good enough (yet). Have already said they'd be willing to join as football-only.

4. Southern Miss: Small TV, not consistently good enough (yet). Could be a good choice someday.

5. Nobody else in CUSA or SunBelt is regionally appropriate, brings enough reputation/TV/alums, or is good enough to invite (especially Tulane!).

Teams that will never be invited, either as football-only, or as all-sport teams, and why.

1. UCF: Great TV market, decent team, but would be vetoed by USF, Pitt, and WVU. Too much bad history

2. Marshall: No TV, not that good, would be vetoed by WVU. They think about Marshall the same way we think about UCF

Last, and very much least, teams with an open invitation, who are actively snubbing the Big East

1. Notre Dame: As long as they have the NBC contract, they make far more $$ from football as an independent than they would as a BE member. Those Bas**rds!!

Much as I would like the BE to expand, unless Notre Dame decides to bite the bullet and play a full league schedule, I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

:deadhorse

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Yet another one of these polls? There is no Big East expansion that is imminent, nor is their a suitable member to add outside of ND, and we know they aren't coming.

• Content Count:  4,642
  • Days Won:  0

we'd have to raid the ACC or big ten to get any teams that are worthwhile

Guest nybullsfan

Maybe an interesting way to ask the question would be:

"If Notre Dame jumped to the Big 10 (which is where they really belong, after all), who would you pick (from a non-BCS conference) to replace them?"

In this case, I think it's clear. Memphis.

Guest nybullsfan

Maybe an interesting way to ask the question would be:

"If Notre Dame jumped to the Big 10 (which is where they really belong, after all), who would you pick (from a non-BCS conference) to replace them?"

In this case, I think it's clear. Memphis.

• Content Count:  684

villanova would be a great addition to academics and basketball

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

villanova would be a great addition to academics and basketball

Villanova is already part of the Big East.  Just not for football.  They play in the FCS division (formerly 1-AA) and have no intentions of moving up.

• 3 weeks later...

• Content Count:  2,019
  • Days Won:  2

Appalachain State, Notre Dame, Memphis, ECU.

Find a way to divide into 6 team divisions and have a Championship Game

• Content Count:  4

;D ;D ;DGood luck!!!!I picked Troy.  If the Big East does expand, which it wont, I think a southern team is what we need.  I'm too greedy to pick another Florida team ;D ;D

Archived