• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UCiF fans are now suddenly 'ok' with hardship transfers....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Looks like UCiF just received a transfer from Notre Dame that they are going to apply for a "hardship" case for the young man. This is seemingly a high priority for the Tinmen b/c they have lost two of their best WRs in Guyton and Akiens to injury.

Suddenly, UCiF fans are 'okay' with hardship transfers. I'm sure they will come up with some sort of 'sob story' why this kid is more deserving than any of USF kids to receive special consideration from the NCAA.

UCF loses Kamar Aiken to injury, gains Notre Dame transfer Richard Jackson

posted by Iliana Limón on Aug 23, 2008 3:54:38 PM

The UCF football team took another hit at wide receiver, but the Knights hope it will be offset by the arrival of a high-profile transfer.

Sophomore wide receiver Kamar Aiken, who was expected to be a starter, is out at least four weeks with a foot injury. Aiken was on crutches as he watched Saturday morning's practice from the sidelines. UCF Coach George O'Leary said Aiken complained that his foot was bothering him, so team doctors did an MRI. "He has a stress fracture in the fifth metatarsal," O'Leary said. "He was operated on yesterday and screws were put in. He's probably out four weeks."

The fifth metatarsal is the long, outer foot bone that connects to the little toe. It typically takes six weeks to recover from a fifth metatarsal fracture, but athletes are known for quicker recoveries. Aiken played as a true freshman last season and has the option of redshirting this season.

The bad news could be offset by the arrival of Notre Dame transfer wide receiver Richard Jackson, who is enrolled at UCF and walking on to the football team after deciding to leave the Fighting Irish program. Jackson, a Clermont East Ridge grad, was a four-star recruit and ranked the No. 25 wide receiver in the 2006 recruiting class by Rivals.com.

Jackson watched the Knights practice Saturday morning and is awaiting the completion of his physical exam before he can begin working out with the team. Under NCAA transfer rules, Jackson is required to sit out one year, but UCF officials are working to see if he can join the Knights sooner rather than later. "We are going to apply for a hardship on him to see if he can be eligible," O'Leary said. "That hasn't been done yet. That's in the process right now."

O'Leary said it would help the Knights' wide receivers corps if Jackson were eligible this season. "He's a receiver and we're down numbers now with the injuries we've had at receiver, so he would give us some depth over there," O'Leary said.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_ucf/2008/08/ucf-loses-kamar.html

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Too bad about Aiken.

I won't say anything about the kid's need to transfer because like ours only the school and family know the reason he had to transfer.  Although a week before the season would be pretty. Short to learn the playbook.

I guess some ucf fans will have to justify this in comparison to the transfers we had.

They might want to ask us for help on how to fill out the application.  ;-)

• Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

I agree with Sanjay, and won't address the issues the student is facing.  However, it is funny from the standpoint that ucIFers always talked trash about players that transferred into USF.  Here we are at the beginning of the season, and they just got the fifth year kicker from Miami, and are now trying to get this kid cleared as well.  Just another notch on the list of items that ucIF fans are hypocrits about...

• Content Count:  2,239
  • Days Won:  0

I don't know the reason he transfered or why some of the USF players did.

As for hardship waivers, lets put the number of them into perspective how many players tried to apply.  UCF has had very few in comparison to USF.  Could they all be legit?  Maybe.  The high number does set off a red flag.

• Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

What is this "red flag" UCiF fans are always talking about with hardship transfer? The reasons for at least half the kids that have received these hardship transfers have been reported in the papers. For the others, its a private matter and we should respect a kid's right to privacy.

The numbers are a natural result of kids wanting to return home but still try and to play division I-A football.  Schools like UF, FSU and UM don't need to supplement their rosters with these type of kids bc they get everyone they need from recruiting. In contrast, programs like USF....and now UCF....are still building. UCF will likely see more kids attending UCF as hardship cases b/c :

1. UCF's rise makes it more attractive

2. USF will likely be less interested in these types of situations as it's recruiting improves

UCF would have loved to have taken most of the hardship cases USF has received. Unfortunately, many UCF fans....not you....are being petty that UCF were not in the mix.

Good luck to this kid...

The NCAA has tried to make an effort to be more "Student-athelete" friendly, and hardship transfers is one way they are doing it.

I think they should rename the waiver cause on man circumstances around the country, it really isn't a hardship.  Hell, I don't think the new UCF player should get one, but that's just me.

I don't know the reason he transfered or why some of the USF players did.

As for hardship waivers, lets put the number of them into perspective how many players tried to apply.  UCF has had very few in comparison to USF.  Could they all be legit?  Maybe.  The high number does set off a red flag.

You do realize that the NCAA requires specific documentation that supports any request, right?  So, while you can claim the red flag all you want, it's nothing more than ucIF spin.

I think they should rename the waiver cause on man circumstances around the country, it really isn't a hardship.  Hell, I don't think the new UCF player should get one, but that's just me.

I haven't heard the reason for the hardship, are you aware of it?

As far as I knoew, he wanted to be closer to home.  No one should get a waiver for that, regardless of the school.

Didn't a couple of your waiver players just want to play closer to home?

• Content Count:  4,016

As far as I knoew, he wanted to be closer to home.  No one should get a waiver for that, regardless of the school.

Didn't a couple of your waiver players just want to play closer to home?

The NCAA does not grant waivers because a player wants to 'play closer to home'....in all cases with USF's waiver approvals there was a "REASON" to play closer to home, like a sick mother, a family issue because one player had to take care of a brother, etc.  I repeat the NCAA would summarily reject a request simply on 'playing closer to home' and that's in their bi-laws, the only way a hardship is granted is if they see extenuating circumstances.  I have no idea if Richard has such an issue, his issues at ND were a bit of a mystery (he went from playing special teams as a freshman to being buried deep, deep in the depth chart, redshirting last year, and dropping further behind in the depth chart), that type of situation makes you wonder if there was something that caused Jackson to lose focus or interest, i.e. maybe something at home that caused it.  Just food for thought of course, but if Richard has a legit hardship and he's not transfering just for a chance of scenary then I hope he gets his hardship waiver.  No kid should be forced to suffer because of family or external issues that cause his play to suffer because the fact he's 1000 miles from home and is needed closer to home.

That's just my opinion.  Good luck getting Richard approved.

Archived