• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF's New Tradition Blooms After OT Victory

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

From the Tampa Tribune

USF's New Tradition Blooms After OT Victory

By BRETT McMURPHY bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com

Published: Sep 27, 2004

FORT WORTH, Texas - Seconds after Texas Christian's Reeves Dalton couldn't handle center Andrew Calovich's extra point snap in double overtime, giving South Florida an improbable 45-44 victory, several Bulls fell to the ground.

Some may have collapsed in exhaustion, but the majority of the Bulls were delivering on a promise they made to Coach Jim Leavitt.

The Bulls had designated their Conference USA opener as their first-ever ``Sod Game'' and started pulling out handfuls of the Carter Stadium turf.

``I've got some purple and white grass right here that I'm taking back,'' USF senior tackle Derrick Sarosi said.

The Bulls plan to build a ``Sod Cemetery,'' burying turf brought home from an opponent's field after a big win.

``I'm not sure where we'll put the cemetery,'' USF senior Javan Camon said. ``How about inside the entrance to the practice field?''

How about the Bulls? USF (2-1, 1-0 C-USA) overcame two seven-point deficits in the final four minutes of regulation to force overtime and end TCU's 15-game home regular-season winning streak.

The Bulls, who won an NCAA record three double OT games last year, are 5-0 all- time in overtime. ``We're real good in overtime,'' Camon said.

There were plenty of standouts during the 4-hour marathon, but Leavitt said there was no doubt about the night's biggest play.

With TCU leading 24-17 with 6:48 remaining in regulation, senior Bruce Gipson blocked TCU's 34-yard field goal attempt.

``That was huge,'' Leavitt said. ``That would have been it. That would have been the ballgame.''

Still down 7, quarterback Pat Julmiste then drove the Bulls 68 yards for the tying score. Julmiste hit running back Andre Hall on a 17-yard touchdown pass on fourth down.

The Bulls' offense, which was the nation's third worst after two games, rolled up 407 yards. For the first time in USF history the Bulls had a 300- yard passer (Julmiste 22 of 33, 324 yards), 100-yard rusher (Hall, 119 yards) and 100-yard receiver (Joe Bain, 110 yards).

``We just jelled,'' Julmiste said. ``We just had to step up. The last two games we hadn't. Big time players step in big time games and we stepped up as a team.''

Added USF offensive coordinator Mike Hobbie: ``We had clutch plays, big plays. Where we weren't making plays the first two games, we did [saturday]. We've had people open [the first two games] and didn't get the ball to them. This time, Pat put the ball where he needed and the receivers caught it.''

Hobbie said Hall's performance - 228 all-purpose yards, tied for the fourth-most in school history and a school- record tying four TDs - was no surprise. Hall, though, was somewhat surprised.

``I haven't ever seen our offense like that, even in practice,'' Hall said. ``The guys really stepped up and the offensive line blocked very well.''

Hall, Julmiste, Bain and S.J. Green (seven catches, 98 yards) highlighted the offense. One of the biggest contributions on defense came from Gipson. A day after being a pallbearer at his brother's funeral, Gipson started at wide receiver. In the second half with the Bulls' secondary tiring, Gipson took it upon himself and entered the game at cornerback - without the coaches' knowledge.

``Somebody said they were tired, so I just went out there,'' Gipson said. ``I was just trying to help the team.''

Gipson admitted he was worn out, attending Friday's funeral in Port Charlotte and then playing both ways.

``This one was for [his brother] Del' Trone [Gomilla], I know he was up there watching us,'' Gipson said.

Camon, who is Gipson and Gomilla's cousin, also was a pallbearer.

``You have to play your hearts out and we played this game for Del' Trone,'' Camon said. ``When you come out victorious and you know you played your hearts out, it makes it that much sweeter.''

Sarosi said the sweetest part of the night was quieting TCU's crowd and avenging last year's loss to TCU that stopped USF's 21-game home winning streak.

``The players on our team have the biggest hearts,'' Sarosi said. ``I'm so proud of the receivers, our quarterback threw for some numbers. It was some great stuff.

``The best part of the night, though, was quieting the TCU fans. Let's just say they're not very Christian. We listened most of the night because we don't talk until after we get a `W.' ''

Limping to the team bus carrying a piece of Carter Stadium turf, Sarosi was talking loud and clear.

ODDS AND ENDS: Because of Hurricane Jeanne, the Bulls couldn't return to Tampa until today. ... Among the players who didn't make the trip to TCU: SS Johnnie Jones (neck, back) and DLs Matt Groelinger (concussion) and Allen Cray (death of his aunt). Sarosi (knee) and OG Chris Carothers (ankle) suffered injuries, but should play Saturday against Southern Miss.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  687
  • Content Count:  7,660
  • Days Won:  6

Guys, I am all for tradition but if another team did that at RayJay, the TSA and Bucs would probably press charges.  Maintaining these fields is a very expensive operation.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

Let's keep things in perspective here...

I don't think they're taking 2' x 2' pieces of sod.  Probably more like the size of a divot a cleat would dig up when someone makes a cut.  Just another 2-3 holes to fill with sand among the 100.

Anyway, like the TCU posted said, "to the victor goes the spoils".

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Seems like a very strange "tradition"

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  183
  • Days Won:  0

FSU has had this same "tradition" since the 60's--they have also ticked off many opponents (especially the gators):

http://community-2.webtv.net/The-Johnz/THEHISTORYOFTHESOD/

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

I don't really like this tradition 'cuz its a copy of FSU's.  The 'Noles were doing this during the Charley Ward yrs.  Still a killer win though.

I don't like the tradition... but if it gets under the frog fans skin... so be it  ;)

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  919

I don't like this either.  Don't do things to anger your opponent.  I don't want teams to use this as motivation against us in years to come.  How fired up will TCU be if we come back to Forth Worth to play again??!!?

as we've seen in the past, if you don't do anything to piss off the other team, they make things up (USM claims we were throwing batteries at them 2 years ago??) to use as ammo anyway.  ::)