• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

OC Grant Gregory | Feature Back

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

some of these guys kill me. What is wrong with having more than one good back in the backfield. It seemed to would well for AU and Ark in the past. Just to name a few. I expect to see alot of Taylor and Ford in the next few seasons and this season alot of W.T.F.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

some of these guys kill me. What is wrong with having more than one good back in the backfield. It seemed to would well for AU and Ark in the past. Just to name a few. I expect to see alot of Taylor and Ford in the next few seasons and this season alot of W.T.F.

My take on Gregory's comments are little different.  My feeling is that the bigger picture he is communicating is that this offense revolves around a running QB rather than the RB position like we had with Hall.  There is no one back that has separated himself in all facets of the game to be in on every play and to to build the offense around for 30 carries a game (like Rutgers did with Rice or Pitt with McCoy).  We have a stable of good backs, but the offense is predicated on what the QB does not on what the RB does. 

• Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

i can't stand Gregory.  if we fail to win 10 games this season, i wan't his head on a platter with a pink slip in its mouth.

I dislike his play calling and style as well. I would have booted him after last year.

• Content Count:  4,016

Gregory was on 1010 today...he mentioned all four backs were locked in a heated battle.  Not to worry about one particular back because all will get their chances.  This is usually a positive in every world I have ever lived in, competitive athletes pushing themselves and the others to be better.  Maybe there is a parallel Universe where a few of these board members reside where that isn't the case, but Gregory assured the insecure again today that Ford is an important part of the offense, and he's neck and neck but that even Richard Kelly is a very, very similar player to Ford and he's pushing Ford.  He also mentioned that Ford's working very hard on his deficiencies like his blocking, and learning the checkdowns, and would freely admitted to any of you if asked since some of you think the only reason he's not annointed 'king of the team' is because the coaches are all idiots.

BTW, you may hate Gregory, but the stats don't even remotely tell the same story.  As it's been clearly articulated that this board is filled with football genius, but Gregory led USF to their most prolific in rushing, total yards, total points, most yards in a game, most 400+ yard games...all records Gregory broke in his first year as OC....that was with a team that had a propensity to turn the ball over, and was decimated by injuries.  I for one would kinda like to see if he can build off the stats and improve the 32nd best offense in the nation.  You may not like his offense or calls, maybe you love the wishbone, you have a man crush on Ford, but the fact is he hasn't lost us a game, and really had the offense clicking last year at certain points. 

• Content Count:  2,523

Gregory was on 1010 today...he mentioned all four backs were locked in a heated battle.  Not to worry about one particular back because all will get their chances.  This is usually a positive in every world I have ever lived in, competitive athletes pushing themselves and the others to be better.  Maybe there is a parallel Universe where a few of these board members reside where that isn't the case, but Gregory assured the insecure again today that Ford is an important part of the offense, and he's neck and neck but that even Richard Kelly is a very, very similar player to Ford and he's pushing Ford.  He also mentioned that Ford's working very hard on his deficiencies like his blocking, and learning the checkdowns, and would freely admitted to any of you if asked since some of you think the only reason he's not annointed 'king of the team' is because the coaches are all idiots.

BTW, you may hate Gregory, but the stats don't even remotely tell the same story.  As it's been clearly articulated that this board is filled with football genius, but Gregory led USF to their most prolific in rushing, total yards, total points, most yards in a game, most 400+ yard games...all records Gregory broke in his first year as OC....that was with a team that had a propensity to turn the ball over, and was decimated by injuries.  I for one would kinda like to see if he can build off the stats and improve the 32nd best offense in the nation.  You may not like his offense or calls, maybe you love the wishbone, you have a man crush on Ford, but the fact is he hasn't lost us a game, and really had the offense clicking last year at certain points. 

An OC can only do what his talent allows.  As I didn't agree with a number of decisions last year in play calling, I can see why we did most of them as our line was in shambles and we just weren't strong enough in execution or physicality to ENFORCE OUR WILL on a defense other than UCF.  I expect more this year bc the pieces of this team are MUCH IMPROVED on offense at every single position.

The biggest thing that could hold him back is if we can't limit the turnovers and stupid penalties.  How many times did we have something going only to shoot ourselves in the foot with a few false starts or personal foul?  Hopefully the coaches worked on execution a TON bc it was definitely lacking last year.

Most importantly, the biggest SCREW UPS last year weren't Gregory, they were Leavitts!  An OC does what he's directed to do and CJL mismanaged a number of those games we lost by not teaching this team to go for the throat on every play of EVERY game. 

I don't believe in holding back against lesser competition.  They're getting paid well these days, beat the hell out of them.  You never saw FSU, Miami or UF in their best years "hold back" when drubbing the Dukes of the world.  They knew only one way to play, "I'm going to beat your brains out and the only thing that will stop me is we run out of time!"

CJL tries too much to dial it up or down and I hope last year he learned you can't hold back.  If you get used to executing on every play, it doesn't matter if the other teams knows what's coming.  Look at the Colts, nothing they do is new and it's actually a very simple offense.  they just execute it better than a defense can execute defending it.

I agree with everything you say except this bolded part.  Gregory did lose a game - U Conn.  Now, I know there is an axiom in football that it's never about one play.  But the fact remains that he tried running a naked bootleg late in the game when another call probably would have scored.  Gregory himself even admitted it was a bad call on his part.

So, if you say "he only lost us one game," then your comments would be spot on.

BTW, you may hate Gregory, but the stats don't even remotely tell the same story.  As it's been clearly articulated that this board is filled with football genius, but Gregory led USF to their most prolific in rushing, total yards, total points, most yards in a game, most 400+ yard games...all records Gregory broke in his first year as OC....that was with a team that had a propensity to turn the ball over, and was decimated by injuries.  I for one would kinda like to see if he can build off the stats and improve the 32nd best offense in the nation.  You may not like his offense or calls, maybe you love the wishbone, you have a man crush on Ford, but the fact is he hasn't lost us a game, and really had the offense clicking last year at certain point

I agree with everything you say except this bolded part.  Gregory did lose a game - U Conn.  Now, I know there is an axiom in football that it's never about one play.  But the fact remains that he tried running a naked bootleg late in the game when another call probably would have scored.  Gregory himself even admitted it was a bad call on his part.

So, if you say "he only lost us one game," then your comments would be spot on.

If there were one game I'd put on him it would have been Rutgers because he didn't adjust to what the defense had been throwing at him.  Even at that, though, missed tackles (McKenzie stands out the most) and special teams play hurt just as much and we should have never been in that situation to begin with.

I don't blame the UCONN game on Gregory.  As you said, he made a poor play call, but there is more than enough blame to go around.  2 missed field goals, horrible pass by Grothe in the end zone, dropped pass by #9, penalty at the goal line,.  When you blow 5 chances to score a TD inside the 10 it more about execution than playcalling.  Also hard to complain about playcalling when we had almost 450 yards.  The defense gave up 20 first downs and in that game.  That game could have turned out differently in so many ways.  I can't put that one on just Gregory.

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

the fact is he hasn't lost us a game, and really had the offense clicking last year at certain points. 

two words: "naked bootleg."

if there is any greater example of an OC's **** play-calling costing a team a game, i would like to hear it.

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

In the last 8 games of the year he produced a top ten offense. 

we also went 4-4 in our last 8 games.

statistical rankings mean nothing if they don't produce wins.

the fact is he hasn't lost us a game, and really had the offense clicking last year at certain points. 

two words: "naked bootleg."

if there is any greater example of an OC's **** play-calling costing a team a game, i would like to hear it.

The defense gave up 167 yards to Dixon, couldn't stop him on 3rd and long all game, couldn't get their offense off the field, we had 5 chances to score inside their 5 yard line, fumbled the ball once, Grothe hit their DB in the knees in the front  of the End zone for an INT when he could have walked in backwards or thrown to a wide open Edwards in the back of the end zone, Ced Hill gets hit right in the middle of his #9 for anotherdropped  TD, we have a TD called back on a phantom holding call, we miss 2 easy FGs, we rack up 440 total yards of offense with 7 freshman playing at the same time on offense on some plays and the you blame the OC on one poor play call for the loss of that game????? You have got to be kidding me!!!

At some point someone has to make a play during the game to win.  How many oportunities do you want to win the game?

I'd put the blame on Carl Franks for sending Plancher out before I would blame Gregory for the loss because of one play call.

Archived