• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

OC Grant Gregory | Feature Back

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  431
  • Days Won:  0

One of the recent headline stories on Rivals is "Gregory: Don't expect feature back soon." I give it credibility because they quote OC Gregory in the article.

The lead in to the premium material is "USF is a long way from the day it will have a feature back. In fact, Bulls offensive coordinator Greg Gregory can't see it happening anytime in the near future."

Whether this is negative or not is a debatable issue.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  971

Reading between the lines of the practice reports, it appears we don't have much of a running game unless the QB runs.  I hope this is just bait for our opponents, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it were true.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,650
  • Days Won:  29

I expect it's because we'll have two 1,000 yard rushers  ;D

Reading between the lines of the practice reports, it appears we don't have much of a running game unless the QB runs.  I hope this is just bait for our opponents, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it were true.

I'm not sure why you think USF won't have much of a running game.  Our OL is healthier and slimmer and more experienced than ever before.  Just because the coaches don't give one back 25 carries per game does not mean we won't "have much of a running game."

And no, it's not bait for opponents... when USF has a lot of good running backs, in this case four or five that are college-level talent, why have three or four guys sit on the bench?  Mixing things up is a good thing.

ONE NOTE: Last year during Elon, USF brought in a 3-RB set in a "mini-wishbone".  That first appearance, was a fake hand-off and pass to a wide-open Mike Ford.  That was also the last time USF passed out of that formation.  Which is why a bootleg out of that formation against U Conn failed miserably.  When you mix it up you really do have to mix it up -- don't give opponents the ability to say "Taylor is in, must be a pass"

JMHO

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

i can't stand Gregory.  if we fail to win 10 games this season, i wan't his head on a platter with a pink slip in its mouth.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I think Bleacherbull was referring to the blog about how the offense only worked with Daniels and Landi running the other day in the scrimmage.

To an extent, you are correct, but I interpreted it differently. Since our defense knows that MG and GGjr weren't going to run, they were able to key in on the RBs and stay in pass protection a little longer. Thats the beauty of having an athletic QB like MG. Sure, if we had Dan Marino and 2 6'5" 220# receivers, we could be more of a pure passing team. Or, if we had a top 5 OL, we could be more of a pure running team. As it stands, we're a hybrid, and yes, the QB's mobility has a lot to do with that. I didn't take anything bad from that article, thats our offense and when you take away one of the 3 options, of course it is going to sputter...especially against our defense who sees the offense every day.

• Content Count:  1,457

I expect it's because we'll have two 1,000 yard rushers  ;D

Or 4 - 750 yard rushers?

• Content Count:  1,985

I think this is just that "coach hedge" they like to do.  They know everyone, including their players, are reading these articles.  What better way to motivate your guys, and maybe throw off an early opponent then saying your seeing nothing great.  Kinda like CJL's daily reports.  He has concerns that nobody is really hustling, that there is no way we will be able to step up......Next day, I saw great hustle today, we are clean and tight and have never been stronger.....

9/30 will be the first reveal of what the team looks like.  Until then I read all of this because I am like a crack addict, but I know it is all lip service.

• Content Count:  3,407
  • Days Won:  1

I think this is just that "coach hedge" they like to do.  They know everyone, including their players, are reading these articles.  What better way to motivate your guys, and maybe throw off an early opponent then saying your seeing nothing great.  Kinda like CJL's daily reports.  He has concerns that nobody is really hustling, that there is no way we will be able to step up......Next day, I saw great hustle today, we are clean and tight and have never been stronger.....

9/30 will be the first reveal of what the team looks like.  Until then I read all of this because I am like a crack addict, but I know it is all lip service.

I do not expect to see the "real offense" until KANSAS... Of course if ucf keeps it close we may see more of the "real offense"...  I like the way the schedule sets up.. While we get a decent ucf for our warmup.. kansas gets FIU and then la tech...

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

i can't stand Gregory.  if we fail to win 10 games this season, i wan't his head on a platter with a pink slip in its mouth.

I respect your opinion that you "can't stand Gregory".  Just curious why.  In the last 8 games of the year he produced a top ten offense.  That was with 3 and sometimes 4 starting OL injured and at times 5 and 6 freshman on the fleld at the same time.

Archived