• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

OC Grant Gregory | Feature Back

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,894
  • Days Won:  0

Reading between the lines of the practice reports, it appears we don't have much of a running game unless the QB runs.  I hope this is just bait for our opponents, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it were true.

I'm not sure why you think USF won't have much of a running game.  Our OL is healthier and slimmer and more experienced than ever before.  Just because the coaches don't give one back 25 carries per game does not mean we won't "have much of a running game."

And no, it's not bait for opponents... when USF has a lot of good running backs, in this case four or five that are college-level talent, why have three or four guys sit on the bench?  Mixing things up is a good thing.

ONE NOTE: Last year during Elon, USF brought in a 3-RB set in a "mini-wishbone".  That first appearance, was a fake hand-off and pass to a wide-open Mike Ford.  That was also the last time USF passed out of that formation.  Which is why a bootleg out of that formation against U Conn failed miserably.   When you mix it up you really do have to mix it up -- don't give opponents the ability to say "Taylor is in, must be a pass"

JMHO

I would say it failed miserably because it was a naked bootleg..we should of had a tight end as a back up but naked bootlegs usually don't work when the qb is the leading rusher on the team. They work when the qb is the last person the defense thinks is going to run on a naked bootleg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Quick question. 

Where do you seperate execution and play calling. 

That's just it. Most people don't, especially because it's not cool to say Grothe made a bad read, or someone fumbled, or the line didn't block, or the defense made a good play, or they just got unlucky. It's all that bastard OC's fault, he should be fired!!!!!!!!!11!!!11!!!!!1!!

• Content Count:  3,403

Quick question. 

Where do you seperate execution and play calling. 

That's just it. Most people don't, especially because it's not cool to say Grothe made a bad read, or someone fumbled, or the line didn't block, or the defense made a good play, or they just got unlucky. It's all that bastard OC's fault, he should be fired!!!!!!!!!11!!!11!!!!!1!!

Ok, but it's just as bad to throw out others' criticisms without a counter argument.  Greg Greg makes mistakes, too.  It's not always his fault, but there are areas he could improve just like everyone else.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,650
  • Days Won:  29

...  Throw in a lot of breakdowns of all sorts on special teams ...

It amazes me that more don't call this out regarding the Rutgers loss.

Bottom Line, it's a team sport and The USF BULL Football TEAM lost those games. Simple ... many contributing factors.

Some great points from realistic people here ...

Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  12,463
  • Days Won:  25

E.T. and Windbane - exactly.

GO BULLS!

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Ok, but it's just as bad to throw out others' criticisms without a counter argument.  Greg Greg makes mistakes, too.  It's not always his fault, but there are areas he could improve just like everyone else.

I've always said that. It's these people who come in here and blame Gregory for EVERYTHING because they don't want to blame the players when they make mistakes, too. Oh, and the ones who get on Gregory's case because the offense "only" scored 25 or 30 points.

• Content Count:  3,403

I've always said that. It's these people who come in here and blame Gregory for EVERYTHING because they don't want to blame the players when they make mistakes, too. Oh, and the ones who get on Gregory's case because the offense "only" scored 25 or 30 points.

Yeah, we did have our highest scoring season ever.  It's hard to blame the OC for a lot.  I do think the playcalling could have been better against Rutgers and the UConn-game bootleg was a bad call considering that formation can go either way...which is why it works so well with Ford.  But watching those games over again, I think most people can see we had plenty of chances to win and many people were at fault for the losses.  That's why they hurt so much.

Also, like others have said, Greg Greg admitted he's made mistakes and we scored a lot of points throughout the season.  Overall I think he's doing a good job.  That won't stop me from pointing out mistakes, though...as if I have any effect on anything...

Archived