• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Check out what fell on my backyard...

Mag Pie

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,307
  • Days Won:  0

So, this fell on my back yard about an hour ago.  We heard some weird sound and my brother came yelling at us to go check out our backyard...It's a pretty huge tree.

I have no idea what to do now.  This tree has never shown signs of it about to fall, branches don't fall, nothing.  Does anyone know if the city pays for this?

104_5113.jpg

104_5114.jpg

104_5116.jpg

104_5118.jpg

PS:  The wind wasn't even that strong.  Maybe 15mph....so....I'm baffled.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I don't believe the city would pay for it...  it looks liek the tree is in your yard, so you would need to pay to have it removed...

(but don't take my word for it, hopefully someone else knows a bit more.. my thoughts are just a hunch)

• Content Count:  2,523

Looks like you'll have plenty of wood for smores this winter...(or the time period most of the rest of the country calls winter!)

From what I'm hearing the city won't pay for it.  But I did contact them, I'll see what they say.

We'll probably just go out and get a nice chainsaw or something.  And just take turns trying to cut that monster up.  After 8 yrs in FL I think this will be my Welcome to Florida moment...definitely not used to this.

• Content Count:  9,038

That tree certainly didn't look too healthy.  There aren't a lot of leaves on it.  It simply just looks like a matter of time.

The city won't cut it up for you, but they will haul it away when you cut it up and put it in your front yard to be picked up.  Try to tie the branches together in bundles - it makes it easier for "The Claw" to pick them up, and the tree guys won't leave as much behind.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Just leave it there.  It'll be easier to build a tree fort on.

• Content Count:  4,642

Get a chainsaw and get to work!  You could probably sell the wood if anyone around you needs big logs.

Yeah, I called the City, it's a no go.  Was told to call the insurance...ugh.

I'm pretty sure we'll just have to get some chainsaws, some friends and uncles so they can cut it up, we'll cook some food, have some beer...Hispanics always find a reason to throw a party  ;D.

PS: Now I'm paranoid about the other trees around the house...

• Content Count:  2,277

Before you start cutting I would check into your trash pickup and make sure they will take it if you put it out.  If I put that out in front of my house they would never take it.  Back when I used to live in Clearwater they would take a dead body if you put it by the road.

• Content Count:  19,229

Be very careful with the chainsaws... the way the tree is laying (or not even laying on the ground completely), it is definitely going to shift big time with each major cut.

I'm not sure their is a real safe way to cut it... other than maybe going to point farthest to the left (in your pic.. ie the top of the tree) and cutting small pieces off at a time.  You may want to get a winch (sp?) and pull the base off the stump to get it down to the ground so that you aren't in as much danger of a shift.

Good luck!

Archived