• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2008 Big East Preview: Is George Selvie Overrated?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

If I remember correctly he was being blocked and was off balance falling to his right when Race came around the end so at that point anybody could stiff armed Selvie...not to mention didnt Selvie get banged up in that game?

He did get injured in that game, and on that play Selvie was **** near horizontal with the field. Its not hard to stiff arm somebody that is already falling, i just don't see why people make a big deal about it.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,457
  • Days Won:  0

Selvie - Big George - is if anything underrated.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

A player is not overrated if they force you to gameplan for them, by doubling, chipping, etc.  George does that. 

Now, can George get better?  Absolutely.  he needs to work on a couple different moves in addition to the speed rush.  A spin move, swim move, power rush would help him out by keeping the OT guessing.  I expect him to get better, but agree with MikeG that his stats may be lower.

• Content Count:  1,482
  • Days Won:  1

I agree. Those numbers will be very very hard to match. As long as he makes some big plays, and disrupts the backfield, it will be a successful season for him

• Content Count:  4,016

Interesting, you see George says that in the off-season he bumped into Ray Rice who told Selvie that the week prior to the game they spent the whole week scheming to stop Selvie.

It's not going to happen that George gets 2 sacks every game unless Buie and the weakside step it up.  George can't get 14.5 and Buie get 1.5 and then we talk about George being overrated.  Until the weakside steps up, and Buie, or Bedford, or both can put serious consistent pressure on the QB, then teams won't be able to scheme against George.

You see, the people that matter, coaching staffs, are the one that know George Selvie is a force to reckon with.  Take the Syracuse game, George didn't have a sack but had two mind blowing tackles for losses where he just ran around the tackle before he even got completely out of his stance and tackled the RB (who each time was running away from him) for two yard losses.  After the game Coach Robinson said he couldn't truly appreciate Selvie's speed until he saw it in the game.  He said we did everything we could to scheme against him and he still manages to make two key plays behind the line-of-scrimmage.

George is all he can be, it's a few others on the D that need to step up so George can maintain his production and he doesn't spend each game rushing around triple teams, and seeing QB's roll away from him, and RB's run away.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Interesting, you see George says that in the off-season he bumped into Ray Rice who told Selvie that the week prior to the game they spent the whole week scheming to stop Selvie.

It's not going to happen that George gets 2 sacks every game unless Buie and the weakside step it up.  George can't get 14.5 and Buie get 1.5 and then we talk about George being overrated.  Until the weakside steps up, and Buie, or Bedford, or both can put serious consistent pressure on the QB, then teams won't be able to scheme against George.

You see, the people that matter, coaching staffs, are the one that know George Selvie is a force to reckon with.  Take the Syracuse game, George didn't have a sack but had two mind blowing tackles for losses where he just ran around the tackle before he even got completely out of his stance and tackled the RB (who each time was running away from him) for two yard losses.  After the game Coach Robinson said he couldn't truly appreciate Selvie's speed until he saw it in the game.  He said we did everything we could to scheme against him and he still manages to make two key plays behind the line-of-scrimmage.

George is all he can be, it's a few others on the D that need to step up so George can maintain his production and he doesn't spend each game rushing around triple teams, and seeing QB's roll away from him, and RB's run away.

This is going to be the key for the defense as a whole.  The other 3 guys upfront are going to decide how effective our defense will be. 

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

no he is not overrated

he earned and deserves all  praise received to date

• Content Count:  4,738

to be fair-- I would not be surprised if Selvie's stats were half what they were last season. Those numbers are just stratospheric.

I don't think so.  Even with the teams game planning around him, he is a year stronger, and I think the entire line will be better.  He will dominate.

• Content Count:  4,016

to be fair-- I would not be surprised if Selvie's stats were half what they were last season. Those numbers are just stratospheric.

I don't think so.  Even with the teams game planning around him, he is a year stronger, and I think the entire line will be better.  He will dominate.

Yeah but he broke like a 20 year old record for TFL.  I see him getting maybe 8-11 sacks, and 18-22 TFL, but my hope is we see Buie with around 6-8 sacks, and maybe 9-12 TFL.  Last year along the DL it was Selvie or bust for TFL or sacks.  We get more production across the board this team becomes even better and Selvie dominates again.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,493
  • Days Won:  13

I am in the minority, but I agree Selvie is overrated. The kid is a good player, but if you look at his Stats he put up some huge numbers vs Elon, FAU, UNC, and UCF. I think he had 7 sacks vs Elon and UNC alone. 

Archived