• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2008 Big East Preview: Is George Selvie Overrated?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Open your media guide and look him up and his contributions last year.  His numbers were great.

Once we got into BE play, the coaches on other teams started running plays away from him and doubleteaming him.  Of course his production will go down.  That being said, if he is being doubleteamed, it allows others to get into the limelight.

I remember after SAPP had his breakout year for the bucs, his production dropped off big time.  But they doubleteamed him nearly every play.  And other teams stopped running up the middle when they were playing us.  Other Players on the D suddently saw their stats increase, but Warren's went down.  No surprise there - that is how it works. 

Looking at his stats for last year, It is obvious that Selvie is a key part of our defense and teams will do anything they can to avoid him (or suffer the consequences)......

He is not overated.  He is a great, physical player.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

to be fair-- I would not be surprised if Selvie's stats were half what they were last season. Those numbers are just stratospheric.

I don't think so.  Even with the teams game planning around him, he is a year stronger, and I think the entire line will be better.  He will dominate.

Yeah but he broke like a 20 year old record for TFL.  I see him getting maybe 8-11 sacks, and 18-22 TFL, but my hope is we see Buie with around 6-8 sacks, and maybe 9-12 TFL.  Last year along the DL it was Selvie or bust for TFL or sacks.  We get more production across the board this team becomes even better and Selvie dominates again.

Harris has his share of TFL as well.

• Content Count:  3,403

I am in the minority, but I agree Selvie is overrated. The kid is a good player, but if you look at his Stats he put up some huge numbers vs Elon, FAU, UNC, and UCF. I think he had 7 sacks vs Elon and UNC alone. 

He also had huge TFL numbers.  Every team in the nation plays cupcakes, btw.  We had a relatively tough schedule and Selvie led the nation for much of the year in sacks and blew away the rest in TFL.  That despite double teams and a few injuries that he played through (starting with FAU game).

• Content Count:  5,241

Im willin to bet he'll have at least a 10 sack season again this year. A lotta change in Oline in the big east will help that out.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,651
  • Days Won:  29

I am in the minority, but I agree Selvie is overrated. The kid is a good player, but if you look at his Stats he put up some huge numbers vs Elon, FAU, UNC, and UCF. I think he had 7 sacks vs Elon and UNC alone. 

You need to watch the games instead of opening stat pages.

• Content Count:  1,387
  • Days Won:  1

You need to watch the games instead of opening stat pages.

He's too busy on UCF's site!

• Content Count:  1,387
  • Days Won:  1

no he is not overrated

he earned and deserves all  praise received to date

Whats this?! Something intelligent from smazza!  :withstupid

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Selvie's production fell off during league play because of the back injury and because he was garnering a lot more attention by the time we started facing BE opponents.  OCs were game-planning around and away from him.  The other D-linemen will benefit from that, this coming season.

Bingo!  I think the back injury was pretty significant.  It seemed like he was sitting an awful lot against some big time opponents.  Obviously USF played it way down to keep the opponents worrying about him, and he was still pretty effective.

Archived