• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

3rd rd. Kevin Smith $$$ vs. 5th rd. Trae Williams $$$

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

You don't make it three years (let alone four years) in the NFL if you can't play.  Smith got the best deal.  More money guaranteed up front.  If he can play, he renegotiates a year earlier.  And has a better chance of playing his way into the coveted third contract negotiation process that all pro football players wish to see when they still got game.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,239
  • Days Won:  0

Typically, once you get past the 2nd round, contracts don't differ as much.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,023
  • Days Won:  469

Kevin Smith got the better deal.  Like KL said the signing bonuses are only money guaranteed.

Think of all the YouTube videos he can make with that kind of scratch.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Kevin Smith got the better deal.  Like KL said the signing bonuses are only money guaranteed.

He can get a few Lbs of that killer Canada bud and youtube about his dreams to his hearts desire.

• Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

He might even have enough money to change the battery on his fire detector.

• Content Count:  98

No argument from me.  I just thought it was funny that a "historical" player got a deal that's not far off from what Trae got.

Kevin's guaranteed $$$$ (signing bonus) was more than 4 times LARGER than what Trae got and was guaranteed.

Maybe your definition of "not far off" is different than myself & others who have posted in this thread.

I would expect that a THIRD ROUND player would get substantially more than a FIFTH ROUND player, especially one slated to start immediately.

In light of those conditions, I'm not overwhelmed by Smith's bonus compared to Trae's, no.  I wouldn't kick $450,000 out of bed, mind you, but I would think a "historical" player and a starting RB would draw a bit more than a mid-5th round backup CB.  Heck, the article itself hinted at the paltry nature of the contract for the situation Smith is going into.

Again, Smith is smart to get paid big up front.  He's going to get crushed at the NFL level and will get worn down fast playing for the crappy Lions and may not last 3 years.  The Packers defense is not the Rice defense.

Funny, I remember you saying something about how Andre Hall was better?

I said before, the vision Kevin has is a very rare thing to have.  Emmitt Smith was not fast either. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,604
  • Days Won:  424

No argument from me.  I just thought it was funny that a "historical" player got a deal that's not far off from what Trae got.

Kevin's guaranteed $$$$ (signing bonus) was more than 4 times LARGER than what Trae got and was guaranteed.

Maybe your definition of "not far off" is different than myself & others who have posted in this thread.

I would expect that a THIRD ROUND player would get substantially more than a FIFTH ROUND player, especially one slated to start immediately.

In light of those conditions, I'm not overwhelmed by Smith's bonus compared to Trae's, no.  I wouldn't kick $450,000 out of bed, mind you, but I would think a "historical" player and a starting RB would draw a bit more than a mid-5th round backup CB.  Heck, the article itself hinted at the paltry nature of the contract for the situation Smith is going into.

Again, Smith is smart to get paid big up front.  He's going to get crushed at the NFL level and will get worn down fast playing for the crappy Lions and may not last 3 years.  The Packers defense is not the Rice defense.

And .........??

I said before, the vision Kevin has is a very rare thing to have.  Emmitt Smith was not fast either.

I guess it must suck for him that 6 other rb's must have had that rare vision also since they were drafted ahead of him ....

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Really?  How, since you've only been registered under the name Gridiron God since January 7 of this year...

http://thebullspen.com/index.php?action=profile;u=3742

Unless... wait, can it really be?  PHIL, come back to visit us at long last?  The prodigal son returned just in time to see his team raped for a fourth time?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Of course...only the SIGNING BONUSES are guaranteed (which I'm sure you knew that, right?)...but Smith's contract is laced with a lot of performance incentives...which is par for the course for any Drew Rosenhaus client.

Unless his incentives are for bench warming and breathing he wont see much of it.

• Content Count:  2,239

Most analysts think Smith will start to start the season.

Archived