• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Top 5 football games you have attended.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  815
  • Days Won:  0

k here's the long post with explanations, for those of you that are that bored at work:

5 - Sun Bowl - my first USF bowl game ~the experience and trip were pretty awesome...even if I was stuck with just Shoop...the Bulls Pen gathering also was a huge highlight of the trip

4 - Rutgers '06 - we lost but it was an awesom game that came down the end; I had a blast talking to people from Rutgers and helping to keep the peace between my group and rutgers fans

3 - WV '07 - the atmosphere was the best part, throw in how big of a win it was, was disappointed I couldn't be on the field after

2 - Louisville '03/'05 - 03: I know a lot of people put WV over this game but Louisville stands out more for me, 2 overtimes to decide it, and that was the night (first and only, shoop correct me if I'm wrong) that I learned how far of a fall it is from the stands onto the field. I almost passed out in the middle of a mob and everyone chanting USF as we left through the tunnels was just awesome (before storming the field would get you arrested) and win #21 in the home streak...05: big win, #9 in the nation, expected a close game and we came out on fire, players came to the stands to celebrate with us after the win when we couldn't go on the field, first game ever on ESPNU

1 - Auburn - no questions asked...I could write a short novel on everything that made that such an amazing game/day/trip. Tiger Walk, War Eagle, First tailgate I got drunk at, "I wanna F*ing cry and I can't", "got video", going up for push ups and not getting dropped over the railing onto concrete, etc etc etc

*please note I have a horrible memory sometimes so some games from earlier years I don't remember as well. Honorable mention would have to go to the season opener '03 which was my first USF game as a student. I remember things that happened at games better than I remember what games they happened at.

I know we're sticking to college but i have to mention professional fast: the Bucs/Packers games I went to with my bro (weekend of my birthday) back when I loved Brett Favre and NY Jets vs Miami Dolphins, MNF, October 2004...my first ever Jets game...I started tearing up as I entered the meadowlands that night, they spanked the Dolphins, and Wayne Chrebet (my fav football player) scored his only touchdown of the season

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  866

5 - Bowling Green '02.  A Top 25 win to finish up a brilliant 9-2 season.  This is when we knew we were going to be a nationally recognized team someday very soon.  And we could still rush the field without consequences!  Hooray!  Plus it ended up being the last game for Marquel, DRube, and a host of others that were the builders for what we see today.  If only ECU had beaten Cincinnati the following week, we would have spent Christmas in Hawaii too!

4 - Louisville '05.  That second half was sponsored by Rick James, as it was a celebration bitches.  When we ran back the opening 2nd half kickoff, it just turned into a party.  Welcome to the Big East.  Might be higher on the list if not for the tazers. 

3 - Auburn '07.  I knew we were good, we knew we were good, but now the rest of the world knew we were good.  To get it done on hallowed SEC ground was the best billboard we could ever buy.  And we didn't even bring our A game!

3 - WVU '07.  In meetings and at staff events, a lot of us wondered what it would be like to be on the field and look up at a Ray Jay that was packed from top to bottom.  It was hard to picture when we were having trouble getting 25,000 butts in seats for good opponents, and wondering about all those people with season tickets that weren't coming.  When you have a credential, you walk out on the field through the same Southwest tunnel the players do.  Walking out there 5 minutes before kickoff, I teared up just a little.  I knew the players would see what I saw, and I knew there was no way we were going to lose that night.  Our first defensive stand, I could actually feel the ground vibrate under my feet.  I can't even describe what that was like. 

1 - WVU '06.  This one was even better because nobody saw it coming.  I went up 3 days before, and felt the full arrogance of WVU fans the entire time.  I didn't really trash talk, because I didn't see how we could win that game.  They were a Top 10 team fighting for a BCS bid on their home field.  They had White, Slaton, RichRod, and the best spread attack anywhere.  So I figured I'd enjoy the afternoon, have many beverages in the parking lot, watch a little football, and hope we put up a good fight to give us some momentum for the bowl game.  But somehow, it ended up being a gorgeous day that wasn't too cold.  Somehow, our defense decided to fly all over the field for four quarters.  Somehow, Selvie picked up that fumble and ran it in for a gimme touchdown.  Somehow, Amarri got free in the end zone.  And somehow, because he got his brains kicked in all day by our front seven, White made a horrible throw to Trae Williams so that I could finally believe we were going to win.  Even then, we still needed a first down, and only then could we exhale.  The silence in that stadium was deafening.  I got on the field after the game, and just hugged everyone I saw.  Plus experience Morgantown while wearing a USF jacket after that game... well let's just say it was an interesting rest of the weekend. 

If you make one road trip in your life, make it Morgantown just so you can see what happens when football means too much to a community.  It's a combination of scary and pathetic that can't be described... and I can't wait to go back.  I just hope more of my Bull brethren join us this time.  There might be riot police involved if we win, and I'm not kidding. 

• Content Count:  2,461

5. Morehead State 1997 - my first Bulls game (I was a Jr in HS)

4. Bowling Green 2002 - My last game attended when I was at USF

3. Pitt 2006 - I will remember the MG-Houdini act for the rest of my life

2. Auburn 2007 - I was speachless, I could have driven all the way home that night, don't think I slept at all

1. WVU 2007 - I looked up just before kick-off and got goose bumps (as I am doing now, typing this). From I-AA when I was there (except for my last year) to ranked, sold out, big time. chills. I was insane that night. Had a minor personal battle going on, but nothing could take away from the excitement of the game, and the win. It truly was a hot dog environment.

Well, thats what you get when your playing the Yankees. lol

WVHDcrosssection2.jpg

• Content Count:  1,457

Bowling Green

Cincy - 1st at Ray Jay (overtime)

Syracuse - 1st at Ray Jay

UCF - 1st at Ray Jay

L'Ville 1st at Ray Jay

no particular order.

• Content Count:  5,241

1. USF-Auburn: You had to be there!

2. WVU-USF: you probably were there, and understand it was amazing!

3. Car Care bowl: 1st bowl victory, Gachette destroys ECU QB

4. ucf-USF 07: after a lot of smack talk, we let the scoreboard talk.

5. everything else runs together after those four Maybe FSU-Miami 03 because it was the first Big college game I went to

• Content Count:  412

5- UCF 07- An exclamation point on our season up to that point. I'm sure it didn't hurt our computer rankings one bit. Also, one game away from putting the final nail in the USF-UCF "rivalry" coffin.

4- Meineke Car Care (Thanks Crambone)- First Bowl Game Ever!!! Also Charlotte is an awsome town with great Irish bars.

3- Louisville 05- Just so amazing because they were supposed to be powerhouses, and we made them look like a Pop Warner team.

2- WVU 07- Always a huge game, and we got the W. Seeing our first sellout in school history, beating a nationally ranked team, and getting ranked because of it would be my #1 if it weren't for...

1- Auburn, without question. An 11 year old team beat a team that had been playing for over a century, in front of 80,000+. Before the game, with the band doing the AU across the field, and the eagle flying in, I texted my mom, saying "wow, all this tradition is pretty impressive." When we first took the lead, she texted back saying "How impressive is it now?" When Hester, Jr. caught that ball, I couldn't believe it. I cried in the stands. I honestly feel like the only thing that will top that game will be the NC game, though a BCS bowl may come close.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

5 - Meineke Car Care Bowl 2005 - I know it sucked, but it was our first bowl game and I can look back and say "I was there!"

4 - UCF 2007 - I agree with everyone above in that this was the most fun I have ever had at a game.  Before the kickoff, we were almost outnumbered by Golden Showers in our section.  By the end of the third quarter, they had all but left.  We owe them one final beatdown (a shutout would be ideal) this year to prove that they do not belong in the same conversation with us, let alone the same field.

3 - @ Auburn 2007 - No question that without this win, USF would not have gotten to #2 in the standings.  This game showed the college football world that USF was no longer a team that would "upset" other teams.

2 - Louisville 2005 - Our first big win, and the crowd was pumped.  I was in the Studen Section and it was crazy the entire time.  My 2 buddies and I downed probably 30 beers between us and we had a nice cup stack going.  I can distinctly remember my friend's wife saying "You know that USF has no chance against UL, right?" before the game.  It was awesome seeing her face the next day.

1 - WVU 2007 - This was by far the best sports atmosphere I have ever been a part of.  Again, I got into the Student Section (with my wife) and it was nuts the entire time.  I would not trade ANY win for this one, including the Auburn win.  This game was the key to us winning the Big East, but we had to choke in 3 games to prevent that.

Honorable Mention - @ Miami 2005 - Again, not a good game because of the outcome, but the Miami fans were pretty nice and now that the Orange Bowl is gone, no one will ever get the chance to step in it ever again.  This is more of a "I was there when..." kind of feeling.

• Content Count:  119

First off, I must say what a great thread! Now, here are my rankings:

5) Homecoming game '97: Can't remember who we played, but that is where I got my Dr. Seuss hat that I still wear today

4) Louisville '05: They were coming in as we are this year: the darkhorse to win the title.

3) West Virgina '07: How the community finally woke up and realized what could be with our school. Ten years ago, my first job was selling football tix for the department. I went up and down Fowler Ave to sell them, and most business owners thought it was a joke. I had the foresight to tell them, to invest in USF NOW, before we get too big and the price/recognition go through the roof.

2) Auburn '07: Having 80,000+ fans cheering and our guys quietly coming on to the field, showing focus and composure and pulling off an upset that put us on the map!

1) Kentucky Wesleyan '97: You never forget your first time! Side note: Two years ago at Rutgers, they showed the oldest living fan of RU. I hope one day USF shows me and says "He was even at the first game ever! It is probably the same hat he wore back then"!

• Content Count:  1,378

1. KY Wes 97 - How can this game not be #1?  We waited years for that day.

2. Auburn 07 - Punked an elite SEC team. 

3. WVU 07 - WOW a sellout in RJS for USF, beating a #5 team and seeing the city finally get behind USF

4. Pitt 01 - Our first major upset.  It was great seeing the faces on all those fans, saying who is USF?  Little did they know, a few years later we

would be in their conference, whooping their A$$ every year.

3 Way tie for 5-

5. SDSU 99 - Our first 1-A game, beautiful city, perfect weather, and also started my annual football away game pilgrimage tradition with my dad and brother.  We have meeting up for 1 or 2 road games a year ever since.  PS- We all live in different states.

5. OU 02 - Best all around game day experience yet, friendliest home fans, great campus, great traditions.  Fantastic halftime show honoring Lee Roy Selmon, who they think of as a legend.  The cheers he received, you would think he just graduated the year before, not 30 years prior.

5. UL 05 - Laughable game, hate UL, always have going back to the Denny Crum BBall days. Knew the game was going to be ours from the start as UL's mascot tripped, fell and ate grass as he ran out onto the field with the team at the beginning of the game. 

• Content Count:  1,378

I have two more from pre-Div-1 days: I was at a game in 98 or 99 when USF won the game on a missed FG at the last second(was it WKU?). And I was also at the game where Bill Gramatica hit the 65 yard field goal against Austin Peay.

Andy the Bull, I believe that was against Illinois State.  And it was only a 24 or so yarder, most thought for sure their guy would nail it.  Not sure of the year, most likely 99 though.  And only because it matters, it was a 63 yarder, his brother Martin holds the NCAA record (without a tee) with a 65 yarder!! ;o)

Archived