• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Sarasoa H-T: Ford is on track for a breakout year, experts say

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

You guys didn't listen to Leavitt's comments carefully enough.  Yes, depth at OL will always be a concern, but he also said that most teams in the country only go 6 to 7 deep.  Same as us. 

Size, strength, talent and experience, this is the best OL we have had here ever.  By far.

• Content Count:  1,457
  • Days Won:  0

Alan Dell, observed from past i-net research, is a supporter of the Bulls.  He usually gets it right on and when he says the Mike is a breakout player - one of 8 this year - he is right on.

Mike has 1000 + this year and maybe 1500 if the scenario goes well.

Bulls 10-3 and take it to the house.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,578
  • Days Won:  29

We are set at the Interior !

Tackle is the concern, which is why we could have 2 True Frosh playing this season.

Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  431

depth will always be a huge issue with us at OL.  we need more big guys to come in.  if we can land one or two JUCO OL then i will feel a lot better.  however, we keep missing out on them!!!  frustration!!!

I imagine that is why they started the "Big Man Challenge." I think they are on the right track with developing these camps for skill players, linemen, and now, according to Scout, kickers. If they can get these guys coming in young and returning to the camps consecutive years, they will have a much better shot at landing them.

• Content Count:  4,016

O-line woes continue.  Not a good think if you want to be an offensive powerhouse.

I think 84 makes a good point.  Depth wise we're only going about 7 deep.  Not ideal in anyone's world but providing we don't run into injury concerns on the OL early in the season like we did in 2007 then we should be fine.  For now we're only deep to about 7 guys on the OL and Leavitt would like to rectify that and hopefully find 1-2 guys that could fill in at OT quickly.  I don't think we should be alarmed right now, just more so hope that the youngsters start stepping up.  If they do things will take care of themselves.

BTW, this OL is the best returning OL we've had since the 2002 season, and 2005 seasons....so albeit we're not particularly deep we do return an impressive set of starting OL.  If those guys can stay healthy through the season then that will be huge for this season.

• Content Count:  624
  • Days Won:  1

Ben &%#)@!% Williams

Great story, thanks for the FAU win, good ConfUSA back.

I feel the same about him as I did Pat Julmiste "please let him graduate" so he is not an option!!

Ben &%#)@!% Williams

I feel the same about him as I did Pat Julmiste "please let him graduate" so he is not an option!!

Oh come on, Ben does the little things that make him a decent complimentary back.  He's definitely not a featured back, and the staff obviously realizes that, but until other guys do everything Ben can do on the field he will remain an option.  He doesn't lose games for us, and is a real workhorse.  I think the pat analogy is a huge stretch.  Pat started by necessity but had so many problems with the passing game that there were games he was a complete liability.  Ben's never been a liability, rather a servicable back to help transition until the better talent develops.

Don't forget Taylor is a very nice player, and I do think Kelly will make a name for himself.  A little disappointed that Aston Samuels will not be available because it limits our offensive speed in the backfield.  But with Grothe, Ford, Taylor, Williams, and Kelly we will have a nice stable of backs.

• Content Count:  3,403

Ben &%#)@!% Williams

Oh come on, Ben does the little things that make him a decent complimentary back.  He's definitely not a featured back, and the staff obviously realizes that, but until other guys do everything Ben can do on the field he will remain an option.  He doesn't lose games for us, and is a real workhorse.  I think the pat analogy is a huge stretch.  Pat started by necessity but had so many problems with the passing game that there were games he was a complete liability.  Ben's never been a liability, rather a servicable back to help transition until the better talent develops.

Don't forget Taylor is a very nice player, and I do think Kelly will make a name for himself.  A little disappointed that Aston Samuels will not be available because it limits our offensive speed in the backfield.  But with Grothe, Ford, Taylor, Williams, and Kelly we will have a nice stable of backs.

yeah, Ben Williams is probably still the best blocker we have at RB and a great pass catcher.  That's why I like 2-back sets with Ford, or that modified wing formation we did in short-yardage situations.  I don't like Ben Williams running the ball very often, but you have to leave it as an option if he's in there by himself, I guess.

Archived