• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

This is just to much.... Tampa 2nd best sports city in USA. LOL

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  815
  • Days Won:  0

gotta agree that Tampa's not number 2. Love the city, even if I don't always love the local fans. I'd say there's more fair weather fans in tampa and less of a core of diehards that you have in other cities...that being said Tampa doesn't have the sports history many of the other cities being mentioned have (at least not at the professional or collegiate level). That history is what helps to build your diehards and gets stadiums filled even through the "bad" years.

I'll agree with considering St Pete teams part of "Tampa Sports" but not with the Gators. Just because Tampa's the closest major city to UF doesn't mean they're a part of our sports scene...especially not when you have other legitimate collegiate programs closer to the area including not only USF but also UT.

As for Boston being the #1 city I don't disagree right now...though I think there are a number of cities that could be top 5 and you could make arguments for most to be #1. In addition to Boston's recent success at the professional level they're also home to a number of universities with excellent sports programs and regional events for various sports. The Boston Marathon, Head of the Charles, and Beanpot Tournament are only a handful of annual sports events in the city. If you've ever been to any of these events or even in the city when they're going on it's pretty amazing.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Wouldn't Jacksonville be the closest major city to UF?

Tampa fans are bad, but there are a lot worse out there.

While the Bucs have rollercoastered the fans have stayed.

• Content Count:  1,985

Trust me, I do not want Tampa associated with the Gators.  Since before football I complained to no end to the Trib that USF is the home school and should get the banner respect the second largest university in the state (at least at the time) being in TAMPA should receive.  I was simply agreeing with the author, that UF is not out of range for sports, that is all.

I still go back to those saying NY is great, maybe, but your football teams do not even play in your state!!!!!  And how long does it take to go from long island to the meadowlands, about as long as the drive up 75 to Gainesville.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,455
  • Days Won:  13

Trust me, I do not want Tampa associated with the Gators.  Since before football I complained to no end to the Trib that USF is the home school and should get the banner respect the second largest university in the state (at least at the time) being in TAMPA should receive.  I was simply agreeing with the author, that UF is not out of range for sports, that is all.

I still go back to those saying NY is great, maybe, but your football teams do not even play in your state!!!!!  And how long does it take to go from long island to the meadowlands, about as long as the drive up 75 to Gainesville.

Tampa Rays dont even play in Tampa.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,517
  • Days Won:  422

Tampa Rays

There's no such entity ....

• Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

They play in NJ but you understand they are New York teams though, right?  If they werent they would be called the New Jersey Giants.  The JEts are located in Hempstead, New York.  There is no room for a stadium.  Its a lot easier to throw a stadium in these other hick cities but not The Big Apple.  That why a house that goes for 100K down here goes for $400K up there.  Supply and Demand my friends.  The demand to live in NY is 1000X that than in Tampa and most places.   

Seems you never been to New York because a drive from Long Island to the Meadowlands can vary from if you lived in Brooklyn or Queens (both on LI) it would take 20 minutes, if you lived in Nassau County where i lived, 30 minutes, if you lived in Suffolk county it varies from 40 minutes to 2 hours, it is a long island and not many people in Suffolk, the Hamptons or Montauk point are not coming out for Jets/Giants games, nor does the fanbase need them to. 

New York is the #1 sports city in the world and its not even close.  Who cares about these Johnny come lately cities.  NY will always be there and always win championships consistently, thats why every commissioner of each sport wants their championship to have a New york team in it. 

Its logic:

If the biggest and best city is in out championship, THEN we will make more money.  how simple is that???

BYW, I was just in New York for the 4th and you can be in a bar 20 minutes outside of Shea or Yankee stadium and if a game is on everyone is decked out in their gear. 

Tampa you can go to Fergs and that about it. 

Tampa #2??? This guy has a job writing?  So dumb.

BYW, I was just in New York for the 4th and you can be in a bar 20 minutes outside of Shea or Yankee stadium and if a game is on everyone is decked out in their gear. 

Go back to my original post,  I did indeed say that Tampa is not the best FAN city, probably should be in the bottom 5.  We suck as fans.

I like your thought, that since the team has an office in the city, then the fact that they play in Jersey is not a factor.  I guess by that logic, the Yankees are also a Tampa team since they have Corporate offices here and the owners live here. 

I have never called the Rays the Tampa Rays, and I hate Tampa Bay anything, Tampa Bay is not a city, it is a body of water.  You do not here of the San Fran Bay Giants etc. 

Go back to my original post,  I did indeed say that Tampa is not the best FAN city, probably should be in the bottom 5.  We suck as fans.

I like your thought, that since the team has an office in the city, then the fact that they play in Jersey is not a factor.  I guess by that logic, the Yankees are also a Tampa team since they have Corporate offices here and the owners live here. 

I have never called the Rays the Tampa Rays, and I hate Tampa Bay anything, Tampa Bay is not a city, it is a body of water.  You do not here of the San Fran Bay Giants etc. 

Its not a factor they play in New Jersey.  The stadium happens to be there and they sign a lease to them.  The Jets used to play in Shea Stadium, until their lease was up.  They are about to break ground to build a stadium in Manhattan for the teams but with the billions it will cost and the difficulty in building a project like this on a bedrock island that is all of about 10 miles wide and 35 miles long and has about 6 million people living on it, can be tough.  I'll tell you one thing.  If you drive there there wont be a stupid sign that opposes the stadium on everyones front porch.

To say New does not have a football team, when they have TWO is wrong. 

Hempstead isnt in the city anyway, its on Long Island.  Tampa has a lot to do with the Yankees, so much so the Tampa Bay Rays will never play on this side.  New York affect everything. 

Its not a factor they play in New Jersey.  The stadium happens to be there and they sign a lease to them.  The Jets used to play in Shea Stadium, until their lease was up.  They are about to break ground to build a stadium in Manhattan for the teams but with the billions it will cost and the difficulty in building a project like this on a bedrock island that is all of about 10 miles wide and 35 miles long and has about 6 million people living on it, can be tough.  I'll tell you one thing.  If you drive there there wont be a stupid sign that opposes the stadium on everyones front porch.

To say New does not have a football team, when they have TWO is wrong. 

Hempstead isnt in the city anyway, its on Long Island.   Tampa has a lot to do with the Yankees, so much so the Tampa Bay Rays will never play on this side.  New York affect everything. 

Don't be so sure of that.  I think the pull back by the Rays on the new stadium is a quiet deal to bring them over to Tampa, build a stadium on the I-75 corridor, pick up Tampa, Bradenton, Sarasota, Polk County as easy drives. 

And I guess by your logic NY has three baseball teams, the Mets, the Yankess, and the Dodgers, I mean, they were NY and just because they no longer play in NY>.. Dude, just bustin' your chops.. you yankees get so fired up.. haha..

Archived