• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How would you use our RBs?

Guest BasketBull.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  919
  • Days Won:  0

I think the difference this year will be Ford's condition.  He will be football-ready this year by all accounts.  If so, he would get 20-25 carries a game if I was calling the plays.  I'd find a way to get Aston Samuels the ball a few times a game too, whether at RB or out in the slot, reverses, whatever.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

we will see same inconsistent offense

i find it funny we have same chat year after year

do you really expect something different?  WHY?

• Content Count:  291

Id say give Ford-BBQ Starting backs, and Taylor-Samuels KR duty.

• Content Count:  12,293

our problem last year was that when Ford was in defenses could easily sniff out the run.  when BBQ was in, they could sniff out the pass or stuff that lame option-handoff.  putting 2 backs in there--- one who can run well and one who can block and catch well, will add an element of unpredictability that our playcalling lacked last year.

thats actually a pretty good point

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

we will see same inconsistent offense

i find it funny we have same chat year after year

do you really expect something different?  WHY?

Year after year?

The offense changed dramatically between PJ and GrothE

The running game has a legitimate shot at improving.  It almost did last year.  Towards the end of the season (post the 3 game skid) Ford had a lot more carries and our running game was a little better.

We should enter with Ford as the definite starter.  As long as he holds on to the ball we'll be vastly improved.

Guest BasketBull.

Okay, I just finished watching the Louisville game, which was before the Pitt game.

I just don't get it. Against Louisville, Ford was the main RB and he did excellently. Then against Pitt, the offense went back to the normal routine of interchangeable backs.

I know Pitt was better than Louisville, but do you change everything from game to game, especially when it works?

Did Ford get hurt before the Pitt game this past season? I do recall his father passing away at some point. Maybe that was what changed the lineup.

My point here is that we may be going back to the old 3-headed RB again.  ???

• Content Count:  1,757

Ford needs to get at least 15-20 touches a game. period.

BBQ should be used as a fullback, and get his hits running out in the flats for a few receptions.

Taylor is clearly the intermediary between the two... he can run better than BBQ but block better than Ford.  when Ford isn't in the game, Taylor should be.  when BBQ isn't in the game, Taylor should be.  he should be that interchanging piece.

Samuels is clearly our speed-back.  he can break big runs when the defense is caught out of position.

i'd personally like to see more I-form, using combinations of Ford/BBQ/Taylor, as well as the power-I with all three.

i'd like to see more 2-back shotgun sets as well.

our problem last year was that when Ford was in defenses could easily sniff out the run.  when BBQ was in, they could sniff out the pass or stuff that lame option-handoff.  putting 2 backs in there--- one who can run well and one who can block and catch well, will add an element of unpredictability that our playcalling lacked last year.

i think we have fantastic talent in the backfield.  Gregory needs to stop sitting on the playbook and find ways to get them the ball that defenses don't have 100 hours of film on.

Well said.

Samuels speed opens up some intersting plays once the running game is established.  He's definitely got the motor to make the direct snap from shotgun a viable play. 

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

It is real simple: Give it to the truck 15-25 times and run it down other teams throughts.  Dare teams to stop us like Oregon dared us to stop Stewart.  Then when they put nine in the box we can play action pass for TDs just like they did to us.  Then throw in Taylor, Williams, Samuels, et al. whenever Ford gets tired.  We will put up 32 ppg!

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

It is real simple: Give it to the truck 15-25 times and run it down other teams throughts.  Dare teams to stop us like Oregon dared us to stop Stewart.  Then when they put nine in the box we can play action pass for TDs just like they did to us.  Then throw in Taylor, Williams, Samuels, et al. whenever Ford gets tired.  We will put up 32 ppg!

Well we averaged 34.7 ppg last year.  So you want the offense to be less effective?  ;)

If our offense can lower the T/Os we will be better offensively than last year.  Even with the 3-headed RB.

• Content Count:  919

In conference play last year USF averaged 34.3 PPG - which was best in the league and the exact same as WV.  I think most people in the nation would agree that WV has a pretty good offense.  When will people start to realize that USF's O aint bad either, and should be even better this year.

Archived