• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How would you use our RBs?

Guest BasketBull.

Guest BasketBull.

1) Ford is big but he needs that initial gap and then he forces his way in there, carrying the pile along. His weakness: He likes to cough up the ball. And I think he doesn't block that well.

2) Taylor has that quick burst and hits the hole pretty fast. I'd like to see him get more carries. But he was so new to the system last year, and then he got hurt. He also coughs up the ball.

3) BBQ is the man. Do you remember the block during the Pitt game where the took out the blitzing DB and allowed Matt to throw a 39-yarder to Amari (I think it was Amari)? BBQ blocks very well, and holds on to the ball. However, he doesn't put fear into the defense and can't really get the running game going by himself (just my take, of course).

We really need to establish the run if we are to win the Big East, and it's all with that first and 10. If we can't get 5 yards, it's really going to hurt us as the season goes on.

Pitt was a fine example of our need for a running game. We needed to run out the clock, but just couldn't get that first-down on the ground and ended up punting quite a bit. Thank goodness our defense came through in a big way.

Q: Will we see the 3-headed RB, again?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I bet you see more than 3 heads on this running corp.  Whoever practices best...

I'm guessing Ford and Williams most the carries, but watch for someone other than taylor to step up.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

We will see the 3-headed backfield unless someone proves adept at running and blocking.  I expect Ford to be in football shape this year and Taylor to be used more also.

• Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

I'd like to see a Ford-Taylor combo...kind of like Arkansas did with McFadden and Jones. If they can fix their fumble problems, I dont see why that could not happen.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

My guess is that this is the first year you will actually see the spread run the way it supposed to be run.  For the first time ever we will have an experienced big time running back, experienced big time receivers and an experienced big time play maiking QB all combined with expereince on the line.  You will see all the RBs, but expect to see Ford as the feature back.  If you like what Andre Hall did, expect to see the same from the RB position except with more power and better finishing speed, but combine that with more of what Grothe has done the last 2 seasons.  I would expect Taylor and Samuels to be change of pace backs with Williams, Taylor and Samuels picking up the pass catching duties that Hall had for us.  I would also expect to see more situational plays with our backfield.  By that I mean I would expect to see more of the 3 back sts that we ran in some games on certain down and distance situations.  I also expect to see more 2 back sets than we have.

Because we now have so many proven weapons on offense the opposing defense won't be able to stack 8 in the box like they did when Andre was our only defense and they won't be able to just key on Grothe. 

I truly expect this to be unlike any offensive performance we have had since at least 2002.  This is probably a top 10 offense this year.  We haven't had so many experienced and talented pieces to the offense ever.  This is even the first time since about 2003 that we have more than 1 proven upper classman returning at WR since 2003. 

• Content Count:  146
  • Days Won:  0

I would bet a lot will be decided on how our OL performs.  If our OL becomes dominant and can open holes then I see more of Ford in a inside zone/read type running game.  If not, then I can see more of an outside or off tackle speed type running game utilizing a larger proportion of Taylor etc.

• Content Count:  12,293

i would put them a few yards behind our OL and just to the side of our QB and give them the ball every once in a while.

all joking aside, we need to give mike ford the ball until his legs fall off.  he is a NFL type running back and can really beat down the opposing defense.  great running backs get better as the game goes along and thats what mike ford will do.  but when we only let him touch it once every 15 snaps of course he would be more prone to fumbling.

ben williams is a solid blocker but you dont get much from up on the ground, specially against top level competition.

jamar taylor is good change of pace guy but Mike ford is our bread and butter.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  815

I think Ford needs to be our go-to guy...down the middle, 3rd down, 1st and goal situations. He could be a potent threat on 1st downs as well...he averaged almost 5 yards a carry last season and I think if he saw the ball more he'd be less apt to fumble. As for his blocking abilities I don't remember how good/bad they are unless I were to look at tapes of the games.

Obviously still use Williams, Samuel, Taylor but I'd like to see us establish a main guy at rb, I could even live with 2 main guys. I dislike the 3 back system we've been using and Grothe's a great runner but it'd be nice to have a back be our best rusher on the team. It'd open up our offense and give us more weapons.

A few already said how our offensive line is playing is going to be key in terms of who we use and how we use them, but if none of the running backs see the field enough to build momentum we won't establish a solid running game. Doesn't Andre Hall have a year of eligibility left??? sorry done dreaming :)

Please bear with me on anything technical...my very patient, very kind friends are slowly but surely helping me learn the more technical aspects of the game I somehow managed to miss in my 2 years in the locker room (I was a trainer/manager before you get any wierd ideas).

Guest BasketBull.

I just watched the DVD of the 2007 Louisville game -well, the first half.

This is how I want to see us offensively, especially the running game. Ford was a monster on the ground, and Matt was left to do his own thing as a QB and not a RB.

We need holes for the running game. Period.

• Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

Ford needs to get at least 15-20 touches a game. period.

BBQ should be used as a fullback, and get his hits running out in the flats for a few receptions.

Taylor is clearly the intermediary between the two... he can run better than BBQ but block better than Ford.  when Ford isn't in the game, Taylor should be.  when BBQ isn't in the game, Taylor should be.  he should be that interchanging piece.

Samuels is clearly our speed-back.  he can break big runs when the defense is caught out of position.

i'd personally like to see more I-form, using combinations of Ford/BBQ/Taylor, as well as the power-I with all three.

i'd like to see more 2-back shotgun sets as well.

our problem last year was that when Ford was in defenses could easily sniff out the run.  when BBQ was in, they could sniff out the pass or stuff that lame option-handoff.  putting 2 backs in there--- one who can run well and one who can block and catch well, will add an element of unpredictability that our playcalling lacked last year.

i think we have fantastic talent in the backfield.  Gregory needs to stop sitting on the playbook and find ways to get them the ball that defenses don't have 100 hours of film on.

Archived