• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

RUTGERS report

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

Teel Named to Watch List for Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award Text Size:   

RU Senior QB Makes First Cut for the Nation’s Top Senior QB Honor

Posted on 6/14/2008 8:45:00 AM  PRINT THIS PAGE  E-MAIL THIS PAGE  RSS

BALTIMORE, Md. – Rutgers senior quarterback Mike Teel (Oakland, N.J.) has made the first cut to be considered for the 2008 Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award, presented by Transamerica Insurance and Investment Group, a leading provider of innovative business and personal financial services. Teel is one of 26 senior quarterbacks from around the nation up for the award.

Teel started every game for the second-straight season in 2007 despite playing most of the year with injuries on his thumb and hand. He ended the season with 20 touchdown passes, the most in Rutgers single-season history and finished second in RU single-season history in passing yardage (3,147). Teel's 203 completions ranked fourth in RU single-season history as he totaled six, 300-yard passing games.

Teel directed an offense that was the first in NCAA history to have a 3,000-yard passer, 2,000-yard rusher and two 1,000-yard receivers in the same season

The Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award is presented annually to the nation's top senior collegiate quarterback, by the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Educational Foundation, Inc.  This prestigious award bears the name of who many refer to as the finest quarterback to ever play the game of football. Established in 1987, the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award has previously honored 20 outstanding young men.

The award takes into consideration his impressive collegiate career to this point, as well as his off-the-field values of good character, citizenship, scholastic achievement, and strong leadership qualities. 

The 2008 winner will be presented with the award on December 5th at the Tremont Grand Meeting & Banquet Facility, in downtown Baltimore, Maryland.

The Transamerica Insurance and Investment Group, a leading provider of innovative business and personal financial services, is our major corporate and presenting sponsor for the award and organization.

The namesake of the award has a storied history which has earned him the recognition of being the Greatest Quarterback to ever play in the NFL. An 18-year veteran of the NFL, Unitas played his collegiate career at the University of Louisville (1951-1954), passing for 3007 yards and 27 TDs. Unitas, who wore #19 as a professional, had his # 16 collegiate uniform retired at Louisville, the lone number retired by the Cardinals. Johnny Unitas began his 18-year pro career with the Baltimore Colts in 1958 and played there until joining the San Diego Chargers for his final season. His career passing figures are mind boggling. He completed 2,830-of-5,186 passes for 40,239 yards and 290 TDs during his NFL career. Among his many records is one that may stand forever, throwing a touchdown pass in 47 consecutive games.

Unitas was recently selected as the top quarterback of all-time by the Pro Football Hall of Fame 36 member selection committee.

As part of a partnership with CN8, The Comcast Network, the announcement of the winner and the award presentation will be carried live exclusively on "Out of Bounds" at 7 p.m. Throughout the fall, "Out of Bounds" has provided a regular look at the award contenders, including game highlights and statistical updates on the "Golden Arm Award Watch List" presented by Transamerica.

The special "Out of Bounds" coverage culminates with the live award winner announcement as well as interviews and reports from the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Awards.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pic3.jpg

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

where is the arrogance coming from

they beat us two straight years

Yeah and they beat us by a combined 5 pts in those games, games where we led for long stretches too, and both games came down to the final whistle.  No one said they don't deserve props for those wins, but 'wanting to beat them down bad', and recognizing we have a legit shot to do so is not 'arrogance', or ignorance.  Ignorance is suggesting that this game isn't in question today.

BTW, I love the pics of RU's new stadium.  I want them to build and expand to help the Big East as a whole.  It looks like that in 4 years WVU, Pitt, USF, UL, and RU will be playing in 60k+ seat stadiums.  That will help the image, profile, and revenue overall of the conference.

Rutgers-Fresno State to Kickoff at 4 p.m. on Labor Day Text Size:   

Posted on 6/6/2008 4:40:34 PM  PRINT THIS PAGE  E-MAIL THIS PAGE  RSS

PISCATAWAY, N.J. – ESPN has announced that the start time for Rutgers-Fresno State has been moved to 4 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 1. The Labor Day contest was originally scheduled to kickoff at 4:30 p.m.

With the opener on ESPN, the Scarlet Knights will play their first two games of the season on ESPN for the first time in school history. The first three games of the 2008 campaign will be nationally televised, including the Sept. 20 game at Navy on the CBS College Sports Network. Kickoff is set for 3:30 p.m. in Annapolis.

Additional television information will be announced as the 2008 season progresses, usually 12 days prior to kickoff.

Rutgers receives verbal from Connecticut WR

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

BY TOM LUICCI

Star-Ledger Staff

Mark Harrison said he didn't expect to make a college decision yesterday after driving from his home in Stratford, Conn., to Rutgers for an unofficial visit. But the solidly built wide receiver said "everything just clicked" after seeing the school and visiting with the Scarlet Knights' coaching staff.

The 6-3, 229-pounder from Bunnell High School, who had an invitation to Florida's camp and flirted with the idea of visiting USC, became the 11th football player to give Rutgers a verbal commitment for 2009.

Advertisement

"I wanted to see the school, feel it out, meet with the coaches and make sure it was right for me," Harrison said shortly after his visit. "It just felt right to me after I did all of that."

Harrison isn't a ranked recruit, though that may partly be because rivals.com lists him as a tight end. Harrison said the Rutgers coaches told him they want to keep him at wide receiver, where he plays in high school out of a spread offense.

"I love the offense at Rutgers," he said. "They had two 1,000-yard wide receivers last year. That's big if you play the position."

Players can make their commitments official the first Wednesday in February during national letter of intent signing day. Verbal commitments are not binding.

• Content Count:  13

Not here it start trouble, but it is getting scary in NJ, the recruiting class is getting so good. Picked up 3 more last night including a 4* DB from Delaware and a TE who was leaning toward UF. Just hoping I am not dreaming this.

• Content Count:  6,815
  • Days Won:  22

Rutgers class is bursting out and it is great to see because it will raise the bar for USF and the others. We cant have ONE team being the dominating force we need at least three- four that will be nationally competitive year in , year out.

I think the BE is becoming  avery tough well rounded league. Only Syracuse loks to be stuck in neutral.

• Content Count:  4,016

Not here it start trouble, but it is getting scary in NJ, the recruiting class is getting so good. Picked up 3 more last night including a 4* DB from Delaware and a TE who was leaning toward UF. Just hoping I am not dreaming this.

No offense, and I really like the class RU is assembling, but I would rather take a 3 star and in some cases 2 star corner from UF, then a four star from Delaware.  That's always been a contention with these ranking websites, and there are many fine examples to prove it, that they try to hard to geographically distribute these **** stars, and over-saturate the market with guys that are somewhat bloated in ranking based solely on the schools they choose (their bloating more so then skill, i.e. we've all see numerous kids verbal to ND, or UF and jump to four stars and never do d--k in college, and a kid verbal to RU as 3 star or 4 star and either stagnate or drop in ranking and kill it in college).

Nice class!  Oh, and Malcolm Bush did not turn down ND, he was just getting looked at by them.  But with a five star, and two four star TE's on roster, and Golic's son committed, I don't think ND is heavy on to many TE's right now.

Good class though, and sorry about the upcoming beat down in Tampa in November. ;)

• Content Count:  13

I agree about *'s and areas of the country. Schiano has always stocked up on under the radar gems from FLA that have turned into starters or stars (willie Foster, Eric Foster, William Beckford, Ryan Hart, Quintero Frierson, Tim Brown, etc.). Many RU fans are concerned a bit that we are having a great class without an FLA kid commiting. The flip side is that Michigan, OK, ND, Ohio St, USC, and especially Penn St, BC and Syracuse have consistently taken the top NJ kids with great success. ND is still doing well and always will given the strength of the Catholic school programs in the state. However, RU has 6 of the top 20 kids, and talk is we will have 2 more by end of weekend. Not one so far to PSU, SU or BC.

PS Hope to break that FLA shutout, Antwan Lowery visits next week. Would look great next to his brother Antonio in Scarlet.

No offense, and I really like the class RU is assembling, but I would rather take a 3 star and in some cases 2 star corner from UF, then a four star from Delaware.  That's always been a contention with these ranking websites, and there are many fine examples to prove it, that they try to hard to geographically distribute these **** stars, and over-saturate the market with guys that are somewhat bloated in ranking based solely on the schools they choose (their bloating more so then skill, i.e. we've all see numerous kids verbal to ND, or UF and jump to four stars and never do d--k in college, and a kid verbal to RU as 3 star or 4 star and either stagnate or drop in ranking and kill it in college).

Nice class!  Oh, and Malcolm Bush did not turn down ND, he was just getting looked at by them.  But with a five star, and two four star TE's on roster, and Golic's son committed, I don't think ND is heavy on to many TE's right now.

Good class though, and sorry about the upcoming beat down in Tampa in November. ;)

schiano and staff will be more than preparred and usf isntbeating down rutgers anytime soon

it will be a close game

Archived