• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

RUTGERS report

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,072
  • Days Won:  172

MILESTONES 

> On May 2,1866 in the first intercollegiate athletic event in Rutgers history, the Rutgers baseball team falls to the Princeton team, 40-2.

> Men's Basketball took to the court for the first time in the 1906-07 season

> In 1913 Foster Sanford, Rutgers' first "real" football coach and a member of the National Football Hall of Fame, takes the Rutgers team in hand. He was famed for his innovations, including the "hurdle play," in which a lightweight member of the track team, suited up in pants with leather loops, carried the ball while being hurled over the line by two halfbacks.

> 1919 Paul Robeson, the only black in his class and the third in Rutgers' history, gives the valedictorian address at commencement. Hailed as perhaps the greatest college football player of his time, he had been hazed so unmercifully his freshman year that he lost several fingernails because his own teammates purposely stomped his hands during pileups.

> In 1932 The College Avenue Gymnasium is built on the site of the first intercollegiate football game. Walter Spence, star of Rutgers' national-power swimming team, wins a medal in the Olympics, repeating the feat of teammate George Kojac, who had won a medal in the 1928 Olympics.

> In 1938, Rutgers Stadium is dedicated.

> 1950 - The RU baseball team reaches the College World Series.

> 1955 The men's lacrosse team won the Laurie Cox Division Championship, a national division championship, which it shared with Hofstra.

> Sept. 27 1969, Rutgers defeats Princeton, 29-0, in the Centennial football game.

> In 1976 It was a banner year for Rutgers Athletics with both football and men's basketball teams going undefeated and the basketball team reaching the NCAA Final Four.

> 1977 - The Rutgers Athletic Center opens

> In 1978 the football team earns its first-ever bowl invitation, playing Arizona State in the Garden State Bowl.

> In 1982, the women's basketball team wins the AIAW National Championship with a thrilling 83-77 victory over Texas.

> 1987 - The Hale Center football complex is completed.

> In 1990, after a 17-2-2 regular season and an Atlantic 10 Championship, the men's soccer team defeated Adelphi, Dartmouth and Evansville in succession to reach the National Championship game.

> In 1991, Rutgers defeats Boston College in the first-ever BIG EAST football game.

> 1994 - Rutgers Stadium iis renovated/expanded to hold 42,000

> 1995 - Rutgers joins the BIG EAST conference in all sports.

> In 1997, Men's Soccer became the first BIG EAST Champion in school history after defeating St. John’s in the Championship Match of the BIG EAST Tournament.

> In 2000, C. Vivian Stringer became the only coach, male or female, to take three different programs to the Final Four. Rutgers advanced to its first-ever NCAA Final Four with a stunning 59-51 win over the No. 1 seeded Georgia Bulldogs in the West Region Championship Game.

> 2004 - The men;s basketball team falls to Michigan in the NIT fianls before a raucous crowd at Madison Square Garden.

> 2005 - The men's track team captures its first-ever BIG EAST Outdoor Championship

> 2005 - Head Coach Greg Schiano guides the football team to a 7-5 record and an appearance in the Insight Bowl.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

where is the arrogance coming from

they beat us two straight years

They who?!?  If you mean the ref's then yes, you are correct. Those zebras have stuck it to us two years in a row. 

STOP MAKING EXCUSES

RU BEAT USF  ABND IF USF HAS YOUR ATTITUDE THEY WILL LOSE THE THIRD TIME

Not excuses, call it a reality check!  If USF is not ready mentally for the REF's to be crooked in this game they will never beat RU.  10 point swings due to absolutely terrible, flagrantly obvious rigged calls SHOULD BE EXPECTED!  It's happend 2 years in a row now.  D-line should fully expect to not draw any holding calls either, no matter how dirty it gets in the trenches.  It's a fact of life for USF playing against RU in a biased Big East.  They will always hate us for being from Florida, not to mention still being the "new kids". 

where is the arrogance coming from

they beat us two straight years

They who?!?  If you mean the ref's then yes, you are correct. Those zebras have stuck it to us two years in a row. 

STOP MAKING EXCUSES

RU BEAT USF  ABND IF USF HAS YOUR ATTITUDE THEY WILL LOSE THE THIRD TIME

Not excuses, call it a reality check!  If USF is not ready mentally for the REF's to be crooked in this game they will never beat RU.  10 point swings due to absolutely terrible, flagrantly obvious rigged calls SHOULD BE EXPECTED!  It's happend 2 years in a row now.  D-line should fully expect to not draw any holding calls either, no matter how dirty it gets in the trenches.  It's a fact of life for USF playing against RU in a biased Big East.  They will always hate us for being from Florida, not to mention still being the "new kids". 

maybe your reality

not the rest of the world

Greene Named to Bronko Nagurski Trophy Watch List Text Size:   

Free Safety is on the Watch List for the Best Defensive Player in College Football

Posted on 5/12/2008 4:36:11 PM  PRINT THIS PAGE  E-MAIL THIS PAGE  RSS

DALLAS, Texas – The Football Writers Association of America has announced the Watch List for the 2008 Bronko Nagurski Trophy and Rutgers free safety Courtney Greene (New Rochelle, N.Y.) has been named to the list. The Bronko Nagurski Trophy is awarded to the best defensive player in college football and sponsored by the Charlotte Touchdown Club.

Greene is the third Scarlet Knight to be named to a Watch List for one of college football's premier awards in 2008, joining sophomore left tackle Anthony Davis (Piscataway, N.J.) on the Outland Trophy Watch List and junior center Ryan Blaszczyk (Medford Lakes, N.J.) on the Rimington Award Watch List.

Greene, a two-time All-BIG EAST selection, has started all 38 games he has played in. He ranks eighth in Rutgers history in career tackles with 299 after leading the Scarlet Knights in tackles last season with 101.

The FWAA All-America Committee selects the Bronko Nagurski Trophy winner from the association's 11-man All-America defensive team in November. The watch list was developed by the FWAA All-America committee with the help of the schools and conferences.

The Charlotte Touchdown Club will hold the 2008 banquet on Sunday, Dec. 7, at the Westin Hotel in Charlotte. For the eighth straight season, the FWAA will also pick a Bronko Nagurski Defensive Player of the Week beginning with games on Aug. 30 and running through the middle of November.

The Bronko Nagurski Trophy has been presented since 1993 and is awarded in memory of the legendary Nagurski, a former All-America lineman at Minnesota in 1927-29 and a star for professional football's Chicago Bears in the 1930s.

The Scarlet Knights open the 2008 season Monday, Sept. 1 on Labor Day vs. Fresno State. The game will be televised to a national audience on ESPN.

Second Annual Greg Schiano Charity Golf Classic Set for June 3 Text Size:   

Fiddler’s Elbow Country Club to Host Charity Event

Posted on 5/13/2008 12:21:16 PM  PRINT THIS PAGE  E-MAIL THIS PAGE  RSS

PISCATAWAY, N.J. – The second annual Greg Schiano Charity Golf Classic will be held Tuesday, June 3 at Fiddler's Elbow Country Club in Bedminster Township, New Jersey. Last year's inaugural event raised $50,000.

The charity classic will benefit Athletes in Action and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

Registration fees are $375 per person or $1,500 for a foursome. All players receive a Rutgers Nike Golf Bag, lunch, round of golf, cocktail reception, dinner, prizes and a photograph with Greg Schiano.

For more information on how to participate in the Greg Schiano Charity Golf Classic, please call 732-326-5245. DOWNLOAD BROCHURE/APPLICATION

Recruit starts to recruit

Rutgers QB attempts to lure star players

Saturday, May 10, 2008

BY COLIN STEPHENSON

Star-Ledger Staff

Tom Savage already seems to have it all.

The 6-3, 231-pound quarterback has a big arm, the ability to read defenses, tons of press clippings and has given a verbal commitment to play football at Rutgers starting in the fall of 2009.

Advertisement

So what was Savage doing on the Rutgers Stadium field Thursday night, at the Big Time Football Showcase, surrounded by hundreds of high school football players still hoping to earn a college scholarship of their own?

"I just love football, and especially coming back to Rutgers -- it's going to be my home turf someday, so I just want to come back here and throw the ball around and just have fun," Savage said. "Football's fun for me.

"And I get to talk to a couple of recruits that (Rutgers is) looking at," he added, admitting his role as a part-time recruiter for his college of choice. "I told the players, 'Do whatever's best for you, but I would love to have you here.'"

Wide receiver Aaron Hayward of Penns Grove, linebacker Carlo Calabrese of Verona, and sophomore running back Corey Brown, Savage's teammate at Cardinal O'Hara High in Springfield, Pa., were among the quarterback's targets on Thursday at an event where college coaches weren't allowed to be in the building.

The invitation-only event drew 270 of the top players from the northeast -- mostly juniors, with a few sophomores and one freshman -- who came to run 40-yard dashes, do the bench press and take part in one-on-one and seven-on-seven drills in order to put their measurables into a database that college coaches can easily access.

Savage, one of the top prospects in the combine, didn't need to run the 40 (he has already been clocked at 4.74 back in January), instead spending his time giving interviews, showing off his pinpoint passing accuracy and making friends with fellow prep stars.

Ray Lucas, the former Rutgers star and Jets quarterback, got to work with the QBs and got his first look at Savage.

"Very smooth," Lucas said. "Big arm. Smart. Very smart for a kid coming out of high school. I'm sure he's taught well."

• Content Count:  176
  • Days Won:  0

Smazza, not to give you a hard time but the last two times vs. rutgers we really beat our self, usf just has far more talent, we did the same thing at Conn. I expect us to beat rutgers big this year.Two keys Ford, and new de beckford has to live up to clippings.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Smazza, not to give you a hard time but the last two times vs. rutgers we really beat our self, usf just has far more talent, we did the same thing at Conn. I expect us to beat rutgers big this year.Two keys Ford, and new de beckford has to live up to clippings.

We didn't beat ourselves at UConn.  UConn ran the ball up our throat during the horrendous weather conditions and we tried to keep the passing game going.  We made poor decisions in the first half diring the rain.  I don't consider that beating ourselves. I consider that UConn coming out with a better gameplan and a little luck.

We didn't let UConn win the first half.  They beat us.

The whole we beat ourselves line is a total cop out.  We should have won but didn't is more acurate. We beat ourselves? No. UConn beat us.

bullmartin- i agree with your sentiment

we beat ourselves or they beat us

IT IS STILL A LOSS

does it make it better if we beat ourselves?  i dont think so

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

We didn't beat ourselves at UConn.  UConn ran the ball up our throat during the horrendous weather conditions and we tried to keep the passing game going.  We made poor decisions in the first half diring the rain.  I don't consider that beating ourselves. I consider that UConn coming out with a better gameplan and a little luck.

We didn't let UConn win the first half.  They beat us.

The whole we beat ourselves line is a total cop out.  We should have won but didn't is more acurate. We beat ourselves? No. UConn beat us.

I never understand why so many people on here seem to take pride in trying to point out that we didn't beat ourselves in certain games.  As smazza correctly makes the point, a loss is a loss.

As far as the UCONN game goes, it sure would be nice if there was some accuracy in your statement while you are getting on the team's case.  First of all, having sat through the rain, I can tell you that it only rained during the first two possesions.  Check the play by play ( I did), we ran the ball on 9 of our first 11 plays.  We didn't start throwing the ball until we fell behind.  The reality is we fell behind because we missed 2 field goals.  Grothe's INT for the TD (The play where Amarri got hurt) was on a tipped ball.

I very rarely get caught caught up in a they beat us vs we beat oursleves conversation, but if there was ever a game we beat ourselves I would definitely have to say that was the one.  2 missed field goals, Ced Hill wide open in the end zone frops a TD pass, Grothe throws n INT in the end zone when he could have easily walked in or lobbed a TD to a wide open receiver instead he throws it righ to the defense, a holding penalty takes away another TD, we block a punt in the end zone and the guy tries to pick it up instead of falling on it for a TD.  Putting the smallest guy on the team, who hasn't played a down in a year and a half and have him try to power up the middle?    I can't think of any other possibe ways we could have handed the game to them.

Archived