• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

RUTGERS report

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

i didnt see you in el paso tweetybird

Yes I chose to skip the bowl game and the $2K plus it would have cost me and the then pregnant wife to travel to El Paso.   

And did I see you at home games 1 through 6 last year?  Or how about every home game since 98?     

I like the tweetybird name... that's a good one Sm-ass.  It's pretty ironic that I wore my bright yellow shirt today! 

$2k to go to El Paso?  We're you looking into chartering a personal jett?  You're excuse is lame. 

My wife and I got there and back for $750 (food, lodging, and game tickets included).

Wow, you got a great deal.  When I was looking at plane tickets around 600+ per person round trip.  Add food, hotel, and time and 2K was right on the money.

Didn't fly and shared 1 hotelroom with 5 people.  We went economic style.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  209
  • Days Won:  0

Rutgers is in for it when they visit Ray Jay this year.  No more Ray Rice, Brian Leonard is history... it's ON.

Rutgers is going to be anally violated so bad, they'll think they just won The Dating Game with Jay Bergman.

you are wrong if you think they will not have runners to step in and pound the ball

Looking at Rutgers last two recruiting classes... they've brought in exactly two running backs, both speed backs.  They did bring in a fullback, Jourdan Brooks, who looks to be a bruiser.

USF has proven it can handle speedy backs... it's the up-the-gut-pound-your-face-in backs we have problems with, like Ray Rice.

If Rutgers is trying to become a speed team like WVU, we'll pound the living snot out of them.

For the record RU has averaged 1 RB per class since Ray Rice enter RU.  Young is the guy with the most experience to take over, but Mason Robinson did well last year as Rice backup when Young went down.  Robinson is one of the all-time rushing leaders in NJ history, but the NJ all-time leader (Joe Martinec-sp 6'2 215) in now in RU's back field along with Brooks, Robinson and Young.  Also, coming in is the 100 meter champ Rashidi White who will probably red-shirt, but gives them another highly regarded RB.

• Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

Rutgers expands recruiting reach

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

BY TOM LUICCI

Star-Ledger Staff

As a youngster growing up in New York City, Andre Civil said the only real college football presence that he was aware of was Penn State. Occasionally he heard about Syracuse, but never about Rutgers.

That began to change a few years ago, said the defensive end from Sheepshead Bay High School in Brooklyn.

Advertisement

"All of a sudden you started hearing a lot about Rutgers and not all that much about Penn State," Civil said.

Rutgers' growing recruiting influence in two former Penn State strongholds -- New York City and eastern Pennsylvania -- continued yesterday and could as well today. Civil, a 6-3, 240-pounder, gave Rutgers a verbal commitment yesterday, with the likelihood that tight end Paul Carrezola of Neshaminy (Pa.) High School will do the same today when he announces his college decision at a press conference.

"Rutgers is definitely expanding its recruiting base, especially in New York," said recruiting expert Mike Farrell of Rivals.com. "It helps when you've gotten guys like Brian Leonard and Ray Rice. You can definitely use that. Eastern Pennsylvania has always been Penn State country -- until a few years ago. Now Rutgers is going in there and getting players that Penn State might normally get. That's impressive."

If the 6-3, 250-pound Carrezola chooses Rutgers over Pittsburgh, North Carolina State and Iowa today, it will mean four of the five players who have given head coach Greg Schiano commitments for 2009 are from either eastern Pennsylvania or New York City.

The Knights previously received commitments from highly rated quarterback Tom Savage of Cardinal O'Hara High School in Springfield, Pa. and from 6-6, 300-pound offensive lineman Jamal Wilson of South Shore High School in Brooklyn.

"The Rutgers coaches are really getting into New York now," said Civil. "I see that and I hear it from guys I talk to."

When Schiano originally outlined his recruiting plans for the "State of Rutgers," he said it included New Jersey, Florida and destinations within a two- to three-hour drive in any direction from Piscataway. But until recently, New Jersey and Florida had been supplying the Knights with most of their talent.

Since the beginning of 2007, however, Rutgers has signed offensive linemen Caleb Ruch of Quakertown, Pa., and Richard Muldrow of York, Pa. Ruch, a redshirt freshman, is listed as the starter at right guard for the fall.

The recent New York talent haul has included defensive tackle Scott Vallone of Central Islip and offensive lineman Devon Watkis of Coram. Both will be among the incoming freshmen this fall.

In addition, wide receiver Keith Stroud enrolled at Rutgers in January after spending a year at a prep school, but played his high school football at Fort Hamilton High in Brooklyn.

"It's something the Rutgers coaches had to do because you can't win a national championship just with kids from New Jersey," said Farrell. "Rutgers has a geographical advantage in New York and eastern Pennsylvania and they're starting to utilize that advantage. New York, especially, should be an extension of New Jersey for them. Eastern Pennsylvania is different because Penn State has been so strong there for so long. But Rutgers is getting some good players from there now."

Civil, whose strengths are his quickness and athleticism, said he had offers from Georgia Tech, Clemson, Maryland, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Connecticut and Hofstra. Civil is among the 472 high school seniors (Savage is another) to be nominated to the 2009 U.S. Army All-American Bowl. Ninety will be chosen to play in the Jan. 3 game in San Antonio.

Tom Luicci may be reached at tluicci@starledger.com.

RU lands recruit, expects another

Union DE gives verbal; highly touted RB may commit tomorrow

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

BY TOM LUICCI

Star-Ledger Staff

Rutgers relied on a familiar connection in picking up its latest football commitment yesterday, and may be able to thank one of the most famous names the program has ever had -- Ray Rice -- if it lands a coveted four-star recruit tomorrow.

Mike Larrow, a 6-3 1/2, 250-pound defensive end from Union High School -- where former Rutgers star linebacker Brian Sheridan is the head coach -- became the sixth player to give head coach Greg Schiano a verbal commitment for 2009.

Advertisement

The next player to join him could be running back Desmond Scott of Hillside High School in Durham, N.C. Rated the nation's No. 2 all-purpose back by Rivals.com, Scott, a Rice-type back, is expected to choose Rutgers tomorrow at a press conference at his high school, according to Rivals.com recruiting expert Mike Farrell.

"From everything I've heard it's between Rutgers and West Virginia with Rutgers the leader now," Farrell said. "Nothing is in stone until he says it and then signs the letter of intent, but it looks good for Rutgers."

Farrell said the 5-9, 185-pound Scott is "very similar to Ray Rice."

"He's not quite as squat as Ray was, but he is probably a better pass receiver at this stage of his career than Ray was," Farrell said. "He's strong and runs low to the ground the way Ray did. He saw what a good fit Rice was at Rutgers."

Larrow, who joined QB Tom Savage, TE Paul Carrezola, DE Andre Civil, OL Jamal Wilson and DB Mohamed Sanu in the recruiting class of 2009, said Sheridan was delighted when he told him the news he had chosen Rutgers. Larrow's other finalists were Syracuse, South Florida, Oregon and Illinois.

"He said I was his first Division 1 recruit and that he'd never forget me," Larrow said.

Though Larrow plays end at Union High, he said Rutgers coaches have told him they would like to see him bulk up to make the move to tackle.

He said he made his decision now in part because Rutgers offered everything he was looking for -- but also because he wanted to get the recruiting process over with.

"I just wanted to end (the recruiting) and my mom wanted to end it, and I thought Rutgers was the best fit for me," Larrow said. "I didn't want to wait to take visits in September, because if you let the recruiting go that long it starts to get stressful. I wanted to do this now."

Farrell, who said he has seen Larrow at combines and on film, called him a player with intriguing potential.

"He needs to get a mean streak and play more physical," Farrell said. "But he has a body type that you can see him becoming a good player if he develops."

Rutgers Nabs Talented RB in Scott 

By Matt Alkire

Recruiting Analyst

Date: Jun 4, 2008

Over the past two seasons the Rutgers Scarlet Knights have lost two very talented running backs to the NFL, however the cupboard definitely isn’t bare as they have continued to recruit well at the position. On Wednesday they added another talented player to their backfield in Desmond Scott, a four-star running back from Durham, N.C.

• Content Count:  1,911

I'm glad that Ito is gone. That kid kicked the **** out of us.

Also, did anyone else notice the picture on the screen in the stadium rendering is against USF last year? Painful.

Rutgers Football to Participate in the Opening of the New Jersey Special Olympics Text Size:   

Schiano to Serve as Honorary Coach; Several RU Players to Join in the Ceremony

Posted on 6/6/2008 10:34:46 AM  PRINT THIS PAGE  E-MAIL THIS PAGE  RSS

PISCATAWAY, N.J. – Rutgers head football coach Greg Schiano and several members of the Scarlet Knight football team will participated in the opening ceremonies of the New Jersey Special Olympics Friday night at Sovereign Bank Arena in Trenton. There is no admission fee to any of the events at the Summer Games and the public is encouraged to come out and view the events.

Schiano will serve as the Honorary Coach of the Special Olympics. A Special Olympics Honorary Coach demonstrates a personality and leadership that signifies integrity and sportsmanship. As Honorary Coach, Special Olympics New Jersey found the ultimate New Jersey role model in Schiano who has brought national recognition to the Rutgers Football Program through his dynamic character as coach.

In his role, Schiano will be called upon to motivate and inspire the 16,000 Special Olympics athletes in New Jersey and promote the Special Olympics movement throughout the Garden State. He will also represent the thousands of coaches statewide who donate endless hours of time and energy to those athletes.

Pa. lineman commits to RU

Saturday, June 07, 2008

BY TOM LUICCI

Star-Ledger Staff

Rutgers continued its strong recruiting showing yesterday beyond New Jersey's borders -- and in Pennsylvania in particular -- when 6-2, 290-pound defensive lineman Jordan Hill of Steelton-Highspire (Pa.) High School became the eighth player to give football coach Greg Schiano a verbal commitment for the 2009 season.

Hill, who said he has been timed in 4.8 in the 40, is the third player from Pennsylvania to commit to Rutgers, joining QB Tom Savage of Cardinal O'Hara High and TE Paul Carrezola of Neshaminy High School. Six of the eight players to give Rutgers verbal commitments so far are from out of state.

Advertisement

Hill, whose high school is outside of Harrisburg, said he was also considering Pittsburgh, Penn State and Temple. Rutgers coaches have told him that he might play anywhere on the defensive line (he was a defensive end in high school last season) and that he may even get a look at fullback, which he plays in high school.

Rutgers gets verbal commitment from top running back for '09

Thursday, June 05, 2008

BY TOM LUICCI

Star-Ledger Staff

When Desmond Scott watched Rutgers play last season, he saw an offense that liked to do a little bit of everything -- which is how the unit became the first in NCAA history to have a 3,000-yard passer, a 2,000-yard rusher and two 1,000-yard receivers.

It was, he felt, the perfect fit for a running back whose strength is his versatility.

Advertisement

Already sold on the Knights' offensive philosophy, Scott said he became sold on the school as well during an unofficial visit to campus early last week. That's why he made an announcement yesterday that probably caused some quizzical looks in the heart of ACC country: Scott, rated the nation's No. 2 all-purpose back by Rivals.com, gave Rutgers a verbal commitment for the 2009 football season during a press conference at Hillside High School in Durham, N.C.

"I already liked the offense and the way they get everyone involved," Scott said. "Then when I toured the campus and met everyone, I felt like I belonged there. I was comfortable with everything I saw."

The 5-9, 185-pound Scott is listed as an all-purpose back, according to recruiting expert Mike Farrell of Rivals.com, because of his ability to run the ball, catch it out of the backfield and because he also lines up as a receiver in the slot -- as opposed to a workhorse running back who works mostly from handoffs or pitches.

"The Rutgers coaches have already told me they will use me all different ways -- out of the backfield and in the slot," said Scott. "I think I can do a lot of different things and they like to use their players that way."

Scott, rated the nation's No. 104 player overall by Rivals.com, has also excelled as a blocker, said Hillside assistant head coach and offensive coordinator Antonio King.

"He can be used any way you want to use him -- as a blocker, as a running back, as a receiver, in the slot," said King. "And he's only going to get better because of how hard he works at everything."

Scott is the seventh player to give Rutgers coach Greg Schiano a verbal commitment for 2009 -- the fifth from out of state.

"Looking at what they've done out of state, this is the best start Rutgers has ever had," Farrell said of a group that includes highly touted quarterback Tom Savage of Cardinal O'Hara High School in Springfield, Pa. "Will it be one of the best classes Rutgers has ever had when they're done? It's hard to say because New Jersey isn't as strong as it has been in the past. There aren't as many four-star players in the state. So we'll have to see. But what they've done out of state is impressive."

Scott, who chose Rutgers over West Virginia (with a slew of other schools a distant third), understands he will continue to be recruited, especially since he will be Hillside High's featured back this fall. And even though the Rutgers coaches won't be able to baby-sit him the way they would an in-state player when ACC and SEC schools continue to come calling, Scott told Rutgers fans not to worry.

"This is a firm commitment. It's solid," he said. "My family and I did a lot of work to make the decision. I can't wait to get to Rutgers next summer for the start of practice."

Tom Luicci may be reached

• Content Count:  209

Since Scott's commitment, RU has received commits from DT Jordan Hill (scout 3*) and C Mark Brazinski (4* rivals).  They have a total of 9 commits to date.

Archived