• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I Predicted Smith Was a Third Rounder...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  711
  • Days Won:  0

Seeing Chris Johnson go in the 1st round lays the rest the whole "CUSA competition" hurt his stock.  CJ had more than one big year at ECU and was already on many radars as an NFL prospect...especially with his size.  I still think K. Smith should've played his sr. year.  He had a great jr. year...if he did that again...he'd be a 1st rounder, next year.  He just got notification this year...and it wasn't until towards the end that any hype on him started.  2007 was his breakout season...do it again in 2008 and that would've been a major task and legitimize any skeptics.

I'm happy for him though...he went to a team that needs a RB, bad.  He'll get playing time, rather than riding the bench.  I hope the best for him and think he'll be great for them!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,239

I knew that Johnson and Forte would both go before him, but I had Johnson pegged at the beginning of the second round, and Forte at the beginning of the third round.  When Johnson got selected early, it moved up a lot of team's draft boards, and that's why Smith went as early in the third as he did.  Otherwise he would have likely gone at the end of the round.

**** dude.  Hanging around Bourbon Street a little long today?  Johnson's high pick did not change Smith's status.  Detroit wanted him and was planning on trading up(which they did) to get him.  I think it's a safe assumption to say that Detroit called up some teams in the later 2nd round to see if they were planning on picking Smith.  I think the Dolphins were going to, hence the trade.

Guest pascobull

Well if he can stay healthy behind that OL he will be good to go. Everyone on ESPN says he will start and looking at the roster he probably will. So I figure he does a minimum of 800 yards. 1000 is not too out of reach at all with improved line play. If I'm him I put up as many yards as I can and get the hell out of Detroit.

One good thing is they do have the best QB in that division. How sad is that?

• Content Count:  98

Smith will be the day one starter for the Lions, not sure if anyone outside of McFadden can say that. 

Kevin will do very well in Detroit if they can even give him half the holes the UCF OL did.  He will have a passing game for the first time in his career so I look for him to continue to get better.  He can make a lot of money if he has a good first year.  Kevin will get first round money and a new contract if he can get 1,000 yards his first two years, which I think is entirely possible.

Dude, what are you smoking?  Tatum Bell will probably be the starter, and only a half dozen rookie RBs have hit the 1000 yard mark in the past five years.  Detroit has a horrible o-line, and that is killing their backs.  Smith will see the field, and has a shot to earn the starting role, but he's going to get injured like every other back the Lions have had since Barry Sanders.  Worst management team in the NFL...

I won't argue the front office at Detroit but Tatum Bell will not be the starter for Detroit come game one, it will be Kevin Smith unless he gets injured.  Bell is smaller and slower than Kevin and Bell is not a three down back but a third down back at best.  Just look at his numbers with the Broncos and Lions.  If he could not become the starter in Denver where they did not have a solid back after Davis went down he won't beat out Smith.  The most attempts Bell ever had was 233 in 2006, 16 per game where he averaged 4.4 ypc.  Bell will most likley get about ten carries per game and Smith will be the powder first and second down back. 

If Smith is the starter, he most certainly will get over 1,000 yards and I am willing to bet you he does it well before the 16th game.  His vision is the best I have seen since Emmitt Smith.  Kevin proved he did not need wholes to get over 100 yards against Mississippi State.  He had no passing game to support him and the Oline was helpless against the 8 man front the Bulldogs ran, yet he still managed to grind out over 100 yards. He will do it in the NFL as well.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Wow, did Kevin Smith's name just get mentioned in the same sentence as Emmit Smith? Wow.

I haven't seen anyone mention Kevin Jones on here, but he is a pretty solid RB as well. I think he has battled injury over the last few years, but in the battle of the Kevin's, Jones will be the starter hands down if he is healthy.

While everyone is throwing out comparisons, I think it would be a great time for UCF fans to compare him to Barry Sanders, I mean, it is the Lions.  :ROFLMAO

We'll see how he does against defenses made up of bigger faster guys than he played against in C-USA.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I think Kevin Jones was cut.

• Content Count:  1,158

Jones was cut.  Couldn't stay healthy.  It will be between Bell, Calhoun and Smith for playing time. 

And for the record, healthy running back issues goes a lot further back.  Sanders was the only one that stayed healthy and that's because no one could hit him.  Injury problems go back to the Billy Sims days.  I miss Dexter Bussey.

Eric

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

LOL @ thinking Smith is gunna get over 1,000yds behind that line.  Detroit's line is in a word, terrible.   

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Smith will be the day one starter for the Lions, not sure if anyone outside of McFadden can say that. 

Kevin will do very well in Detroit if they can even give him half the holes the UCF OL did.  He will have a passing game for the first time in his career so I look for him to continue to get better.  He can make a lot of money if he has a good first year.  Kevin will get first round money and a new contract if he can get 1,000 yards his first two years, which I think is entirely possible.

Dude, what are you smoking?  Tatum Bell will probably be the starter, and only a half dozen rookie RBs have hit the 1000 yard mark in the past five years.  Detroit has a horrible o-line, and that is killing their backs.  Smith will see the field, and has a shot to earn the starting role, but he's going to get injured like every other back the Lions have had since Barry Sanders.  Worst management team in the NFL...

I won't argue the front office at Detroit but Tatum Bell will not be the starter for Detroit come game one, it will be Kevin Smith unless he gets injured.  Bell is smaller and slower than Kevin and Bell is not a three down back but a third down back at best.  Just look at his numbers with the Broncos and Lions.  If he could not become the starter in Denver where they did not have a solid back after Davis went down he won't beat out Smith.  The most attempts Bell ever had was 233 in 2006, 16 per game where he averaged 4.4 ypc.  Bell will most likley get about ten carries per game and Smith will be the powder first and second down back. 

If Smith is the starter, he most certainly will get over 1,000 yards and I am willing to bet you he does it well before the 16th game.  His vision is the best I have seen since Emmitt Smith.  Kevin proved he did not need wholes to get over 100 yards against Mississippi State.  He had no passing game to support him and the Oline was helpless against the 8 man front the Bulldogs ran, yet he still managed to grind out over 100 yards. He will do it in the NFL as well.

uhhh if you call rushing for 1000yds and over 900 on only 173 carries not being successful then yes bell was not successful in denver.

Tatum Bell's career stats

Year  Team              G      Att  Att/G  Yds  Avg  Yds/G  TD  Lng  1st  1st%  20+  40+  FUM

2007 Detroit Lions     5     44      8.8 182 4.1 36.4 1 24 7 15.9 1 0 1

2006 Denver Broncos 13 233 17.9 1,025 4.4 78.8 2 51 43 18.5 7 1 3

2005 Denver Broncos 15 173 11.5 921 5.3 61.4 8 68 41 23.7 10 3 3

2004 Denver Broncos 14 75 5.4 396 5.3 28.3 3 29 18 24.0 2 0 0

TOTAL 47 525 11.2 2,524 4.8 53.7 14 68 109 20.8 20 4 7

Edit:Also Bell is listed at 5'-11" 213lbs  Smith is a little over 6ft and around 215ish so hes not exactly dwarfing Bell with size either. 

Smith should start but you should really do a little research before you talk about players. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

Wow, did Kevin Smith's name just get mentioned in the same sentence as Emmit Smith? Wow.

Almost as embarrassing as him being mentioned in the same sentence as Barry Sanders late last year .....

Archived