• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Going to the Keys...Help

BiggTipp

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

The Wife and I are going to thr Florida Keys for 10 days in June and i was looking for some ideas as to what to see and do. We went in 2006 but only spent 3 days. we are staying in Marathon(camping) then down in Key West for 2 days. good fishing,snorkling,swimming,eating etc would all be appreciated. Thanks

• Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

I stayed on Marathon over thanksgiving.  Definitley go fishing, Catch some snapper, skin it or have someone skin it for you, and enjoy some grilling.

Key West has all the nightlife in the keys. Watch which bar you go into lots of "alternative lifestyle"

If you're going to have someone take you out to fish, go with Sea Dog charters next to the 7 mile bridge. I caught so much snapper we had to give some away. Caught some mackeral too.

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

The Wife and I are going to thr Florida Keys for 10 days in June and i was looking for some ideas as to what to see and do. We went in 2006 but only spent 3 days. we are staying in Marathon(camping) then down in Key West for 2 days. good fishing,snorkling,swimming,eating etc would all be appreciated. Thanks

We're going down in early July.  Try Two Friends Patio (near Mallory Square just north of Duval) or Blue Heaven (south of Duval near Olivia) for two awesome breakfast places.  I give the nod to Two Friends because of the potato nuggets... mmmmmmmm

• Content Count:  2,484

thanks guys

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Marathon has one of the best dockside restraunts I have ever eaten.  Little BBQ joint that has an old dude called Rocketman singing.  Not sure of the name, but just off US 1.

As far ast things to do, we make an annual trip at the start of lobster season and do some diving, fishing, and lobstering.  If you scuba dive definitly take some trips out, in June you can't lobster, but some of the best diving in America.  Key Largo has some decent night life activities as well.

If you make it down to Key West there are some pretty cool cultural things to do.  The Hemingway House and musuem is nice.  Mel Fischer's treasure musuem is worth the time.  Can't offer much more.  My days in the keys consist of catching lobster, cooking lobster, fishing, cooking fish, sleeping.

• Content Count:  242

I suggest barhopping on Duval when in key west...my favorite is Irish Kevin's - it is a sheer must.  The no name pub is a cool place on big pine - if you can find it (that's practically their slogan).  I am lucky enough to have a great friend and roommate with immediate family living on Big Pine so I get to go down whenever i want  :drinkup

• Content Count:  2,523

Many good suggestions above.  As someone who used to be an annual lobster killing machine for more years than I can count, I always go with the diving as it's really special down that way.  Spearfishing for Hog Snapper is a special love of mine down there.

It's been a few seasons since I've been back as we've given up on lobstering down there bc the restrictions are so bad these days, so I'm not sure if the places I'm going to mention are still there or not (been about 5 years) but here it goes.

On SugarLoaf Key, right off US 1 as you are heading towards Key West from Marathon, you'll see a place on the right called BAHAMA MAMA's.  If you see the Sugar Loaf Lodge (can't miss it), turn around, you missed it by about 5 minutes.  Great food and drinks there.

The tiki hut behind the Sugar Loaf Lodge is actually a fun place if you want a laid back type night where you will talk with folks who usually come down every year that time mixed with a number of locals who come over to enjoy the drinks.  You may even witness a low key wedding at sunset there as we did one year.  Plus, the stories you'll hear there are incredible bc those folks are usually "hiding" from something!  The little bar in the Lodge by the restaurant serves very strong drinks and gets a little crazy on the weekends as you never know who will show up.  Once again, interesting locals.

As for Key West, Mallory Square is always interesting if you haven't seen the sidewalk acts before.

Hogsbreath Saloon is a cool place just off Duval.

Get a few yardsticks and do the Ghost Tour if you want something different.  Haven't done it myself, but many i know have had fun drinking and listening to the lady.  Plus it shows you some cool, "local" spots along the way.

Have fun...

• Content Count:  4,139

Before you get there, (If you're driving) drop by "Robert Is Here" in Homestead and get some kent mangos. They're the best.

Go to Robbies MM77.5 and feed the tarpon...  It's quite a cool and cheap thing to do.

Go snorkling at Looe Key - one of my favorite places on earth. They have charters off of Summerland Key.

Go to the "No Name Pub" and get a beer (or two) Just off of Big Pine (Just past Doctor's Arm) and the Pizza is fantastic.

See the key deer, and shoot anyone who feeds, pets, or treats them unkindly.

and above all else YOU MUST HUNT FOR THE ELUSIVE HOGFISH GRILL AND HAVE A LOBSTER BLT. It's worth getting lost.

Have fun, and have one for me.  -mutt

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

my best times were spent there in 74-78

• Content Count:  4,738

my best times were spent there in 74-78

i love your one liners reminiscing the good ole days

Archived