• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Win the BE or else . . . . .

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

ESPN may lobby for USF to play in the inaugural St. Pete Bowl.

Per Brett's blog:

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/comments/if-usf-doesnt-win-big-east-st-pete-most-likely-bowl/

I know there is another thread on the bowl game but it deals with the venue itself as much as it deals with USF's chances of playing in the game.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

The Meineke Car Care Bowl has the third selection (not third place) and probably would opt for another team other than the Bulls since USF hasn’t sold more than a couple of thousand tickets in its past two bowl trips.

we haven't sold more than a couple of thousand tickets?

I usually take couple to mean two or three--- and we easily sold more than that

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

I think Brett is a bit off on this one.  If USF has an impressive season with high average attendance and comes in a close second in the BE I think they have a good shot at making the Gator Bowl.  Notre Dame wont be bowl eligible so you can exclude them.  It is possible the Gator Bowl would want to save its Notre Dame/BE pick for next year but if USF has high attendance and is ranked I think it would be hard for the Gator Bowl to pass that up.

Also USF travels to NC State this year so if those numbers are decent I think they would have a good chance at the car care bowl.  Certainly if we drop into the lower BE bowls (which to be frank, suck) a game in St. Pete would be likely.

• Content Count:  500
  • Days Won:  0

I think Brett is a bit off on this one.  If USF has an impressive season with high average attendance and comes in a close second in the BE I think they have a good shot at making the Gator Bowl.  Notre Dame wont be bowl eligible so you can exclude them.  It is possible the Gator Bowl would want to save its Notre Dame/BE pick for next year but if USF has high attendance and is ranked I think it would be hard for the Gator Bowl to pass that up.

Also USF travels to NC State this year so if those numbers are decent I think they would have a good chance at the car care bowl.  Certainly if we drop into the lower BE bowls (which to be frank, suck) a game in St. Pete would be likely.

No it isnt. There was a 4 year contract, were 2 years it was a b12 team, and 2 years it was BE/ND.

• Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

Is this all Brett's opinion, on a bowl game that hasn't even been approved?

How many tickets did we sell to Papa John's?  I thought it was more than 2,000?

If we don't get BCS, then I don't see a problem playing in St Pete.  Of course you don't like playing against CUSA, but it would be an easy win, well attended, no travel costs.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Brett was dead on last year with his bowl prediction.

I wouldn't mind the Bulls playing in front of a huge crowd at the Trop (take that TSA), but against C-USA?  I like the potential leverage gained (if only symbolic), but not the opponent we'd face.

:throwup2

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

No it isnt. There was a 4 year contract, were 2 years it was a b12 team, and 2 years it was BE/ND.

Yes - Pretty sure 4 year period began in 2007 when Gator Bowl selected WVU.  This year they took a B12 team, and a big part of that was if they had taken a BE team they would have to take a B12 team for the next 2 years.  If they take a BE team in 2009 they would have to take a B12 team in 2010 (conversly if they take a B12 team in 2009 they have to take a BE team in 2010).

• Content Count:  2,523
  • Days Won:  0

Hey, adding another win to our win total and probably a BLOWOUT will help more than getting blown out by Oregon last year as all recruits see is a W and the highlights on ESPN.  Don't think last year's result was better than what we would've done had we gone in and obliterated UCF 64-12 in a bowl game.  It would've showed we deserved to play "up" vs. getting shelled by Oregon reinforced the idea many held we were seriously overrated.  That beating by oregon really hurt, but luckily we generated enough pub during our run up to #2 the effects on recruiting were already taking hold. 

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

While our travel to the Sun Bowl certainly improved things.

We brought 4500 to Charlotte, 4800 to Birmingham, and 4000 to El Paso.

While we have improved, if ND IS 7-5 they'd be considered and possibly taken over 2-3 loss USF.

The Gator Bowl has a big black eye since they were absolutely destroyed by TV ratings to the Citrus Bowl

I think Brett is a bit off on this one.  If USF has an impressive season with high average attendance and comes in a close second in the BE I think they have a good shot at making the Gator Bowl.  Notre Dame wont be bowl eligible so you can exclude them.  It is possible the Gator Bowl would want to save its Notre Dame/BE pick for next year but if USF has high attendance and is ranked I think it would be hard for the Gator Bowl to pass that up.

Also USF travels to NC State this year so if those numbers are decent I think they would have a good chance at the car care bowl.  Certainly if we drop into the lower BE bowls (which to be frank, suck) a game in St. Pete would be likely.

Yes - Pretty sure 4 year period began in 2007 when Gator Bowl selected WVU.  This year they took a B12 team, and a big part of that was if they had taken a BE team they would have to take a B12 team for the next 2 years.  If they take a BE team in 2009 they would have to take a B12 team in 2010 (conversely if they take a B12 team in 2009 they have to take a BE team in 2010).

The Grouper is correct on this one.

I disagree that USF has a chance at the Gator Bowl. USF does not travel well -- YET!

USF won't sell more than 2,000 tickets to NC State... we sold less than 4,000 to Auburn.  For the MCC and PJC bowls it was around 4500 each ("sold" - not including band, staff, etc)...

USF couldn't sell 12,000 - 15,00 Gator Bowl tickets... our fan base just isn't there yet.

Archived