• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

To truly be a BULL

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

Responding to those that replied:

Mutt suggested passing out flyers making students aware of the games, etc.  This to me, unfortunately, is not an effective solution. 

Believe me, I feel your pain. I've been busting my huevos to bring people to the light to USF for ever...

The flyer idea was just a stupid trick that has brought some attention to the PCAC for us over the years, but the real reason for my response was you gotta try new ideas to get people off of their asses. Have you ever scheduled a meeting around/before a game? Passed out information at other (well-tended) events?  You really have to dig deep to find a market for your product, believe me, it's a real pain trying to "create fans" from scratch.

(Personally, I used to take my wife to the mall just so I could circle the parking lots and put newsletters in cars that had BULLS licence plates or stickers on them.)  (I'm a sick puppy)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

The greeks should be leading the charge for school spirit but since the time I went to USF they have been followers.  It is more of a social click for them to hang together rather than build USF up to the level of a real Division I school.  They need to improve and should require all the current members to attend X number of games.  Once again, the Greeks continue to prove that USF is a commuter school.

• Content Count:  571
  • Days Won:  0

They need to improve and should require all the current members to attend X number of games.  Once again, the Greeks continue to prove that USF is a commuter school.

thats a great idea with the mandatory attendence.

starting in 09 USF will technically no longer be a commuter school because of mandating that will require freshman to live on campus.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

why single out the Greeks?

fraternity and sorority members are by far a huge minority on USFs campuses. When I was an undergrad, if it weren't for these organizations, you would barely have any floats in the homecoming parade or at many campus events.

be disgusted all you want. For most who never joined an organization like this, you'll never really understand what they are about. And I certainly won't bother trying to tell you what it meant to me.

Mike, they were different back then.  USF was still a crappy commuter school, and the only real way to network was to be in the Greeks.  I'm sure they meant a lot to you then, and still do now.

However, have you seen what they are all about nowadays?  I had four years (2000-2004) of seeing their "Greek Life" and all of the glory that went with it.  Idiots getting trashed one Saturday night, then picking up trash on Fowler on Saturday morning to be "community involved".  Charlie Aguirre buying buttloads of UCF tickets for his frat boys & student government buddies instead of letting the general student body have the "One ID, One Ticket".  I'm sorry.  I just don't get it.

No hate here for the Greeks, but no love, either.  At least not until attitudes change. 

i had a ball all 4 years

you guys complain too much

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

They need to improve and should require all the current members to attend X number of games.  Once again, the Greeks continue to prove that USF is a commuter school.

thats a great idea with the mandatory attendence.

starting in 09 USF will technically no longer be a commuter school because of mandating that will require freshman to live on campus.

this is america

i believe in free choice

no one should be forced to do to attend a sporting event

it is usf's job to make events attractive to draw fans

• Content Count:  470

this is america

i believe in free choice

no one should be forced to do to attend a sporting event

it is usf's job to make events attractive to draw fans

Just a quick response.  However, smazza, rizman was suggesting that Greek organizations should mandate attendance to events for their members. You are surely misguided if you think that a new member in a fraternity / sorority maintains a right to free choice. 

I am not going to say that my former fraternity required me to attend anything, but you could say that ;)

• Content Count:  701

Here's my say as chapter advisor for Delta Chi:

When there's competition... Greeks show up.  Look at homecoming... it's a competition for a trophy and bragging rights (which BTW our team is the reigning champ!)  This adds up for points for National Awards from Delta Chi and even helps with RUSH in the following semesters. 

They could easily do a Greek sign in and keep track of attendance.  Winners get a beer truck!  just kidding... but athletics could get more greeks out for a "greek night" if they focused more on how their target market operates.  Yes, a lot of greeks run on beer, but some of them don't.  Some organizations cannot drink if it's made an official brotherhood/sisterhood event. 

Maybe they had plans for this already that I didn't know about, but they could have done a better job marketing.  All the chapters presidents of every greek organization on campus meets atleast 1 or 2 a month in the marshall center.  A rep from ATH could have easily created a buzz in one of those meetings.

our chapter only heard about it through a flyer and because one of our brothers works for athletics. 

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

As someone who works for a "commuter school". Students living on campua really have NOTHING to do with the tag.

It has more to do with the makeup of the student body, where they are from, money donated to school by alumni, etc.

A magazine did an article on iy based on the University of Houston fighting the commuter image but still being considered one. If you can find it on google it's good and does go through the same problems USF has.

• Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

Rizman...it is not like Greeks make up an enormous amount of the student body. Why dont you get the non-Greeks involved? I NEVER see people that arent Greek out, they dont do very much on this campus.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

And yes, me and some of my brothers were there last night...it was a sad showing....yeah, there wasnt a lot of Greeks there, but where were the people not in fraternities or sororities? Did they fail the university as well?

Yes.

Archived