• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Takes Control Of Athlete Academics

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Looks like we are preemptively installing institutional procedures due to the fact we may be sanctioned this spring by the NCAA for continued poor academic performance of our athletes. . . ugh.

I would bet it has much more to do with USF's long term goal of joing the AAU

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Special exceptions are those who meet the NCAA minimums but not the school's own admission requirements.  The ESPN Outside the Lines report said that UF averaged 15 a year the last 3 years.  The reality is that football is the only reason most of these kids are accepted at the schools they are.

• Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

http://www.tidesport.org/Grad%20Rates/2006-07%20NCAA%20Bowl%20Study%20Table.pdf

That link is for Graduation Success Rates based upon 2007 Bowl Teams and it seems to me that USF has been pretty successful at graduating its athletes when compared to other programs, especially black student athletes.  Why do these articles have to be all negative and why did it have to include a comment for a UCiF official?  I still say it stinks.

Eleven of 18 new football players at USF last summer and fall, or 61 percent, were admitted as an exception to the state university system's admission standards, according to university records.

Was Saban right after all??

Shame on you Jim  ??? Satan is and always will be a complete asshat.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Eleven of 18 new football players at USF last summer and fall, or 61 percent, were admitted as an exception to the state university system's admission standards, according to university records.

As far as I know, all of them are still eligible. We didn't have one guy miss the trip to El Paso because of grades. Thats mu point. They made it in as an exception, but apparently they are making the grades to continue playing.

I hope the sanctions comment isn't accurate, otherwise, I think this is just stupid. I would be willing to bet that a lot of the exceptions were for test scores. How many people do not test well? I have always been blessed to test well with limited knowledge, but I have known a lot of people a whole lot smarter than me that I continually beat on tests because they just weren't good test takers.

And yeah, right before signing day, great timing USF. Things like this could force CJL to go elsewhere if the right job comes along.

• Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

You have to remember that USF and state admission standards are higher than NCAA standards.  Not sure how that compares to Alabama standards.

This does seem odd to report the day before national signing day and on the front page?  A whole story to tell us that USF has done nothing wrong and has changed a few policies.

I think anytime a state university changes an academic procedure it should be on the front page of the Trib.

Makes you wonder if the Trib is bitter that the St Pete Times is the official newspaper of USF athletics.

http://www.bus.ucf.edu/sport/public/downloads/2007-2008_NCAA_Bowl_Study_Attachment_Table.xls

This is a spreadsheet from UCiF business school.  Wow, UCiF and especially their black student athletes have a big deficit compared to USF.  I don't think getting input from a UCiF clown was the most appropriate input Mr. Reporter  >:D

• Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

And yeah, right before signing day, great timing USF. Things like this could force CJL to go elsewhere if the right job comes along.

Why are you blaming USF?  The Trib held this story until today.  The emails they reported date back to August.

It's not like USF held a presser yesterday to announce the changes.

• Content Count:  919
  • Days Won:  0

The timing of the article is suspect, however the academic changes seem sound.  USF has done nothing wrong, and is no different than most other football schools who have special exemptions for athletes.

• Content Count:  645
  • Days Won:  0

I would think that this is NEWS that the NEWSPAPER should report.

You guys were so upset when the local people were not reporting on USF, now you only want the feel good stories too.

The guys at the Trib and Times are not on the USF payroll.

WELCOME TO BIG TIME NCAA SPORTS.

Sorry if I misrepresented my feelings on this.  Sure it is news and they have every right to publish this.  My comment (while probably not stated correctly) was meant to infer that USF isn't getting any breaks from the hometown paper right before signing day.

Yesterday Brett went with the story about McCarthy going to USA, only to have to retract that 2 hours later.  This could have had an effect on a recruit since the coaches can not contact the recruit to straighten things out (I believe we are in a quiet period).  Now today we have Brett writing this article.  While overall it is a really good thing that is happening IMHO, there are parts that can be (and will be) taken out of context.

Again, I am sorry if anyone misunderstood.  I don't want to take this thread down the path of bashing the reporter.

Archived