• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bye Bye Odoms???

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,894
  • Days Won:  0

miami is in need of quality wr's because they have none, so he would get pt there. If we land him id be suprised but pretty excited because you can never get enough regardless of what you have.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  98

They speculate at WVU's page that he will ride for free this year on a track scholarship and greyshirt in football only to take a football scholarship next year.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=159#s=159&f=2508&t=1971358

Just seems like they are breaking the rules a tad bit, but the young man is very fast and will compete on the track team.

The question I have is, you have five years to play four, so if he runs track, no matter the sport, I believe he will only have four years left on any football scholarship. 

• Content Count:  4,016

They speculate at WVU's page that he will ride for free this year on a track scholarship and greyshirt in football only to take a football scholarship next year.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=159#s=159&f=2508&t=1971358

Just seems like they are breaking the rules a tad bit, but the young man is very fast and will compete on the track team.

The question I have is, you have five years to play four, so if he runs track, no matter the sport, I believe he will only have four years left on any football scholarship. 

much more technical than that.  The NCAA has rules in place for this, and he cannot simply run track for a year then switch to football with no ramifications.  The only way this can happen is one of two things, a. Miami gets taxed his scholarship the year he ran track, which could get them in hotwater because they'll probably have already accepted 25 signees this year and could be at the 85 schollie limit, that would amount to NCAA sanctions; b.  obviously Miami wouldn't risk a recruiting violation so the next thing is Tay Odom would have to forgo his track scholarship and walk-on for a year on football, stop running track, and earn a football schollie for the following year.  Maybe they could get him grants, or academic scholarships (yeah right but then again this is Miami), but by no means can he simply switch over.

From what has been said I don't think he's been explained all the details behind this circumstance which is why he's waiting to sign an LOI.  He's finding himself on the outside looking in.  The NCAA has rules like this because years ago schools use to do this very same thing, before Title IX, signing kids that had track, croquet, or basket weaving scholarships and using them for football purposes.  Another one of those 'Bear Bryant' rules.

• Content Count:  1,741

The CANES can take 32 players this year I was told because of transfers.  They will still be right at the 85 , if they sign everyone.

SEE  POST ON ODOMS, two down.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Any school can only offer 25 scholarships a year with 85 total.  I believe you can get 2 counted back a year if they enroll in the spring.  Also, kids can grayshirt meaning they will enroll and pay their own way until next spring in which case they qualify for next year's class.  If Miami signs 32, they must expect that at either 5 kids grayshirt or won't qualify or some combination: 25 scholarships this year and counting 2 to last year for kids already enrolled.

• Content Count:  1,741

9 of them started school in January.

Just realized these are two different guys, this is about Montavius;

I'm a believer in West Virginia. In fact I have been a believer since they started recruiting me," Martavious Odoms told West Virginia Sports Report Monday night. "I think a lot of their head coach (Bill Stewart) and of course I've known Doc (Holliday). I got to meet their new wide receivers coach on their last visit down (Lonnie Galloway) here, so that was good too. It's a place I could see myself in the years to come."

Yet one of tradition-rich Pahokee's (Fla.) all-time pass catchers said he would wait past Wednesday's start of the national letter signing period to make a decision between the Wolverines, Mountaineers, and nearby Miami--his finalists. 

In four seasons at Pahokee, Odoms has 178 catches for 3,617 yards and 51 touchdowns. 

"One of the reporters had written last week that I was committing to Miami on a track scholarship but there must have been a misunderstanding," he said. "Miami offered me a little track scholarship, but I'm not that big on track. I do it (100 meters and 4X100m relay), but football is my major thing."

"I was supposed to have visited Miami before I went to Michigan, but there was a little misunderstanding. I may go down there for a visit after the start of the signing period and make my decision then. I still haven't decided yet and won't announce anything on signing day," he said.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

"I was supposed to have visited Miami before I went to Michigan, but there was a little misunderstanding. I may go down there for a visit after the start of the signing period and make my decision then. I still haven't decided yet and won't announce anything on signing day," he said.

Kind of a dangerous game to play, unless you figure to enroll late (need to take some junior college work).  A school could use up their schollies.

• Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

9 of them started school in January.

Just realized these are two different guys, this is about Montavius;

I'm a believer in West Virginia. In fact I have been a believer since they started recruiting me," Martavious Odoms told West Virginia Sports Report Monday night. "I think a lot of their head coach (Bill Stewart) and of course I've known Doc (Holliday). I got to meet their new wide receivers coach on their last visit down (Lonnie Galloway) here, so that was good too. It's a place I could see myself in the years to come."

Yet one of tradition-rich Pahokee's (Fla.) all-time pass catchers said he would wait past Wednesday's start of the national letter signing period to make a decision between the Wolverines, Mountaineers, and nearby Miami--his finalists. 

In four seasons at Pahokee, Odoms has 178 catches for 3,617 yards and 51 touchdowns. 

"One of the reporters had written last week that I was committing to Miami on a track scholarship but there must have been a misunderstanding," he said. "Miami offered me a little track scholarship, but I'm not that big on track. I do it (100 meters and 4X100m relay), but football is my major thing."

So I guess that means USF is out.  Bummer  :(  Oh, what is it that WVU does to take guys that other people think will not be eligible (Noel Devine) and make them eligible?

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

For what It's worth:

Odoms was the team's top deep threat this season and remains the area's biggest mystery. Blaze Thompson said Odoms is considering offers from Miami, South Florida, West Virginia and Michigan. A source close to Odoms said last week the race is really between South Florida and West Virginia, but that may have changed after Odoms visited Michigan last weekend.

"He hasn't decided yet - that's the God's honest truth," Thompson said. "He's torn. Each school has something to offer. He's been a UM fan for years. West Virginia runs the style of offense he likes, and so does South Florida. Michigan is going to start running it, and they don't have any wide receivers.

"We've spoken to the prospective colleges and they're going to hold his offer, so it's not going to affect him."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2008/02/06/0206pahokee.html?cxntlid=inform

• Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

so...Michigan...West Virginia...South Florida...Michigan is going to have a new offense and they have NO clue at this point who will be the QB...WVU...Pat White is not a great passer and is more of an athlete than QB...IMO...USF...Grothe will be a JR and it will be his 4th year with the team.He knows the offense and loves to throw to everybody. Obviously looking through green/gold glasses but USF looks like the best prepared offense in terms of what this kid wants as a WR.

Archived