• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Waiting to announce?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Choosing a university is a pretty big decision.  There are all kinds of factors that come into play, even before you consider the atheletics aspect.  If it's my kid, I certainly won't be rushing them into a decision.  This is five years of their life and whether they graduate and what they graduate with will affect the rest of their life. 

Really, it's like telling your 18 year old they need to decide on a spouse by Feb 6th, and they better rush the decision.  Even if they take the full time allotted, it's a lot to put on a high school kid.

The reality is that the bigger name players often wait until signing day.  It is an opportunity for them to announce in front of their schools and friends.  The NCAA says they cannot sign until February 6, so what is the big rush from their end?  No one is pulling a scholarship from those kids for not committing quicker, and it allows them to have more attention than most of them will ever be again.

As for kids who want to be a bull early and those that decide at the end, Mike Jenkins was a late decision maker.  I think he went past signing day. 

Two conflicting views here, and really the reason I started this thread. Sanjay, you, like me, think it is a little more about the kid getting all of the attention, be it from friends, coaches, media, whatever.

Data- your stance is more practical that the kid is really making a decision about the rest of thier life.

A couple more thoughts... Of the list Sanjay posted, you think that none of those kids have decided where they are going as of this second, and will not decide until next week? I tend to think that Streeter (all of them, but it is easier with a name) knows where he is going, but for whatever reason doesn't want to announce it.

I agree that it is a big decision, but one they have been working on for a while now. It's not like they were just thrown into it last week. Some have been being recruited for over a year, a lot of people get engaged after dating less than a year.

Even before that, they had a list I am sure. Say my list was Jessica Simpson, Jessica Alba, and Jessica Biel. If one of them comes calling, I probably don't have a difficult time committing to them. Of course, you now throw in a Carrie Underwood vs one of the Jessica's, and maybe it slows my decision a bit. 2-3 Jessica's and a Carrie, then who knows, but I think after spending a weekend with each and having them call non-stop, I would have a pretty good idea if I could spend the next 5 years with one of them.

Obviously over simplified, but I guess my thought is, maybe USF is the Carrie Underwood of the bunch. Two years ago, no one knew who we were, now, big time recruits are getting to be less dismissive when CJL comes calling because he is pretty attractive and can belt a tune...wait, I think I got my stories mixed up.

Way off subject, but Tony Romo seems to be stealing my list piece by piece.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Per ESPN, Greg Shaw committed to WVU late last night.  Its on their website as of today.

Link?

• Content Count:  505
  • Days Won:  0

Agree Sanjay.

The problem is that the big names waiting until signing day has a trickle down effect.

Terrelle Pryor may or may not go to Michigan.  Therefore RR seeks to hedge his bet and make a late move on BJ Daniels.

Despite the fact USF has cultivated a Daniels commit for over a year, we are twisting in the wind until Pryor has his "moment in the sun".

One of Pryor's coaches thinks it is Ohio State.  Could hurt us if it is.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/briefingroom?playerId=45002

• Content Count:  879

Per ESPN, Greg Shaw committed to WVU late last night.  Its on their website as of today.

Link?

Huh, that's odd.  I see a Shaw committed on the 28th, but it's not Greg Shaw.  Anyway, he is scheduled for a visit this weekend to WV.  If I were him, I think I would wait to verbal (especially at this late date) until I had my visit.

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

I just tried to go out and add the link, and now I can't find it.  Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me, or ESPN corrected it with the other Shaw's information since I first read it.  Sorry for the confusion.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

"Even before that, they had a list I am sure. Say my list was Jessica Simpson, Jessica Alba, and Jessica Biel. If one of them comes calling, I probably don't have a difficult time committing to them. Of course, you now throw in a Carrie Underwood vs one of the Jessica's, and maybe it slows my decision a bit. 2-3 Jessica's and a Carrie, then who knows, but I think after spending a weekend with each and having them call non-stop, I would have a pretty good idea if I could spend the next 5 years with one of them."

Carolina, that is the exact list I would continue to get attention from until signing day.  No early commitments when you're being recruited like that.   ;D

• Content Count:  919

"Even before that, they had a list I am sure. Say my list was Jessica Simpson, Jessica Alba, and Jessica Biel. If one of them comes calling, I probably don't have a difficult time committing to them. Of course, you now throw in a Carrie Underwood vs one of the Jessica's, and maybe it slows my decision a bit. 2-3 Jessica's and a Carrie, then who knows, but I think after spending a weekend with each and having them call non-stop, I would have a pretty good idea if I could spend the next 5 years with one of them."

Carolina, that is the exact list I would continue to get attention from until signing day.  No early commitments when you're being recruited like that.   ;D

Obviously, you commit to Jessica Biel.  ;)

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Obviously, you commit to Jessica Biel.  ;)

Maybe, but no sooner than signing day.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Carolina?? I must have got you all riled up about the Jessica's.

Definately Biel. I would probably never commit if those were my choices. In home visits, recruiting trips, how can a guy decide?

OK, I just want to be a place that guys don't even have to think about. "I got an offer from USF, no need to look any more, I am set".

• Content Count:  21

Some of the older guys will remember the hype that CI(Cornelius Ingram),announcement caused on this board. I don’t wanna see that happen again, never again(just recovered from that disappointment)will get so excited about a recruit .

>:(

Archived